HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #88: 2024 Off-Season Thread

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
The Devils desperately need to add some grit to their top 6 and they're looking at using arguably their best trade asset to acquire Necas...
Makes a ton of sense for the Devils who have a bright young team, they don't really need the 10th overall, does Carolina really want to trade him in the division though...

BoneHutson

Mar 26, 2023
If the NJ-Necas rumour is true, then I hope Hughes is trying everything to be involved in that trade. If the base of the trade is 10oa for Necas, I could see CAR trying to move the pick for immediate help on defense, which imo makes us an amazing fit with Matheson.

Something like that could work imo:
MTL: 10th
NJ: Necas
CAR: Matheson + 57th OA + Solid prospect (Farrell, Mesar or Heineman)

We could then draft Iginla or Sennecke there.

Habs7631

Feb 28, 2017
The Devils desperately need to add some grit to their top 6 and they're looking at using arguably their best trade asset to acquire Necas...

Same exact thing with the Sabres.

To be fair, good power forwards or two-way forwards who are strong on the boards just don’t get traded. Guentzel got traded last year at the deadline but that’s because he was a rental.

There’s a reason why players like Necas/Zegras are the ones being put up in trade talks. I can’t speak for Zegras as I don’t even know if he really is on the market but we know Necas is and it makes sense. Contending teams like Carolina don’t trade their 25 years old forwards that can contribute 50 points. Look at Vancouver paying the price just to dump Mikheyev so they can make cap room for their other targets
(Guentzel/Zadorov/Hronek).

If Necas was really as good as Canes fans are saying, Canes management would pay the price to dump KK to make room for him and keep their contending windows open. He’s a good complimentary piece but he wants to get paid like a first liner. I’ve already spoken about him at length and all the red flags with him.

I don’t know about the Sabres, but I know Devils fans speak a lot about about their GM being on the hot seat. Like make the playoffs or he’s gone.

This is the type of move a GM who wants to keep his paycheck does. Trade a top 10 pick for the best thing he can get in order to get his team into the playoffs. And in this case it happens to be Necas, because no one is trading a top pairing defenseman or a true power forward ala Slaf/Brady for pick #10/#11.

Devils have a super good young core under team control for a long time. Their management should take their time, use the pick on someone like Sennecke/Iginla/Catton/Nygard/Helenius/Parekh//Dickinson.

Sure that player could bust but if that player reaches close to their potential, many of those guys have a much higher ceiling than Necas. Necas at 8M doesn’t make them a contender. Drafting one of those guys and that player hitting their ceiling or close to it while on a bargain contract does.

Canes have been one of the better run organizations. Dundon for all his flaws has built a top tier organization with a long standing vision. Seems to me like one of the best run franchises in the league is about to take one of the shittier ones for a dance.

HabzSauce

Jun 10, 2022
If the NJ-Necas rumour is true, then I hope Hughes is trying everything to be involved in that trade. If the base of the trade is 10oa for Necas, I could see CAR trying to move the pick for immediate help on defense, which imo makes us an amazing fit with Matheson.

Now we're talking. Very creative proposal. That would be awesome for us, I would do that

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
If the NJ-Necas rumour is true
Man New Jersey isn't messing around. Adding Markstrom, Necas, and Pesce would do wonders for that team.
then I hope Hughes is trying everything to be involved in that trade. If the base of the trade is 10oa for Necas, I could see CAR trying to move the pick for immediate help on defense, which imo makes us an amazing fit with Matheson.

Matheson probably doesn't have that kind of value, but he also doesn't fit the Canes defense when they already got Slavin/Orlov there. Doubt he'd play on the PP with Burns on there too.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

BoneHutson

Mar 26, 2023
Now we're talking. Very creative proposal. That would be awesome for us, I would do that
Yeah, the interest for Necas from NJ is a good news for us if we want an extra top pick. Some people were proposing Matheson to NJ for 10, but they have no need for him. Carolina however… They could 100% use Matheson and he fits their window

jrom

Mar 28, 2022
Trading Matheson now makes lot of sense if the return is a quality RHD dman prospect along with a +. if you can get that then imo it makes total sense. Matheson is now 30 and like Petry he wont be eternal. Petry became a cap dump overnight at 33.

Again i know it's very popular around here to think all players can dominate until 40 but the reality is most player hit a wall between 30 and 35. If you trade Matheson and Reinbacher/Mailloux are not ready you can just sign a placeholder for a year.

What is a quality RHD dman, someone like Barron or better ? I don’t think Matheson needs to stay on the team but how can he be so bad AND at the same time return those assets ?

I think his value for the current Habs roster is much higher than whatever we’ll get from a trade so expect to be be “disappointed” when he’s not traded this year.

It’s like Anderson, for sure other teams were sending us a 1st for Anderson without retention, some Habs blog said so.

Dvorak & Barron are the ones that need to go this year.

Reactions: Garnet76

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
I'm hearing somethings

Expect a few buyout tomorrow. Trying to track down names now. I'm just sitting on my ass not doing anything except wondering why the weather is acting like a woman. Bright and sunny, then a hard down pour, then chill again

Teams are looking to move up in the draft. Everything remains fluid. With that said, don't forget to fill up on blinker fluid, you don't want to be a dbag who doesn't use your indicators !

Teams that are low on something, like few dmen, or goalies will look to add those via trade, or free agency.

Expect about 32 picks to be made Friday night

The movie 101 dalmatians has like 70 dogs in it.

They actually used 600 dalmatians for that movie. The movie took 6 months to film, and the dogs needed to be puppies, so they had to switch them out when they were getting too old.

John B

Nov 19, 2016
Mike Matheson is now number 13 on The Athletic's trade board, up from number 19 last week.

Sorry to those who want to keep him, but it seems he's on the block.
Has there been any rumors from reliable sources that connects him to any teams or is this just sports writers speculation because of the log jam on the left side? Just wondering anyone has read or heard something more specific.

Deus ex machina

Sep 12, 2023
Has there been any rumors from reliable sources that connects him to any teams or is this just sports writers speculation because of the log jam on the left side? Just wondering anyone has read or heard something more specific.
It comes from Chris Johnston, who's a credible insider.
Might be just speculation, but i doubt it.
Players that appear on these boards are usually there for a reason.

Reactions: John B

Kents polished head

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
Man is our depth chart terrible.

We have Caufield - Suzuki - Slaf. After, we have Dach coming off a 1 year hiatus, flanked by Newhook (?) and... Anderson?

Then it's a collection of Gallagher, Dvorak, Evans, Armia, RHP, Pezzetta and Roy.

Then on D we have like 10 Ds who are NHL ready, but none of which have actual trade value, and the ones who do we apparently are not willing to trade them.

At this point, I hope we will weaponise the almost 20M bucks we have under the cap and take a run at Laine.

We can eat his whole salary for two years without any problem and could even pass them Dvorak's contract in exchange. Plus the potential reward is interesting.

I just hope it does not stay that way. Otherwise it's still going to be a bottom-5 finish and I still won't bother watching most games. We're that bad.

Not that I expect us to make the playoffs. But a 4th bottom-5 finish in a row should rightfully raise some questions on this administration's ability to build a winner.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

They don't have room for a LD. They would need a RD.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I really would've liked to go for Mikheyev and Lafferty here. It sucks they passed on that. We had more than enough capspace to accomodate two forwards like Mikheyev and Lafferty, they would've added depth too and in the case of us sucking again, they would've added other free picks.

Cole-Nick-Slaf
Newhook-Dach-Roy
Mikheyev-EvanS-Armia
RHP-Dvorak-Lafferty
Anderson

Would look a lot better than parroting Anderson, Gallagher, Pearson, Ylonen or Pezz around, plus its a free 2nd rounder and we have ample cap space.

BoneHutson

Mar 26, 2023
They don't have room for a LD. They would need a RD.
They just have orlov and Slavin on the left side?

Having these two plus Matheson on each pair is an awesome problem to have. And they dont have the offensive depth they had in the past, so they could certainly ride a pp unit with 2 dmen (to include Matheson)

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
They just have orlov and Slavin on the left side?

Having these two plus Matheson on each pair is an awesome problem to have. And they dont have the offensive depth they had in the past, so they could certainly ride a pp unit with 2 dmen (to include Matheson)
But then their right side remains incredibly weak. They also have Skjei who's in contract negociations, but I assume priced out. I don't think it's likely at all.

I'd look towards Arizona and Seattle for Matheson.

Beendair Donedat

Don’t be a Jimmy Juice Arse
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM

When I wrote that it would cost the Canucks a 1st rounder to get out of the Mikehyev contract there were a lot of laughs and skepticism. The actual price paid - signing rights to a decent roster player, a 2nd and the Canucks retained 15% as well.

I wish the Habs would have swept in and taken him at full cap hit for the Canucks 2025 1st rounder.

• Haha
Reactions: loram0

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
I really would've liked to go for Mikheyev and Lafferty here. It sucks they passed on that. We had more than enough capspace to accomodate two forwards like Mikheyev and Lafferty, they would've added depth too and in the case of us sucking again, they would've added other free picks.

Cole-Nick-Slaf
Newhook-Dach-Roy
Mikheyev-EvanS-Armia
RHP-Dvorak-Lafferty
Anderson

Would look a lot better than parroting Anderson, Gallagher, Pearson, Ylonen or Pezz around, plus its a free 2nd rounder and we have ample cap space.
Where do Anderson and Gallagher go in this example?

Even if Anderson is waived and banished to Laval, Gally has a NMC so where'd he go?

loram0

Jun 27, 2024

Cole-Nick-Slaf
Newhook-Dach-Roy
Mikheyev-EvanS-Armia
RHP-Dvorak-Lafferty
Anderson

12-team NTC for Mikheyev

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad