• Keep him is doing a good job

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
Some players get you to the playoffs, some get you through the playoffs. As much as I hate Bergevin that is probably one of the smartest things he's ever said. Any cup contender with a competent top six should be able to carry a Rene Bourque, Eller or DSP on their bottom six. This shouldn't be the difference of making or missing the playoffs but these depth guys will be the difference in winning or losing Lord Stanley's Cup.
I think one of the explanations given behind the lack of quality of teammates for Eller is that some believed that Eller was good enough to produce on his own, a bit like Brandon Sutter. He played a game that gelled well with everybody and didn't necessarily need a sniper on his line to produce. I think in the long run, that became a problem with Eller since he was used to playing with inferior teammates and started developing bad habits (hogging on the puck for too long and wasting the play). The logic behind was that Plekanec was better than him so he deserved better linemates and since DD was a one-dimensional playmaker, he needed snipers on his line in order to be useful. Now, before we beat a dead horse, yes it was stupid to waste Eller for a player like DD who was undrafted, it's not like we owed him anything. I never approved the importance they gave to DD.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
I think one of the explanations given behind the lack of quality of teammates for Eller is that some believed that Eller was good enough to produce on his own, a bit like Brandon Sutter. He played a game that gelled well with everybody and didn't necessarily need a sniper on his line to produce. I think in the long run, that became a problem with Eller since he was used to playing with inferior teammates and started developing bad habits (hogging on the puck for too long and wasting the play). The logic behind was that Plekanec was better than him so he deserved better linemates and since DD was a one-dimensional playmaker, he needed snipers on his line in order to be useful. Now, before we beat a dead horse, yes it was stupid to waste Eller for a player like DD who was undrafted, it's not like we owed him anything. I never approved the importance they gave to DD.

Therrien spent most of 2011-2012 bashing Eller on AC. He comes in as coach and after the first game of the season benches Eller for 2 games.

It's pretty clear Therrien just never liked him.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
Therrien spent most of 2011-2012 bashing Eller on AC. He comes in as coach and after the first game of the season benches Eller for 2 games.

It's pretty clear Therrien just never liked him.
Oh we're on same page here, I've made similar posts with the same facts a few weeks ago, he also put Eller on the wing before DD which made no sense.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I don't think anyone hated the player. Eller was always hardworking, strong, and responsible. As you said, the only catch was his erratic burst of offensive skill that disappeared for long stretches.
Yeah, well fans on here would get really missed off at Eller when his skills disappeared for those "long stretches."

MD thaivuN

Anime Music Hipster
Aug 2, 2012
Montreal
www.youtube.com

With Eller, I always felt we wasted him with players that didn't fit his play-style. More often than not, he was paired with the likes of Bourque, Briere, etc... guys who lacks shift-by-shift and game-by-game consistency (not just in points, but in overall drive and effort). For a guy whose game is all about Process and lacks creativity, those players were probably kryptonite for him. He should have played with the likes of Gionta (the only time he did was in the playoffs and it did wonders), aka fellow uncreative process-driven player.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
With Eller, I always felt we wasted him with players that didn't fit his play-style. More often than not, he was paired with the likes of Bourque, Briere, etc... guys who lacks shift-by-shift and game-by-game consistency (not just in points, but in overall drive and effort). For a guy whose game is all about Process and lacks creativity, those players were probably kryptonite for him. He should have played with the likes of Gionta (the only time he did was in the playoffs and it did wonders), aka fellow uncreative process-driven player.
You may have a point there, but he had great chemistry with Kostitsyn (but also Moen) which fits in your shift-by-shift category. Chemistry is hard to predict.

Reactions: MaxPacwhereishe

MD thaivuN

Anime Music Hipster
Aug 2, 2012
Montreal
www.youtube.com
You may have a point there, but he had great chemistry with Kostitsyn (but also Moen) which fits in your shift-by-shift category. Chemistry is hard to predict.

I'm probably remembering wrong, but wasn't A Kostitsyn also a plus puck possession player? I was never really convinced he was lazy or anything, but rather he's just not smart on the ice and that made him inconsistent in his overall effectiveness. Puck possession driving is still a form of process. In that way, he fit the mold of a Eller type of linemate.

Reactions: Doc McKenna

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
F4924DF6-0866-458E-AA0F-DF27CCBB4F24.jpeg

Reactions: DAChampion

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Some players get you to the playoffs, some get you through the playoffs. As much as I hate Bergevin that is probably one of the smartest things he's ever said. Any cup contender with a competent top six should be able to carry a Rene Bourque, Eller or DSP on their bottom six. This shouldn't be the difference of making or missing the playoffs but these depth guys will be the difference in winning or losing Lord Stanley's Cup.

50% of NHL teams make the playoffs. It's not an achievement.

Only 6% of NHL teams make the finals, and only 3% win the cup.

So yes, absolutely one should focus on the higher, harder, and more challenging bar. Rather than have a loser mentality of carrying Desharnais, Danault, Pacioretty, etc because they can score in the regular season.

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012
This just in, every 3rd liner without PP in the history of the NHL always were "hot and cold". Better being hot and cold than just cold like Logan Shaw

Exactly.. That's just an unfair assessments for Eller. That's the reality of any 3rd C in the league because they have to play with role player, plugs, ahlers etc... so it makes it almost impossible to build any type of chemistry.

You also don't have those offensive opportunities of the top 6 players so it's hard to develop confidence in your offensive game either.

Nick Bonino who's considered as one of the best 3rd C in the league has stretches 1 pt in 14 games and 1 pt in 10 games in his 72 games season.

Eller last season has a center of the Habs, most of his wingers never produced more than 20 pts in the league.. how can you get consistent production with those kind of players? He didn't have a Kessel like Bonino did.

Last edited:
Reactions: DAChampion

habs03

Subban #Thoroughbred
Jun 21, 2010
LMAO
Some people are really sensitive, you can hate all his GM moves and still admit the guy knows how to dress. Sure some of the stuff is out there, but its top notch.
Subban also dress' great. Both are not afraid to push it.

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
LMAO
Some people are really sensitive, you can hate all his GM moves and still admit the guy knows how to dress. Sure some of the stuff is out there, but its top notch.
Subban also dress' great. Both are not afraid to push it.

For the most part I’d agree, but his Batman-villain pants are out in left field.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad