Recalled/Assigned: Marco Kasper - Emergency Recall

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
It is truly astounding how aggressively mid the Sabres are. They got just as much assistance in fast-forwarding a rebuild as you could ever hope for…. And they still don’t make the playoffs.

Give Detroit two 1s, a trade of injured 1C for a guy who ends up playing like said 1C and a trade for a castoff who becomes a 40g, 80p C and they’re not ten points out of the playoffs.

drafted in the top10 for ten straight years, top2 picks in four of those years. They also more aggressively tanked more than we ever did. That year they drafted Eichel they actively traded away players who were playing well for them to try to get McDavid. Their tanking was so blatant and pathetic.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

DatsDeking

Jun 25, 2013
All I'm saying is Berg-Kasper-Tank is a nice 3rd line. Might even be a 2B line.
Totally. The problem is just we’re short one two-dimensional top 9 player. With that third line we have a 2nd line of Copp/Ras-Compher-Kane? Not terrible but the LW leaves something to be desired. The good news is that line has two defensively responsible players on it but then you’re wasting a Patrick Kane line on potential defensive assignments/matchups.

Not saying we need a Mark Stone or top tier winger but it puts the lines a bit out of wack. Still likely better than what we got. Maybe opens Copp or Compher up for a bit more offense too.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
drafted in the top10 for ten straight years, top2 picks in four of those years. They also more aggressively tanked more than we ever did. That year they drafted Eichel they actively traded away players who were playing well for them to try to get McDavid. Their tanking was so blatant and pathetic.

It's bad karma to be mocking the only team that is worse than the Wings. The Wings have the second longest active playoff drought, and tied for 5th all time now. The Wings are HISTORICALLY BAD. We can make excuses about the lottery, but that doesn't change the facts.

All I'm saying is Berg-Kasper-Tank is a nice 3rd line. Might even be a 2B line.
I'm beginning to think Burger/Kasper/Kane. Burger played well, and Kasper can make up for Kane's defensive deficiencies.

I said it in the GDT, I think Kasper's gonna stay on the team because this team sucks worse than Stevie expected, and now he's gonna have to play his best players to try to make the playoffs.

Reactions: RedHawkDown

JohanFranzenstein

Dec 6, 2013
Totally. The problem is just we’re short one two-dimensional top 9 player. With that third line we have a 2nd line of Copp/Ras-Compher-Kane? Not terrible but the LW leaves something to be desired. The good news is that line has two defensively responsible players on it but then you’re wasting a Patrick Kane line on potential defensive assignments/matchups.

Not saying we need a Mark Stone or top tier winger but it puts the lines a bit out of wack. Still likely better than what we got. Maybe opens Copp or Compher up for a bit more offense too.
I know exactly what you mean. I mocked up

Ras-Lark-Ray
Cat-JT-Kane
Berg-Marco-Tank
Fish-Copp-JV
Motte plugs in anywhere on that 4th line

But obviously Ras on the top line leaves a lot to be desired, unless he somehow magically develops a 2002 Todd Bertuzzi game.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
It's bad karma to be mocking the only team that is worse than the Wings. The Wings have the second longest active playoff drought, and tied for 5th all time now. The Wings are HISTORICALLY BAD. We can make excuses about the lottery, but that doesn't change the facts.

I really didn't consider it mocking. It is a statement of fact that Buffalo had those picks, and we didn't. But I think we have a good shot at still winning several of those drafts we picked in the top10.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I really didn't consider it mocking. It is a statement of fact that Buffalo had those picks, and we didn't. But I think we have a good shot at still winning several of those drafts we picked in the top10.

Semantics aside, it's bad karma to be bad mouthing them anyways. All we can do is hope Kasper learns how to score goals, Nate puts it together in GR, Cossa become Vezina level goalie, ASP lives up to his potential, and one (or more) of the picks outside of the first round actually hits big. Maybe Plante, Buch, or Becher (he's my sleeper pick). I'd really hate to see another rebuild on top of this rebuild. It's already historically bad. Then again, the Tigers and Lions were also historically bad until recently.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2004

It's kind of insane they're not better at this point. I keep thinking it has to click some season.

2021 1st overall pick Owen Power
2018 1st overall pick Rasmus Dahlin
2015 2nd overal Jack Eichel (after tanking as hard as they could as you mentioned)
2014 2nd overall Sam Reinhart

As I've said before, the Wings haven't had a 1st OA pick since Joe Murphy in '86, a 2nd overall since friggin Marcel Dionne in '71, and 3rd overall since Keith Primeau in 1990.

Gee, I wonder why it's taking so long to turn the team around?

DatsDeking

Jun 25, 2013
I know exactly what you mean. I mocked up

Ras-Lark-Ray
Cat-JT-Kane
Berg-Marco-Tank
Fish-Copp-JV
Motte plugs in anywhere on that 4th line

But obviously Ras on the top line leaves a lot to be desired, unless he somehow magically develops a 2002 Todd Bertuzzi game.
Moving Cat off the top line helps a lot since Raymond and Larkin play a more rounded game than Cat. I like those lines.

I’m still holding out hope that Ras can turn into an offensive weapon because of his size but it’s just a hope.

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Sugar-free Rock Star
May 11, 2023

I'm beginning to think Burger/Kasper/Kane. Burger played well, and Kasper can make up for Kane's defensive deficiencies.

I said it in the GDT, I think Kasper's gonna stay on the team because this team sucks worse than Stevie expected, and now he's gonna have to play his best players to try to make the playoffs.
What?

There is nothing bad karma about saying how it’s mind blowing that a team who got all of the rebuilding luck you could ever want is stuck in limbo.

Buffalo has gotten all the pub of “they’re young and super talented. And they’ve had their lotto picks be really good players. And yet, by bad coaching decisions and riding mediocre goaltending while simultaneously trading away the types of players that the Wings are bringing in (Copp, Compher, Chiarot, etc) leaving a roster with a lot of talent but not a lot of will to win or hatred of losing.

And yeah, the Wings were screwed deep into the ground from 2013-2018 and they reached rock bottom in 2019-20.

They have to play well enough to make it this year… but it is just insane how people are so willing to discount how bad Holland let things get (while not getting any luck) and how the Red Wings simply didn’t survive two terrible stretches when Larkin went down last year and it cost them a playoff spot by a tie break.

The Wings are on an upward trajectory, no matter how much you hate the team. There is nothing historically bad about this roster anymore. 2019-20? Yeah, that roster was historically bad. Now? They’re a middle of the road NHL team that has a bunch of kids in GR on the verge of coming up

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Sugar-free Rock Star
May 11, 2023
Semantics aside, it's bad karma to be bad mouthing them anyways. All we can do is hope Kasper learns how to score goals, Nate puts it together in GR, Cossa become Vezina level goalie, ASP lives up to his potential, and one (or more) of the picks outside of the first round actually hits big. Maybe Plante, Buch, or Becher (he's my sleeper pick). I'd really hate to see another rebuild on top of this rebuild. It's already historically bad. Then again, the Tigers and Lions were also historically bad until recently.

No, it’s not. The thing is Buffalo has hit on those lottery picks.

Power, Dahlin, Eichel->Tuch, Thompson?

Those are all really really good players. They’ve had a hell of a lot of good young material come through and they aren’t supporting them or developing them.

It’s not mocking them. It’s saying that, how the f*** are you not great because you’ve had all the lottery luck and you’ve hit on so many of those lottery picks.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Maybe I've been involved in too many bar fights, but dragging someone into a fight pretty much means line brawl in hockey.

It's not my reading skills, it's your usage of words. If it's not clear to people then it's obviously NOT OBVIOUS. You could have just said "that's not what I meant", instead you gotta be a dick. I will be more than happy to reciprocate.

What's Raz gonna do when he gets riled up anyways? Throw on some more angry face? Yeah, that'll help the team out. We just need some more angry face to win games.

Yeah its probably way too many bar fights and not the fact that you cant wait to get in here and find a way to talk more shit about Kasper.

Drag into THE fight is a fairly common saying, and clearly different than dragging into A fight.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland

bah, karma. I don't think it's wrong to look at other teams and say what you think they've done wrong or right. They've went through multiple head coaches, multiple GMs, haven't hesitated to promote kids to the NHL. I see a lot of things on their resume that people have lately been calling for here and...where has it gotten buffalo? They've been worse longer and, for my money, aren't looking better now or going forward.

And needing to hit on picks like that is true of nearly every rebuild, and there is a big degree of luck involved that people don't want to admit to. Personally, I think we remove a bit of that luck bit by seasoning the kids more in the minors, and then bringing them into a team with vets in place to shoulder a bit of that initial load. We'll see over the next couple of years as they filter prospects into Detroit and they sink or swim. Personally, I think a lot of these guys are going to do well and folks need to lean into just enjoying this part of the rebuild.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad