Confirmed with Link: Markstrom (1.875m retained) to NJD for Bahl & 2025 1st round pick (top 10 protected)

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I think had this exact deal been proposed previously, the acceptability of it would've been considered low by most.

At least it is a move in the right direction, a proper rebuild.
The only thing I am surprised about is I thought we'd get one of Daws or Schmid back as well.

Reactions: Fig

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
The only thing I am surprised about is I thought we'd get one of Daws or Schmid back as well.
I was surprised Allen wasn't included. Daws and Schmid are why getting Markstrom made more sense than paying more for Ullmark or Saros as Markstrom gives them 2 years to see who is better as opposed to extending someone long term

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
The value is what someone is willing to pay. That's all I'm saying. Everyone keeps crossing their arms defaulting to "it's a 34 year old goalie..." a 34 year old has lots left in the tank for a team that feels they should be in the finals every year. I'm not willing to assume Fitzgerald had Schneider and Mike Smith on his mind. He wanted a goalie. Maybe he would have traded 10OA for Saros, maybe not.
I'm glad they got the pick for Markstrom.
Sure, in the most basic sense you can say that. But “what a team is willing to pay” is going to depend on numerous factors. And I think you are downplaying the value of comparables. I don’t think fitz was thinking of the Mike smith trade specifically, but I’m sure he understood what comparable trades got and what he would give as a result.

And there’s no guatentee markstrom really has “a lot of gas in the tank.” I think that’s a reasonable assumption to make for a 27 year old goalie, but marky could be at the end of his rope at anytime. We won’t know until he plays.

Anyways, I just like arguing. I agree with your conclusion.

SaintMorose

Jul 21, 2009
Capfriendly shows both as waiver exempt and Allen is gone after this season so I think they likely tandem the ahl and the Devils will make a choice next off-season

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I think had this exact deal been proposed previously, the acceptability of it would've been considered low by most.

At least it is a move in the right direction, a proper rebuild.

If on January 1st the idea of a late first and whatever D prospect was floated for Marky, I think anyone would have been excited he was no longer a cap dump as per the expectations of the last off season.

Honestly the TDL rumors warped the value idea immensely.

Value basis wise, this feels like our Elliott trade. I hope this goes in both teams favors vs one team getting blegh value from the trade.

I still think there's a possibility of a side trade for something like that. Flames and NJD wanted to finish and hammer out the major deal here.

Slowly figuring out a goalie prospect they'd move so that we have a legit goalie prospect + one of our excess LD to address their lack of d prospects might still be a move between the two orgs IMO.

But they can both obviously chat with other teams to do such a trade too.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Capfriendly shows both as waiver exempt and Allen is gone after this season so I think they likely tandem the ahl and the Devils will make a choice next off-season
I know, but they also have Poulter who had solid numbers in the AHL last season.

Boomstick

Oct 29, 2003
St. Catharines, Ontario
Visit site
Welcome to Calgary Bahl. Thanks Marky, and good luck in NJ.
Good job Conroy, I'm glad it's finally done.

I'm kind of hoping someone throws an overpayment our way for Raz. Some teams out there need D in a big way.
But we'll see, I don't think Conroy is done yet.
Also congrats to Dustin Wolf. The future for you is now. No more AHL for you.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
It’s a trade that needed to be made but I was hoping we could get a forward

I still think we can, or I think Conroy thinks it's more likely we get a forward if guys like Mangiapane and Kuzmenko are flipped.

But I also think that maybe Conroy is more optimistic our forward prospects will graduate full time vs our defensive prospects graduate full time.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
I think I get it - if you acquire ALL of the under 24 defensemen in the league, you have a monopoly and can name your price.

Snag two more at the draft why not?

You'll like Bahl. Big minute muncher that is reliable for your bottom pair. Don't ask him to do more than that though.
Can I ask him to punch faces?

Last edited:
Reactions: Boomstick and Fig

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
It's fair.

And should be fairly obvious now, even to the biggest doubters, that the Flames are 100% rebuilding, regardless of whatever platitudes they say out loud.

But they have too many bottom pairing defensemen. Somethings gotta give.

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
We needed a DMan like Bahl. Wonder if we still target that in the 2nd/3rd rnds or now load up on forwards?

Lets all just hope that Florida finishes ahead of NJ so we don't have a ton of Montreal posters nagging us for stupid trades all year. :)

Reactions: Boomstick

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
We needed a DMan like Bahl. Wonder if we still target that in the 2nd/3rd rnds or now load up on forwards?

Lets all just hope that Florida finishes ahead of NJ so we don't have a ton of Montreal posters nagging us for stupid trades all year. :)

I think that the Silayev mentions in the draft thread shows that the logic is valid. Now that we have a guy like Bahl who could be a good Brewski partner, adding an extra or two in the mid rounds isn't a terrible idea and I think we focus on a forward in this years draft.

Khrox

May 31, 2018
Pretty solid for an older goalie on the expensive side who had a NMC. The entirety of my UFA wish list was a big snarly bottom 3 dman so that's taken care of too.
And the fact that he's still young (literally turning 24 in like 2 weeks) is a big plus. Looks like we got a full compliment of young up and coming defensemen with a varying set of skills in Brzu, Bahl, Solo, Gru, Poirier, Jurmo, Miro, Kylington. And then there is Hurtig and Morin who were drafted last year, I'd say 2 of those are NHL'ers right now (Miro and Kyl). If 3 of those other ones become NHL'ers in the next 3 years, we definitely look really good there.

Reactions: Boomstick

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
Our defense is loaded for next season (assuming we retain Kylington)

Andersson - Weegar
Bahl - Kylington
Solovyov - Miromanov
Hanley - Pachal
Does loaded in this context mean with bodies, or with talent? I’m not sure it’s the strongest group

This was my favorite shift of Bahl as a Devil:

Does he routinely leave a 2 on 1 net front behind him as a “defensive defenceman”?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad