Marc Bergevin - The Upcoming Draft Edition *Mod Warning Post 543

Status
Not open for further replies.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
I don't get this....he was scheduled to interview LR, there was a scheduling conflict or whatever

In the meantime, Bergevin settled on JJD...Bergevin then called Robinson's agent to let him know he hired someone else

I don't get what's so egregious about that....thats an agents job or else, why the hell does he even have an agent

And this isn't even to defend or justify the choice of JJD over LR, clearly it was not the right choice to make if you base it purely on accomplishments (which btw - isn't exclusively how these decisions come to)....

But all this talk about calling his agent as opposed to LR himself? Please....

In the grand scheme of things this isn't even a big deal. So he went with JJD instead of LR all Managers make decisions. Glad to see someone new get an opportunity. I don't see medias gushing and swooning over the work LR has done in SJ. Don't doubt he could do a good job but does MB have to hire every former habs legend that wants a job? Should he have called Demers, Carbo, and Houle to?

Like you said its just a reason to bash on MB and the habs. If someone is having success outside the organization I know on this board a post will pop up blaming MB or MT for not getting that person.

We can discuss his lack of top 6 or not fireing MT, but this whole LR things is just used to slander MB and nothing else.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Johnston in Pittsburgh is an interesting case....

But when I consider they replaced him with Mike Sullivan, who I've never considered to be a good coach at all

I rather just chalk it up to the Penguins talent coming together at the right time.

Not to ignore that Sullivan probably had some doing into the Penguins resurgence....truth is this is a team that underachieved for years, I'm sorry if I don't buy that Mike Sullivan is the guy they needed to turn it around

What will happen in a few years when the team stops playing and listening to the coach just like they did to Blysma. Blysma went from the hero to zero. Seriously if Crosby, Malkin, and Kessel decide to not show up the team is not going to win. Wouldn't suprise me to see Sullivan in the same position as Johnston in a year or 2. Pens players tend to quit on their coaches (MT,Blysma,Johnston).

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
I watched just as much Pittsburgh hockey this year as Canadiens hockey.

The coaching change was pivotal. Completely changed the way the team played. Part of it is coaching ability, or abilities, but it's also a question of fit as well. Saying this was just the team coming together at the right time is negligent in my personal opinion.

For some people, the grass is always greener on the other side. For others, they think it's always just as brown and there is nothing to see.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
I watched just as much Pittsburgh hockey this year as Canadiens hockey.

The coaching change was pivotal. Completely changed the way the team played. Part of it is coaching ability, or abilities, but it's also a question of fit as well. Saying this was just the team coming together at the right time is negligent in my personal opinion.

For some people, the grass is always greener on the other side. For others, they think it's always just as brown and there is nothing to see.

Did there play change completly because Sullivan had some genius new tactics? Or to you did it just seem like the players started to play more for each other and the coach as opposed to when Johnston was coaching? What about their goaltending? How would you compare that under Johnston and Sullivan?

Do you think Sid or Geno resented Johnston or did you feel they had a good relationship with him.

JPGoHabsGo

May 30, 2013
Robinson was the ultimate leader. In the Canada Cup back in 1984 the Oilers and Islanders players were not getting along as they were arch rivals and it was none other than Larry Robinson who told them all to shut up and start playing as a team.

Why the hell we didn't add him is beyond a mystery to me.

I picked up Big Birds book when it came out, he mentioned showing interest when Therrien got hired but was told they wanted to go in a different direction

So read between the lines on that if you want

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
Did there play change completly because Sullivan had some genius new tactics? Or to you did it just seem like the players started to play more for each other and the coach as opposed to when Johnston was coaching? What about their goaltending? How would you compare that under Johnston and Sullivan?

Do you think Sid or Geno resented Johnston or did you feel they had a good relationship with him.

I'll go into more detail once I get home from work :)sarcasm:), but Johnston is a definitely a very knowledgeable man who seemed very nice. And I think the players were ''buying,'' or at least trying to buy into into the system for the most part....aside from Malkin at times because Malkin has his own style and stuff. Very special person on and off the ice let's say.

It comes down to a completely overhauled approach to playing defense, transitioning the puck and the aggressive boost to the forecheck. Johnston was busy trying to micromanage all aspects of the game to minimize damage due to their perceived weakness at defense, while Sullivan wants his team to control tempo. Occasionally he will switch it up too, which is a nice change from both Johnston and Bylsma. Only thing I occasionally do not love is bench management, but I definitely think he got better at that over the course of the season and playoffs.

Last edited:

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
I picked up Big Birds book when it came out, he mentioned showing interest when Therrien got hired but was told they wanted to go in a different direction

So read between the lines on that if you want

It's a pretty damn obvious that bergevin isn't making decisions with the franchise's best interest at heart. How can anyone trust a GM who's compromised in this way to make the right decisions in any capacity and level of this organization? It's really sad to see.

Had DD as our #1C and Galchenyuk on the wing all this time despite this club needing a #1C since the day he took over. Says players don't get traded and the last player to get traded was Joe thornton. Julien Brisebois, Larry Robinson, Guy Boucher and Jaromir Jagr are all guys we could have had in this organization, instead they'd rather settle for mediocrity. A GM that would rather go down with the ship instead of fire his BFFs makes for a very dangerous GM. MB is currently like a tree in the wind that is unwilling to bend unless his hand is forced. We all know how this scenario ends. Adaptability especially in a league where parity exists is a very desirable trait and one that demonstrates intelligence.

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
In the grand scheme of things this isn't even a big deal. So he went with JJD instead of LR all Managers make decisions. Glad to see someone new get an opportunity. I don't see medias gushing and swooning over the work LR has done in SJ. Don't doubt he could do a good job but does MB have to hire every former habs legend that wants a job? Should he have called Demers, Carbo, and Houle to?

Like you said its just a reason to bash on MB and the habs. If someone is having success outside the organization I know on this board a post will pop up blaming MB or MT for not getting that person.

We can discuss his lack of top 6 or not fireing MT, but this whole LR things is just used to slander MB and nothing else.

You do know that JJD is a former Habs, right?
How about focusing on the one who have been proven competent in theirs field? Too much to ask?

Why are you glad about exactly? What did JJD do to give you such a warm and fuzzy feeling in your heart?

How does hiring a assistant coach with 0 NHL experience over a guy with 3 championship ring as a coach become the right decision? Because MB took that decision so it has to be the right one?

Do you have the honesty to call it for what it is: Blatant cronyism? Or will you try to spin it some more to put JJD on a equal footing as a 3 times cup winner?

Robinson having success "outside" the organisation, in San jose, more accurately is completely irrelevant, whats matter is before going to SJ he came to -US- and we went with JJD.

he-chose-poorly.jpg

Habsfan2731

Jan 2, 2014
Toronto

Larry Robinson's resume is incredible. He is a proven winner, he has won at all levels including cups as a player, coach and in a management position.

You claim it's nice to see someone new get an opportunity, well if that's the case, why didn't JJD get an opportunity in Hamilton/St.John's to prove himself instead of immediately into the NHL level?

No one is slandering Bergevin. We're discussing Bergevin's moves as GM. Which in Montreal are subject to a whole hell of a lot of criticism.

Therrien's assistants aren't there because they're the most qualified, it's because they aren't capable of taking over the team which helps Therrien's job security.

If you want to see guys get a shot, give them a shot in the AHL, let them prove themselves in junior/ECHL/AHL before jumping into the NHL.

Daignaeult and Lacroix aren't qualified to be the assistant coaches of the Montreal Canadiens.

You don't give people an opportunity to prove themselves in such a huge role in the NHL. You work them through the ranks and when they're ready you promote them.

The Canadiens did the wrong thing. No one in the AHL is capable of taking over, no one in the NHL is capable of taking over and they've backed themselves into a corner. They don't have the best available (Franco if need be) coaches in the A or in the NHL.

The NHL isn't a developmental league for anyone, certainly not for the guys behind the bench.

Habsfan2731

Jan 2, 2014
Toronto
What will happen in a few years when the team stops playing and listening to the coach just like they did to Blysma. Blysma went from the hero to zero. Seriously if Crosby, Malkin, and Kessel decide to not show up the team is not going to win. Wouldn't suprise me to see Sullivan in the same position as Johnston in a year or 2. Pens players tend to quit on their coaches (MT,Blysma,Johnston).

Bryan Rust stepped up and won them game 7 to send them into the cup finals. Everyone is buying in.

Devourers

Sep 20, 2013
Montreal
Thinking of it just like a business rather than a hockey team for a second, which general manager of a billion dollar business do you know that when offered the services of a guy with experience gives a high ranking position to his friends with zero experience and somehow is successful? That would be like me being owner of an IT company and I have Bill Gates interviewing for position of CEO, but suddenly he needs to re-schedule and I have my buddy Scrubby McScrubberson applying as well, and I give him the job before even being diligent and listening to what Mr. Gates has to say.

I know Robinson is no Bill Gates of coaching, but he's a damn more qualified person than Scrubby McScrubberson (JJ)

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
You do know that JJD is a former Habs, right?
How about focusing on the one who have been proven competent in theirs field? Too much to ask?

Why are you glad about exactly? What did JJD do to give you such a warm and fuzzy feeling in your heart?

How does hiring a assistant coach with 0 NHL experience over a guy with 3 championship ring as a coach become the right decision? Because MB took that decision so it has to be the right one?

Do you have the honesty to call it for what it is: Blatant cronyism? Or will you try to spin it some more to put JJD on a equal footing as a 3 times cup winner?

Robinson having success "outside" the organisation, in San jose, more accurately is completely irrelevant, whats matter is before going to SJ he came to -US- and we went with JJD.

he-chose-poorly.jpg

I 100% agree with you but solely based on your last statement. Is there an article somewhere that could support it?

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
CyberSpace
www.ilovebees.co
Well thanks for proving my point. Waite gets credit for Price, but MT none for Chucky and only a slight maybe for Gally

Except your point wasn't proven. Those are two completely different situations. Waite didn't sit Price (the superior goalie) behind Budaj (the inferior goalie) while Price vastly outplayed Budaj. That's what Therrien did to Galchenyuk. He stuck him behind probably the 2nd worse regular center on this team while Galchenyuk was both out playing and out producing DD.

Whereas Waite came in and supplied Price with the necessary teaching to improve his game, Therrien simply stuck Galchenyuk out of position and further down the lineup than he should have been, then proceeded to claim how Chucky was better on the wing than center and spew nonsense like that he had no chemistry with the players on the top line. Guess what? Galchenyuk proved that the opposite was true when DD's injury forced MT to use Galchenyuk at C.

Galchenyuk proved Therrien wrong, not right. Galchenyuk succeeded in spite of Therrien's horrible favoritism and decisions. Therrien deserves jack **** in terms of credit for Chucky.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
I give Therrien credit for Gallagher, he handled him in the right manner.

Well he is the only player who regularly plays the only style that Therrien really understands. As far as I recall he was never bad-mouthed or demoted. He always got maximum opportunity and was quickly promoted. Not sure that's development. Looks more like a kindred spirit getting every possible chance to succeed.

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
Thinking of it just like a business rather than a hockey team for a second, which general manager of a billion dollar business do you know that when offered the services of a guy with experience gives a high ranking position to his friends with zero experience and somehow is successful? That would be like me being owner of an IT company and I have Bill Gates interviewing for position of CEO, but suddenly he needs to re-schedule and I have my buddy Scrubby McScrubberson applying as well, and I give him the job before even being diligent and listening to what Mr. Gates has to say.

I know Robinson is no Bill Gates of coaching, but he's a damn more qualified person than Scrubby McScrubberson (JJ)

http://www.brighthub.com/office/human-resources/articles/119324.aspx

One thing is for certain, and that most people on this board are absolutely ignorant of workplace psychology and the voluminous amount of research in many subjects in that field.

https://www.google.com/search?q=nep...rome..69i57.7243j0j1&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

When it comes to this particular subject, discussion is dominated by anti-intellectualism and half-assed justifications, all in the name of "defending" Bergevin. But not through reason, but rather emotional appeals that boil down to "guilt-tripping".

groovejuice

Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
http://www.brighthub.com/office/human-resources/articles/119324.aspx

One thing is for certain, and that most people on this board are absolutely ignorant of workplace psychology and the voluminous amount of research in many subjects in that field.

https://www.google.com/search?q=nep...rome..69i57.7243j0j1&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

When it comes to this particular subject, discussion is dominated by anti-intellectualism and half-assed justifications, all in the name of "defending" Bergevin. But not through reason, but rather emotional appeals that boil down to "guilt-tripping".

I agree. There are too many people here who have no idea of the value of respect and common courtesy in life as well as business. I think Bergevin embarrassed the Habs with his lack of respect for Robinson.

Even worse, JJ was one of his first nepotic hires. We'll have grandchildren and nieces twice removed hired to management and coaching soon.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Well, I'm going to take a break from criticizing MB. I'm going to (once again) wait and see what he does this summer before ripping him further. As far as I'm concerned he's already burnt up his last chance with me but... no point going over it again.

So once again, I'll be in 'wait and see mode' this summer and see how it all goes.

groovejuice

Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Well, I'm going to take a break from criticizing MB. I'm going to (once again) wait and see what he does this summer before ripping him further. As far as I'm concerned he's already burnt up his last chance with me but... no point going over it again.

So once again, I'll be in 'wait and see mode' this summer and see how it all goes.

Good for you, really. I'm getting angrier with him every day. I hope the Olympics will change my focus.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Good for you, really. I'm getting angrier with him every day. I hope the Olympics will change my focus.

What the point of getting angrier every day?

Getting angry after the draft yeah. getting angry in the middle of july when all the good ufas signed elsewhere yeah. Getting angry at the beginning of the season when DD will start on the first line centering max yeah.

But there's absolutely not point getting angry right in the middle of the scf final.

Honestly all the negativity about the team right in the middle of the scf is getting on my nerves a lot more than MB is right now. Can't stand the usual we would get destroyed by X team we can read here every **** day. I mean we get it the disc is skipping.

Let's wait and see what he'll do. He had a very disappointing 2015 and beginning of 2016 year. But he has yet to make stupid trades like Gomez, Roy, Turgeon and Niiiiiniiiiiiiimmmaaaaaaaaaaaaaa. So let's just wait and see what he'll do at the draft and july 1st. Then after that if he still **** it will be the time to say it and ask for his head.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad