Mark Fayne

Status
Not open for further replies.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
stralman is going to be looking for big bucks over several years. I very much hope Lou is wise enough to not fall into that trap again.

skillwise, I would take either or. I guess I'd prefer fayne

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
Honestly I'd love to sign both Fayne and Stralman, but it's not likely now that Zidlicky is back. Assuming Larsson's on the team, that's 4 righties. I'd be fine with Stralman if Fayne leaves (despite how awful he looked during his Devils tryout), but I'm sure Fayne would be cheaper and that's better for a team that needs to bring in some forward help.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Honestly I'd love to sign both Fayne and Stralman, but it's not likely now that Zidlicky is back. Assuming Larsson's on the team, that's 4 righties. I'd be fine with Stralman if Fayne leaves (despite how awful he looked during his Devils tryout), but I'm sure Fayne would be cheaper and that's better for a team that needs to bring in some forward help.

The preseason game I attended, Stralman looked very good.
I remember telling my friend on the way out that I hoped we signed him.

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
With Salvador/Volchenkov coming off the books (I mean, he HAS to amnesty one of the two, right?) he has the money to sign him.

Does Peter Harrold get buried in the minors/bought out? Does Merrill spend a year in Albany a la Larsson? I can see both happening

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I wonder if Lou would try to do something similar to what he did with Malakhov to get rid of Volch or Sal. Or if any cap floor teams would be willing to take one of them.

I just don't know how he would dump both, sign Fayne, and play the kids. Merrill is the only waiver exempt one, but he's more trusted by the coaching staff.

schoenfeld

2 Way Contract
Dec 10, 2006
literally no reason not to resign fayne, he's perfect for what he is and what he does

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
literally no reason not to resign fayne, he's perfect for what he is and what he does
I tend to agree, but there is at least one potential reason not to re-sign Fayne: cost.

On the other hand, I'd happily re-sign him to a $3.5M contract for 4-5 seasons, hopefully the usual pressures of UFA don't drive the price up too far from there.

Comparison Ford

i got a star
Sponsor
May 25, 2008
LA
I feel like Stralman had one of those standout defensive playoff performances ala Salvador in 2012 that will get him a good contract. I don't see him maintaining this performance, also ala Salvador, and I think the fans of whatever team that will sign him will regret the length and want him gone. I don't know why. I just have never been impressed with Stralman at all. Albeit he had a fantastic playoffs, but theres something about him that just seems very eerily similar to the progression of our captain from 2012.

I would much rather have Fayne. Fayne has been consistently progressing, and he didn't he also have surgery? I think that might deter teams from him. Either way, I think having a pairing of Gelinas/Merrill-Fayne would be great for our 2nd pair.

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005
Stralman has a nastier side to his game and a better shot. I'd go Stralman.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Here is the reason:
Salvador, Zid, Larsson, Greene, Gelinas, Merril, Harrold

This is why this is so tricky...

Greene is the only stand alone defenseman in the list.

Zidlicky needs a complementary partner.

Merrill and Larsson haven't proven they can play top 4 full time minutes.

Gelinas can't play top 4 minutes at this stage of his career.

You don't want Harrold playing top 4 minutes.

Salvador and Volchenkov are 6th defensemen/role players/Pkers.

In the bunch Fayne is the only one that has played solid and dependable top 4 minutes over multiple seasons after Greene.

You hope Merrill continues his steady path and hope Larsson can take the next step but there are no guarantees here and if you let Fayne walk you have not so great options to cover if Merrill should he falter or Larsson not move forward....

I don't know the right answer here...but I'm thinking I would like if Fayne was eventually a bottom pairing anchor after Salvador and Volchenkov are gone.

Vilgraining

Jul 7, 2012
This is why this is so tricky...

Greene is the only stand alone defenseman in the list.

Zidlicky needs a complementary partner.

Merrill and Larsson haven't proven they can play top 4 full time minutes.

Gelinas can't play top 4 minutes at this stage of his career.

You don't want Harrold playing top 4 minutes.

Salvador and Volchenkov are 6th defensemen/role players/Pkers.

In the bunch Fayne is the only one that has played solid and dependable top 4 minutes over multiple seasons after Greene.

You hope Merrill continues his steady path and hope Larsson can take the next step but there are no guarantees here and if you let Fayne walk you have not so great options to cover if Merrill should he falter or Larsson not move forward....

I don't know the right answer here...but I'm thinking I would like if Fayne was eventually a bottom pairing anchor after Salvador and Volchenkov are gone.

It's tricky but they have to let the three young guys play. Not go up and down or be a 7th dman. Greene is a lock, and if AV gets bought out Salvador will be the physical defenseman. If AV doesn't then there is even less room for Fayne. At some point Lou is going to have to get this roster younger. Last year we were not good, and old. IF we are going to struggle you have to at least have young guys progress. Fayne is a fine serviceable defenseman, there just is no room unless you are going to trade one of these young Dmen for a forward.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
It's tricky but they have to let the three young guys play. Not go up and down or be a 7th dman. Greene is a lock, and if AV gets bought out Salvador will be the physical defenseman. If AV doesn't then there is even less room for Fayne. At some point Lou is going to have to get this roster younger. Last year we were not good, and old. IF we are going to struggle you have to at least have young guys progress. Fayne is a fine serviceable defenseman, there just is no room unless you are going to trade one of these young Dmen for a forward.

It'll be even more interesting if "Another" young dman knocks on the door this year in camp...

I mean it is not out of the realm of possibility that someone like Seth Helgeson to show up in camp and prove they are a better option than say a Salvador or Volchenkov. Or someone like Reece Scarlett or Damon Severson to turn heads in camp....

They probably will not get a spot based on circumstances but it will force Lou's hand. My opinion is it is a matter of when not if.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad