Value of: Markstrom and Mangiapane

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
This was going to be my comment. Mangi at $5.8mil is market value. When he's playing his absolute best, you're getting a $5.8mil player. I wouldn't say there's a bunch of "extra value" in his deal. The TDL would be ideal, because I do believe you need to retain the 50% for it to be an enticing trade. But if you have a guy like Coronato, Pelltier, or Zary (even though Zary seems more like a staple now), then you have the ability to offset that retention all year and make moving him early a little more palatable.

You could even then get a player + pick back and move the player at a future date. For example (just using Penguins as the example), you do Mangi for Smith + 3rd. Then you move Smith at the TDL for an additional pick/prospect. I think that would be a good asset management move if the goal is to maximize return and the playoffs isn't the top priority
I like the asset management thinking and getting a player to be swapped later, but the whole idea around moving Mangi is to open a spot for JP/Coronato. So taking back an extra player doesn't make sense in this case.
Personally I think Sharongovich is the better move right now, cheaper & more attractive. Mangi &/or Kuzmenko would be better deadline deals to offset their salaries.

Has he been better than andersen the last few years?

Healthier, sure. But better?

Markstrom has a worse GSAx in 70 more games, a SV% 10 points lower, and let's in half a goal more per game
Yes

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
I like the asset management thinking and getting a player to be swapped later, but the whole idea around moving Mangi is to open a spot for JP/Coronato. So taking back an extra player doesn't make sense in this case.
Personally I think Sharongovich is the better move right now, cheaper & more attractive. Mangi &/or Kuzmenko would be better deadline deals to offset their salaries.

Yes
Based on what evidence?

Freddy was better in 21-22.
Freddy was better in 22-23.

Markstrom was healthier this year, but Freddy played at a 0.932 this year and lead the league in GSAx/60 after he came back
Screen Shot 2024-06-03 at 12.14.32 PM.png

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
Based on what evidence?

Markstrom was healthier this year, but Freddy played at a 0.932 this year and lead the league in GSAx/60 after he came backView attachment 879118
Can't claim Anderson was better when he only played 16 games lastyear.
You're saying Anderson was better in 21-22? Was he up for a Vezina?

Markstrom has been the better goalie over the past few years.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Can't claim Anderson was better when he only played 16 games lastyear.
You're saying Anderson was better in 21-22? Was he up for a Vezina?

Markstrom has been the better goalie over the past few years.
Freddy andersen was 4th place in vezina voting in 21-22 and won the jennings so yes. I am saying andersen was better that year yes.

Freddy Andersen put up a 0.932 this year. So again you are arguing that markstrom has been healthier.

Markstrom has less GSAx than Freddy over the past 3 years. A significantly lower save% and a significantly worse GAA

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
Freddy andersen was 4th place in vezina voting in 21-22 and won the jennings so yes. I am saying andersen was better that year yes.

Freddy Andersen put up a 0.932 this year. So again you are arguing that markstrom has been healthier.

Markstrom has less GSAx than Freddy over the past 3 years. A significantly lower save% and a significantly worse GAA
In what world is 4th better than 2nd?
Yes, when 1 goalie only plays 16 games, I take the goalie that was his teams MVP.

If you're not interested in him, move on.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I think they keep Sharongovich. Guys like him are too tough to find and get. That said, I think there would be massive interest. I could easily see a 1st going out for him. Especially if it's a high first, I think plenty of teams would be willing to do a late 1st + high-end prospect.
Based on what evidence?

Markstrom was healthier this year, but Freddy played at a 0.932 this year and lead the league in GSAx/60 after he came backView attachment 879118
I don't think many people are going to buy that Andersen is better than Markstrom. Andersen had the benefit of playing on a significantly better team than Markstrom. Looking at those stats, I'm okay with a .905 sv% if you're getting 50 starts from him (and the team was Calgary).

Reactions: FLAMESFAN

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011

I mean you're making some reasonable statistical arguments. Let me ask you this:

Do you want Fitz to hitch his wagon to a starting goalie who you hope to play 55ish games to a guy who hasn't been able to stay healthy? Andersen is a good goalie. But Andersen has missed half or more of the season in 3 of the last 4 years. He has chronic lower body issues and also has problems with blood clots. Would you be happy rolling with him going in to next season?

I'm a Flames fan. We wasted all but one season of our contention window with poor and unreliable goaltending. The one season we had it we finished 1st in the West and then our core left in free agency or asked for trades.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
I mean you're making some reasonable statistical arguments. Let me ask you this:

Do you want Fitz to hitch his wagon to a starting goalie who you hope to play 55ish games to a guy who hasn't been able to stay healthy? Andersen is a good goalie. But Andersen has missed half or more of the season in 3 of the last 4 years. He has chronic lower body issues and also has problems with blood clots. Would you be happy rolling with him going in to next season?

I'm a Flames fan. We wasted all but one season of our contention window with poor and unreliable goaltending. The one season we had it we finished 1st in the West and then our core left in free agency or asked for trades.
I would pay more for Markstrom than for Andersen yes.

But my point was about the claim that markstrom has been "definitely better". Which I disagree with.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
I think they keep Sharongovich. Guys like him are too tough to find and get. That said, I think there would be massive interest. I could easily see a 1st going out for him. Especially if it's a high first, I think plenty of teams would be willing to do a late 1st + high-end prospect.

I don't think many people are going to buy that Andersen is better than Markstrom. Andersen had the benefit of playing on a significantly better team than Markstrom. Looking at those stats, I'm okay with a .905 sv% if you're getting 50 starts from him (and the team was Calgary).
Are we going to pretend that Calgary's dcore in any year except post deadline 2024 was bad?

And again, that's where GSAx comes in to account for the quality of shots they face

21-22: Tanev, Hanifin, Andersson, Zadorov, Kylington, Gudbranson. All healthy basically all year
22-23: Tanev, Hanifin, Weegar, Zadorov, Andersson.
23-24: Tanev, Hanifin, Weegar, Andersson.

It got ugly after the deadline yes, and so did markstrom. He was at 0.870

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Are we going to pretend that Calgary's dcore in any year except post deadline 2024 was bad?

And again, that's where GSAx comes in to account for the quality of shots they face

21-22: Tanev, Hanifin, Andersson, Zadorov, Kylington, Gudbranson. All healthy basically all year
22-23: Tanev, Hanifin, Weegar, Zadorov, Andersson.
23-24: Tanev, Hanifin, Weegar, Andersson.

It got ugly after the deadline yes, and so did markstrom. He was at 0.870
The D corps was very solid for those seasons except for the end of 2024 after the TDL. The player deployment under Sutter was certainly questionable. The system under Huska is certainly questionable.

We gave up a lot of high danger chances for the D corps we had in place. We've been a bottom 25% team in that regard. We also have had a low end forward group since the Tkachuk/Gaudreau departures. We likely had the 3rdd worst defense in the league post TDL behind only AZ and SJ.

Ledge And Dairy

Sharangovich and Mangiapane are cut from the same thread. It's really as simple as yegor has better synergy with Huberdeau than Mange and can fill in at center. Besides that I would give Mange the better 5v5 defensive play but that's about it. Sharangovich is going to get ~6M on his next deal too, what's enticing with trading Sharangovich now is his current 3M cap hit plus coming off a strong season

Reactions: SEALBound

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Sharangovich and Mangiapane are cut from the same thread. It's really as simple as yegor has better synergy with Huberdeau than Mange and can fill in at center. Besides that I would give Mange the better 5v5 defensive play but that's about it. Sharangovich is going to get ~6M on his next deal too, what's enticing with trading Sharangovich now is his current 3M cap hit plus coming off a strong season
Interesting insight, thanks.

Is Sharangovich really a guy they should be giving up though? I mean, cap is going up to 87.7 then should be somewhere around 90. It's not like a raise to $6mil is that significant in the grand scheme. Especially for a guy that synergizes well with Hubs.

Ledge And Dairy

Interesting insight, thanks.

Is Sharangovich really a guy they should be giving up though? I mean, cap is going up to 87.7 then should be somewhere around 90. It's not like a raise to $6mil is that significant in the grand scheme. Especially for a guy that synergizes well with Hubs.
It depends on the offer, as well as what he would be looking for on his next deal. Flames won't be near the cap ceiling for a couple years so it's more about staying above the floor. Sharangovich being 2 years younger than Mange makes him more appealing to keep around, but neither really fits our timeline great. Especially since most of our top prospects are wingers projected for the 2nd and 3rd line (Coronato, Pelletier, Honzek, Suniev, etc).

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
It depends on the offer, as well as what he would be looking for on his next deal. Flames won't be near the cap ceiling for a couple years so it's more about staying above the floor. Sharangovich being 2 years younger than Mange makes him more appealing to keep around, but neither really fits our timeline great. Especially since most of our top prospects are wingers projected for the 2nd and 3rd line (Coronato, Pelletier, Honzek, Suniev, etc).
Fair but timelines are all relevant. Teams still need decent players to surround those kids with.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
So with the season over, why does Calgary move Markstrom? They don't have a sure thing in Wolf coming off last season. Obviously he's a great prospect but does Calgary just hand him the keys with no net? Calgary ownership does not seem to favor a rebuild and apparently nixed a deal with NJ at the TDL over retention (although something tells me it was maybe more that ownership didn't want to send that message to the team) so why would they agree to retain now? I'm skeptical he moves this offseason. How does Calgary tell season ticket holders that pick 24-28 is worth it for them over two more years of an established netminder? Beyond that the team seemed to leave him twisting in the wind around the deadline and he clearly didn't appreciate it. He's a family man and probably wants stability. I suspect the Markstrom trade ship has sailed for now.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
No arguments on that but I think Backlund, Coleman, Kadri, and Huberdeau all fill that role decently enough. I'm not saying he will be traded or should be traded, just that the option should absolutely be explored
Yeah, I mean if they can get a haul for him, I say do it because I agree - I don't think this is Calgary's "time". At the same time, as we all kinda know, the roster as constructed is so odd. Tough to know which direction to go in. You could squeeze in as the WC2 just as easily as finishing last. Penguins are in the same boat.

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
So with the season over, why does Calgary move Markstrom? They don't have a sure thing in Wolf coming off last season. Obviously he's a great prospect but does Calgary just hand him the keys with no net? Calgary ownership does not seem to favor a rebuild and apparently nixed a deal with NJ at the TDL over retention (although something tells me it was maybe more that ownership didn't want to send that message to the team) so why would they agree to retain now? I'm skeptical he moves this offseason. How does Calgary tell season ticket holders that pick 24-28 is worth it for them over two more years of an established netminder? Beyond that the team seemed to leave him twisting in the wind around the deadline and he clearly didn't appreciate it. He's a family man and probably wants stability. I suspect the Markstrom trade ship has sailed for now.

All depends on what direction we end up going - signing FAs with the cap space available and finish just outside the playoffs again, or going full on rebuild (I'll use the word).
Problem with the trying to compete is if we do fall short again, which is very likely, we have to send Montreal our 1st due to that brutal Monahan trade.
Many of us can see the need to tear it down, and if we go that direction we won't need Markstrom, and Markstrom won't want to end his career like that either. I think he would be very open to going to a team that just needs stable goaltending to make some playoff noise, and there are more than a couple of those out there.
If the Team does go rebuild, the Markstrom ship is just starting to sail.

Reactions: My3Sons

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
All depends on what direction we end up going - signing FAs with the cap space available and finish just outside the playoffs again, or going full on rebuild (I'll use the word).
Problem with the trying to compete is if we do fall short again, which is very likely, we have to send Montreal our 1st due to that brutal Monahan trade.
Many of us can see the need to tear it down, and if we go that direction we won't need Markstrom, and Markstrom won't want to end his career like that either. I think he would be very open to going to a team that just needs stable goaltending to make some playoff noise, and there are more than a couple of those out there.
If the Team does go rebuild, the Markstrom ship is just starting to sail.
I’m sure the fans would welcome a real rebuild but owners typically have to be dragged kicking and screaming into them. Sending him out now for a pick is pretty much punting on the season unless Wolf hits immediately. Maybe he does he’s certainly got that potential but I think the safer play is to keep both and hope Wolf makes Markstrom expendable by the TDL. Right now would be a difficult sell to ownership and season ticket holders .

Ledge And Dairy

Yeah, I mean if they can get a haul for him, I say do it because I agree - I don't think this is Calgary's "time". At the same time, as we all kinda know, the roster as constructed is so odd. Tough to know which direction to go in. You could squeeze in as the WC2 just as easily as finishing last. Penguins are in the same boat.
The direction is pretty clear to me. They have 2 options, suck until 2030 or try and do a fast turnaround like Dallas and LA did, for like a 3 year window before sucking again until 2030

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
The direction is pretty clear to me. They have 2 options, suck until 2030 or try and do a fast turnaround like Dallas and LA did, for like a 3 year window before sucking again until 2030
Agreed. Asset management is the name of the game to speed up the rebuild in a proper way. You don't move Huberdeau because it costs assets. I think Weegar and Backlund are the right guys to keep to build culture. You try to maximize guys like Sharangovich, Kuzmenko, Andersson, Mangiapane, Kadri and Markstrom. Coleman I could go either way with, but if you're moving him do it now.

I think we already missed on maximizing Markstrom. Norman strikes again. Can't miss on those other guys. Coleman, Sharangovich and Andersson are all guys I'd explore moving this offseason. Their value will likely not increase come TDL and could decrease with time. I'm not sure you get anything for Kadri, but if you can then go for it. Kuzmenko and Mangiapane are obvious deadline guys.

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
I'd move 23 OA for Markstrom
Not saying I want to trade #23 for Markstrom, but if we are doing it, I'd rather do Jarnkrok or Kämpf + #23 and open up a small amount of cap for Leafs to work with this summer. Flames probably say no to Kämpf which is fine.

Or Kämpf + Jarnkrok + #23 + pick/prospect for Markstrom + Mangiapane (50% retained)

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Not saying I want to trade #23 for Markstrom, but if we are doing it, I'd rather do Jarnkrok or Kämpf + #23 and open up a small amount of cap for Leafs to work with this summer. Flames probably say no to Kämpf which is fine.

Or Kämpf + Jarnkrok + #23 + pick/prospect for Markstrom + Mangiapane (50% retained)
Mangiapane I'd want a 2nd for at 50%. No interest in the 2 cap dumps. If you want to dump both and keep your pick Easton Cowan is a nice name.

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
Mangiapane I'd want a 2nd for at 50%. No interest in the 2 cap dumps. If you want to dump both and keep your pick Easton Cowan is a nice name.
Leafs would give the 2nd or just not make the trade. Cowan is projected to be a Knies level asset for us ("only trade if a foolish team overpays, absolutely do not trade for fair value, future core piece").

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
A 10 year rebuild is always a failed rebuild (or more than one failed rebuild). That means the player you drafted at the start is now a vet on the decline. Now where you want to be. A 3-5 year rebuild is a rebuild done properly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad