Mark Fayne

Status
Not open for further replies.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Yotes fan coming in peace. Doing some preliminary player research for this offseason, and wanted to hear your thoughts on Mark Fayne. Haven't seen too much of him in action (don't get to watch too many Devils games), but it seems Fayne is a very solid #4 stay-at-home guy with size and steady defensive play - an ideal RH partner for Yandle on our middle pairing. I've noted he's faced the 2nd highest QoC among Devils d-men this season.

Anyways, just wanted to hear some of your thoughts on Fayne, e.g. more about his overall play, whether he'll return next season, what he stands to make on his next contract, etc. Thanks so much!

Last edited:

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
would make a good #4~ on most teams. I cant see him making much more than 2M to be honest. 2.5 tops. your assessment of his play is pretty much right. his QoC is mostly down to being on the top pair with Greene for most of the season

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
I wish he would have more confidence to jump in to the rush more often. He has a decent shot but doesn't use it often enough. Not heavy, but sneaky.

The 29th Pick

Still Alive !
Dec 7, 2007
Northvale N.J.
Yotes fan coming in peace. Doing some preliminary player research for this offseason, and wanted to hear your thoughts on Mark Fayne. Haven't seen too much of him in action (don't get to watch too many Devils games), but it seems Fayne is a very solid #4 stay-at-home guy with size and steady defensive play - an ideal RH partner for Yandle on our middle pairing. I've noted he's faced the 2nd highest QoC among Devils d-men this season.

Anyways, just wanted to hear some of your thoughts on Fayne, e.g. more about his oveall play, whether he'll return next season, what he stands to make on his next contract, etc. Thanks so much!

you guys dont have to come in peace, only ranger and flyer fans have to say this !
Fayne is all around good, nothing flashy, chips in a goal once in a while

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
Above average defensively, below average offensively. You're basically right in what you've said, I can't see him commanding more than $2.5, maybe $2.75 mil if a team desperately wants him. I really do wish he would stay, he had a bad start to the year but has really picked it up in the second half and solidified himself as a great partner for Greene on our top pair, once again as he had in the past. Having said that, with the way he's been treated by the organization these past few seasons I can see him wanting to move on where he'll have a secure spot in the lineup every night.

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
Above average defensively, below average offensively. You're basically right in what you've said, I can't see him commanding more than $2.5, maybe $2.75 mil if a team desperately wants him. I really do wish he would stay, he had a bad start to the year but has really picked it up in the second half and solidified himself as a great partner for Greene on our top pair, once again as he had in the past. Having said that, with the way he's been treated by the organization these past few seasons I can see him wanting to move on where he'll have a secure spot in the lineup every night.

2nd half? He has been good since game 10 or 15. Guy is very consistent. When is the last time a goal was Mark Fayne's fault?

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E

It was starting the season scratched that hurt him. He needs to play consistently to get the most out of him. Once he got locked back into the lineup his play increased.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
I think Fayne would really flourish under Tippett, and especially with Yandle as a partner. He's really REALLY good at getting the puck out of the defensive zone. Makes great, smart plays to his partners and gets the rush going, even if he's not very offensive himself. I think Yandle would LOVE him for a partner. But I think most D in the league would.

NJN225

Jul 22, 2013
New York
As unlikely as it may be, I really hope he doesn't leave. Love him and Andy together.

That being said I think Phoenix (or any team for that matter) would love to have him. Especially at the price they'll get him at.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
Solid #4 is about right.

Fayne is not flashy at anything. Not even defensively. But he usually gets it done.

With the kids still establishing themselves, I would be very disappointed if we let him walk. And he's a player that is exactly what this organization is about. Small incremental gains over a long period of time, resulting in a solid cog within the machine.

The worst I've seen him play was the beginning of the current season and I'll put that one on DeBoer. As soon as he was a regular, he was back to being unnoticeable. Which is exactly what you want.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
im down to resign him but Zidlicky needs to take a hike for Larsson. im worried Zid puts up enough points that Lou might sign him again

I wouldn't be opposed to keeping Zidlicky if they could somehow get rid of Salvador and Volchenkov. But that's probably not very likely.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
I wouldn't be opposed to keeping Zidlicky if they could somehow get rid of Salvador and Volchenkov. But that's probably not very likely.

Agreed, but I'd hope that by next season, Gelinas will be ready be the new PP guy who can take a regular shift. We can't keep re-signing older and older guys. Bad enough that Salvador's under contract next season let alone in the top FOUR. It's reasons like that I think Fayne needs to stick around. I'm not so sure this staff is all that good at evaluating talent, but they at least seem to notice how well Fayne plays with Greene.

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012
Pros:
- Can play on all 3 defensive pairings. Although he needs a good #1 to assist him on the first pairing.

- Solid defensively, great positionally. Stay at home defensemen for the most part. Can contribute on the PK.

- Makes some of the best pinches on our defense. Never seems to make a mistake there.

Cons
- Occasionally takes a bad penalty. Nothing over the top though.

- Offensively he doesn't bring too much. Not a player who will ever jump in on a rush or ever cross the hashmarks. Shots been pretty good as of late though.

- Tends to have some bad reactions in front of the net. Few times this season goals have deflected off of Fayne where he could have avoided such deflection.

Sgt Brylin

Trade is one for one
Dec 28, 2012
I'd love him back at something like 4y/$11m. Having him and Greene down the next four years until Santini, Severson, Scarlett and the gang are ready to take the step to ensure stability. Greene should be our next captain, and Fayne is perfect next to him.

Having that said, I'm worried Lou plans to let Fayne and Zids both walk as his fix to the logjam, leaving us us with Greene-Merrill, Larsson-Gelinas, Sal-Volch, and Harrold next year. No buyouts for you!

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
2nd half? He has been good since game 10 or 15. Guy is very consistent. When is the last time a goal was Mark Fayne's fault?

Maybe not exactly 2nd half but it took him more than 10-15 games to get going. There was a pretty big stretch, for Fayne at least, where he was not good at all. Part of that is to being scratched so much, but he just didn't look right out there. But I'll agree, once he did get going he hasn't looked back and is one of our, if not the most, consistent defender.

It was starting the season scratched that hurt him. He needs to play consistently to get the most out of him. Once he got locked back into the lineup his play increased.

Exactly. It took him a while to get going and the scratches for no reason did hurt him. There was a period of time where he was locked in the lineup but he wasn't playing very good. It may have seemed longer because I'm so used to Fayne being consistently good but I'm pretty sure it was a decent stretch.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I want him back...I'd give him 4 years, $12 million

Hes not flashy but gets the job done. skates pretty well for a bigger guy

Dec 10, 2008
NoDak now NYC area
Really don't want to lose this guy. Has played very well with Greene. Steady, reliable guy who can really play on any pairing. Would actually like to see him jump a bit more....

Japam

I love Matt Loughlin.
May 21, 2012
nj
Hope he comes back next year. He makes great pinches and has good hand eye coordination to keep pucks in the zone that other defensemen might whiff. I remember the thread he got called up to play his first game and no one really cared because no one knew much about him. He impressed quickly though and with the exception of being scratched early in the year for DB's long lost son Peter Harrold, he's been a solid mainstay ever since.

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007
Fayne is the most unerrated dman on this roster. I'd be comfortable giving 3mil per for 3 years.

ThePSEGPowerPoster

LOSER POINTS!
Feb 23, 2013
Lose the company policy and sign him to an extension before others get a shot at him or trade him.

Since the ship sailed on the latter, Lou better not lose him. It's one of the few things that irks me about Lou.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
Lose the company policy and sign him to an extension before others get a shot at him or trade him.

Since the ship sailed on the latter, Lou better not lose him. It's one of the few things that irks me about Lou.

The thing is, I really think we can afford to lose him if it came down to it. There's still a logjam and someone has to go. You never want to lose good players but sometimes you have to when there's immovable contracts like Sal's and Volchenkov's on your roster. If he AND Zidlicky both leave next year, we still have 6 or 7 guys that realistically are NHL defensemen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad