Value of: Marc Staal to the Toronto Maple Leafs

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

xxreact9

Jun 4, 2012
We can barely win a period.

Well goal scoring isn't the problem, neither is goaltending. Can't believe the hate Freddy is getting over there. He was absolutely dominant in the OT period last night.

When your only top-4 defender is Morgan Rielly, you will be a bad team permanently until that is fixed.

scan15*

May 11, 2016
GTA
Not every trade has to fit the long term blue print. Bringing in a veteran hard nosed defenceman definitely would help the young guys. Although more expensive then polak I think he is a much better option.

Exactly. Hunwick played 23 minutes last night and had 6 minutes on the PK. The leafs need a Staal or a similar player to replace Hunwick and play those minutes effectively.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Stupid trade for the Leafs. Doesn't Staal play the left side? So what will be his playing time behind Rielly and Gardiner. Oh the Leafs two best Dmen prospects play the LD...Valiev and Dermot.

If, if the Leafs wanted to spend 5.7 m for four plus years there are dozens of options better than Staal especially in UFA next summer. Why help the Rangers with their cap situation either.

Leafs want to spend 5.7m on a Dman? Then make a trade for Lindholm.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Staal is much improved, back to form. kinda healthy
however, the NMC is the prob

Staal at a manageable 4 per
plus Ottawa's 2018 2nd

for Marincin

Marincin may/may not improve, is a stopgap for NY

you are keeping Reilly, unless he is paired with Gardiner + for Trouba

say Jets move him elsewhere, also say Trouba may not want to play in Canada

either way, Reilly + Gardiner or Trouba are 2 of 3 slots.

who are you protecting? your top prospects are exempt, no?

so the above is do-able.

Not sure Marc will go, but it seems close enough to home.

If push comes to shove and it's Lupul straight up, I do that if he does not have a NMC

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Staal is much improved, back to form. kinda healthy
however, the NMC is the prob

Staal at a manageable 4 per
plus Ottawa's 2018 2nd

for Marincin

Marincin may/may not improve, is a stopgap for NY

you are keeping Reilly, unless he is paired with Gardiner + for Trouba

say Jets move him elsewhere, also say Trouba may not want to play in Canada

either way, Reilly + Gardiner or Trouba are 2 of 3 slots.

who are you protecting? your top prospects are exempt, no?

so the above is do-able.

Not sure Marc will go, but it seems close enough to home.

If push comes to shove and it's Lupul straight up, I do that if he does not have a NMC

Connor Carrick makes it iffy, he would have to be exposed in this scenario.

scan15*

May 11, 2016
GTA
He has to be protected in the expansion draft. I doubt anyone would take him.

He has a NMC with modified no trade clause, similar to Fleury. The NHLPA and NHL haven't yet come to an agreement on whether those types of NMCs will have to be protected, as per Elliote Friedman.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Not every trade has to fit the long term blue print. Bringing in a veteran hard nosed defenceman definitely would help the young guys. Although more expensive then polak I think he is a much better option.

When a guy is signed until the end of time.....it dam well better fit the longterm plan.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Why is it, everyone dumps on the Leafs defence? Yea right now they're not the best but certainly has to the ability to better.
Leafs management is now longer run by Burke and Nonis. Leafs will not be trading or even acquiring UFAs who are over paid with term in their contracts. Examples, Girardi and Stall.

Leafs can spend 5.3m in contracts better than taking on other teams mistakes And why help a fellow East Conference with their stupid cap problems.

Have had a discussion with a Duck fan who are portrayed to having lots of NHL quality and depth on defence. Biaska, Stoner and Holzer on the team? Vatanan, Fowler and Manson are good. Yea I know Lindholm is not not the team and Despres is concussed.

Most teams might has a decent to good top four guys, but after that on most teams it's a crap shoot of hoping some aging vets can hang in their or some youngsters on ELCs can "hold the fort" for 16 minutes a game.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I've lost track on the consensus, if any

will reasonably overpay in ample amount for moving one or both NMCs

Girardi
Staal

what are packages that work?

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Toronto's RHD is pathetic, they could use a guy like Girardi and he seems like a Babcock type of player.

it would cost a fortune to unload him. toronto would ask buchnevich, 1st, + just to take him

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa

Girardi
Staal

The consensus is that Girardi and Staal are going to remain as rangers, Brown will remain a King, and CBJ is praying that Clarkson stays on LTIR.

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010

Girardi
Staal

Depends how much your willing to retain on the deals.
Even at 50%, a team is taking on 4 more years of the Stall rollercoaster at 2.8 mil.

I like Stall, and I think a deal is there to be made. I think he can probably even out over the remainder of his deal as a #4/5 D man who plays a lot of PK time. BUT he could just as easily become a #7 D man or a #3/4.

I dont think the Leafs would want to pay him much North of 3 million, unless the addition to Stall is big. Like Shestyorkin big.

If Stall @3.25 million is possible, id want a high pick/Shestyorkin and McIlrath.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad