Marc Bergevin - The Upcoming Draft Edition *Mod Warning Post 543

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I don't believe in most conspiracy theories and I don't believe Bergevin willfully sabotaged the team to give jobs to friends. I have no interest in bashing Bergevin for the many things he's done right. But in this case he missed an opportunity and took the lazy/poorly considered option. I mean let's be honest... JJ Daigneault instead of Larry Robinson? There's no alternate dimension where JJ comes out ahead, other than he has cooler hair. Whether we're talking coaching, playing, reputation, Robinson is miles better.

Fresh faces are great. Daigneault may not be at all incompetent. He may be a nice fit. But when there's an opportunity to grab a proven coaching winner who, by the way, happens to be a former Hab legend and HoF defenseman, you say YES. Quickly! A proven coach with a winning NHL track-record is a big upgrade over a competent, nice fit. This was a lost opportunity.
Robinson was the ultimate leader. In the Canada Cup back in 1984 the Oilers and Islanders players were not getting along as they were arch rivals and it was none other than Larry Robinson who told them all to shut up and start playing as a team.

Why the hell we didn't add him is beyond a mystery to me.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Robinson was the ultimate leader. In the Canada Cup back in 1984 the Oilers and Islanders players were not getting along as they were arch rivals and it was none other than Larry Robinson who told them all to shut up and start playing as a team.

The larger than life living legend guy with his banner in the rafters seconding MT. :sarcasm:

TRG

Oct 23, 2008
Montréal

Didn't know that. Larry is awesome. Sad he's not in the org.

Devourers

Sep 20, 2013
Montreal

It's no mystery, MB would rather hire his friend than a legitimate candidate.

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke

Agreed. Considering the position he ended up taking with the Sharks, I have a hard time digesting this notion that Bergevin turned his back on him when he swiped up JJ. Just like that.

I am repeating myself from the last thread, but with an organization with this money to spend, and considering the amount of success Larry has had in hockey all his life and the sheer presence of the man, I cannot fathom how Bergy just shut the door like that. It would be one thing if Bergevin called either the agent or Larry and suggested at least another position within the organization (I mean, how can having Big Bird hurt?), heck even as another assistant coach if need be, and Larry said he wasn't interested. The conversation from yesterday suggested that Bergevin didn't even think of doing that.

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
Corrupt? Buddy? Again you view everything through your anti-MB lens and narrative. Its impossible to you that JJ has good qualities and was hired based on merit.

This whole debate is really odd to me. I don't think neither JJ nor LR have distinguished themselves from each other over the past 4 years and as it was said its only being dragged up because SJ is in the SCF right now. Hey Mike Blunden played on TB who made it to the ECF should we be crying about how the organization let him go too?

Well since you seems to be concerned about my lens, I'm wearing my not-stupid-enough-to-believe-that-**** goggles right now.

You can twist, spin or obfuscate all you want but there is NO WAY JJD's qualities/merit outweigh Robinson's qualities/merit. The fact that you suggest it is laughable at best.

Devourers

Sep 20, 2013
Montreal
Well since you seems to be concerned about my lens, I'm wearing my not-stupid-enough-to-believe-that-**** goggles right now.

You can twist, spin or obfuscate all you want but there is NO WAY JJD's qualities/merit outweigh Robinson's qualities/merit. The fact that you suggest it is laughable at best.

What merit is that guy even referring to? JJ was unproven and the only thing he's proven since being here is that he's terrible. MB is always talking about "da karactar" but closes the door on Robinson for this scrub? :laugh:

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Wonder where all the moans for Larry Robinson were last year, or the year prior

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary

There were actually. They were brought back to life by the interview of Robinson's agent by Marinaro. You may have missed that one.

Devourers

Sep 20, 2013
Montreal

Take any of the posts where people complained about the PP, the coaching, or more specifically Daigneault or Therrien, and you'll see plenty :laugh:

It isn't purely about Larry Robinson, it's about our GM taking his friends over more qualified people, one of the likely many being Robinson.

God only knows the number of more qualified people who missed out on the position in favor of JJ that we aren't aware of :amazed: I mean practically anyone with any experience is likely a better choice than JJ so... probably every single person who applied for the job.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
what's your point ?

That's this latest gripe with Bergevin is a direct product of the Sharks making the finals

If Blues beat the Sharks....this isn't even a point of contention

Thought that was pretty obvious

Devourers

Sep 20, 2013
Montreal
That's this latest gripe with Bergevin is a direct product of the Sharks making the finals

:laugh: Yeah because nobody complained about JJ before the playoffs :biglaugh: I usually can agree with a lot of what you say and often even do, but you're out to lunch with regard to this. Anyone with half a brain would prefer Larry to JJ even if the Sharks were a top 3 lottery team.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
There were actually. They were brought back to life by the interview of Robinson's agent by Marinaro. You may have missed that one.

Nah I got that one lol its Marinaro though....thats his thing

Again, it's fine, I just find it funny

I'm curious to see how further this board can drill down in order to destroy Bergevin lol

We're discussing assistant coaches now lol

lo striver

Jun 13, 2011
Our Lady of Grace

hm, Bergevin hired his childhood buddy JJD 4 years ago without even interviewing LR because Sharks are in the final this season? not obvious at all.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal

Agreed. Considering the position he ended up taking with the Sharks, I have a hard time digesting this notion that Bergevin turned his back on him when he swiped up JJ. Just like that.

I am repeating myself from the last thread, but with an organization with this money to spend, and considering the amount of success Larry has had in hockey all his life and the sheer presence of the man, I cannot fathom how Bergy just shut the door like that. It would be one thing if Bergevin called either the agent or Larry and suggested at least another position within the organization (I mean, how can having Big Bird hurt?), heck even as another assistant coach if need be, and Larry said he wasn't interested. The conversation from yesterday suggested that Bergevin didn't even think of doing that.

That's just it -- it really makes no sense. I've gotten into the heads of many managers, owners and professionals and seen how people explain away all sorts of odd decisions. When things don't add up, 90% of the time it began with a lazy decision that they cover up with layers of after-the-fact rationalization. Bergevin had an opportunity to bring in a highly accomplished professional and most likely took the easy road to save time and effort. Unless new information is revealed I'm not impressed.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Take any of the posts where people complained about the PP, the coaching, or more specifically Daigneault or Therrien, and you'll see plenty :laugh:

It isn't purely about Larry Robinson, it's about our GM taking his friends over more qualified people, one of the likely many being Robinson.

God only knows the number of more qualified people who missed out on the position in favor of JJ that we aren't aware of :amazed: I mean practically anyone with any experience is likely a better choice than JJ so... probably every single person who applied for the job.

I bet if you scour through most teams management staff, you'll notice that they tend to surround themselves with people who they have previous relationships with

But wouldn't expect something that so common to get any play here....

I'm waiting to read how we should of never fired Jacques Martin since he's now assistant coach in Pittsburgh, but given he was canned by the previous regime, not even you guys can make that reach

Who am I kidding though....its certainly not out of the realm of possibility

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006

that's what I thought.

Nothing to see.

Devourers

Sep 20, 2013
Montreal
Nah I got that one lol its Marinaro though....thats his thing

Again, it's fine, I just find it funny

I'm curious to see how further this board can drill down in order to destroy Bergevin lol

We're discussing assistant coaches now lol

BargainBin has done nothing to deserve the benefit of the doubt anymore. I've been displeased with the entire coaching staff for quite some time and he's actually backing them up keeping them when they're atrocious. We haven't had a working PP since they've been here. Meanwhile we have an elite PP QB on the back end and even though Markov is old he's perfectly capable of being another elite PP QB as evidenced by his entire career.

I fail to understand how a team with such a horrific PP % over so many years can't find a way to effectively score on the PP when they have not one but two elite PP d-men. Unless of course you want to argue Subban and Markov are simply not elite offensively, to which I'll say Therrien and JJ certainly have made a case for people to think so. :laugh:

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
I bet if you scour through most teams management staff, you'll notice that they tend to surround themselves with people who they have previous relationships with

But wouldn't expect something that so common to get any play here....

I'm waiting to read how we should of never fired Jacques Martin since he's now assistant coach in Pittsburgh, but given he was canned by the previous regime, not even you guys can make that reach

Who am I kidding though....its certainly not out of the realm of possibility

Just curious

are you talking about the guy who was
HEAD coach here
and is now
ASSISTANT coach in Pittsburgh

?

so what will your next post vs other posters will be about ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad