Rumor: Marc Bergevin meets with team leaders, without Therrien

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
That's the kindof things GM's usually DON'T do, no?

I mean, he could've met either of them alone for whatever reason, but not three of them as a group.

He did similar meeting in Hamilton 3 seasons ago with the Dogs. Team went on stinking the league out, still stinks the league out......same coach working away.

Posturing by a poser.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
You can do that with most coaches. But at least Julien can adjust during the season. Therrien is a one trick pony. Teams figure us out during the season, make adjustments and we keep playing the same way. I wasn't happy when we got him the second time, but was ready to give him a chance.... That didn't last long.

Not if you read the majority of comments from Bruins fans on their boards.

The Nightman

Plateaued User
Aug 13, 2006
I'm sure "the worst captain in habs history" had some kind words about MT in the meeting.

Here we go, Pacioretty said that it's funny this even made the press and that he talks to Bergy almost everyday! But yeah , blown out of proportions as always.

He talks with him every day. ok cool. But does he, Price and Weber have private meetings with the manager every day?

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
You're all insane. We brought MT back, bringing guys back doesn't work. Why would we do it again? This is ********. Muller is a perfectly good candidate.

You do know this is Muller's 2nd time back?

Carbo Muller
Therrien Muller

Bringing back Claude with 419 wins and a cup isn't a real insane idea.
The coach gotta speak french, period....forget Muller / Gallant.....
The best french speaking coach available right now is CJ ...not Bob Hartley Roy or Muller etc....
I like Muller ,but this isn't the right time for him to take over...
Experience in CJ , i will take that right now ...

Last edited:

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
MB: "Hey guys, I was hoping you could all be there for the surprise party I'm throwing for Michel when I announce DD's new 6 year extension"

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
You're all insane. We brought MT back, bringing guys back doesn't work. Why would we do it again? This is ********. Muller is a perfectly good candidate.

Well if bringing guys back doesn't work then Muller is not a good candidate... :laugh:

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
That's a fair point, but still. The firing is something, but it's also magnified due to the disconnect between management and the team/fans. It's been like that since Sweeney came in. Feels like there's no plan.

For some reason, people have always felt bad for Julien when he gets fired...it happened in Montreal, New Jersey and now in Boston.

By all accounts, he's a wonderful person who people really gravitate too, so I think it's just a normal reaction for people to feel bad for him and feel like he was done in.

Truth is, this is a results oriented business...and any coach who misses the playoffs 2 years in a row and was trending for a 3rd year, isn't going to survive.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Here we go, Pacioretty said that it's funny this even made the press and that he talks to Bergy almost everyday! But yeah , blown out of proportions as always.

LMAO!!!! :laugh:

the hysteria amongst Habs fans has reached levels approaching the Darkest Day in History lol

Moose Head

Mar 12, 2002
Toronto
Visit site

How can you say Therrien hasn't worked? He took a team in disarray and provided 3 out of 4 great seasons. This season he's again on pace for the division title plus > 100pts. He's coached at a 100+ pt pace 4 of his 5 seasons

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
I'm sure "the worst captain in habs history" had some kind words about MT in the meeting.

He talks with him every day. ok cool. But does he, Price and Weber have private meetings with the manager every day?

The main point was that it's nothing special , this stuff happens. It's not the first time in history they sit at the table with the GM.

Muller was never canned by the habs

Doesn't change the fact that he's a revenant. Not happening anyways.

HCH

Dec 17, 2003
The Wild West
Visit site
How can you say Therrien hasn't worked? He took a team in disarray and provided 3 out of 4 great seasons. This season he's again on pace for the division title plus > 100pts. He's coached at a 100+ pt pace 4 of his 5 seasons

There is a good chance the Leafs will finish ahead of the Canadiens... maybe the Senators too with their strong goaltending ;)

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
For some reason, people have always felt bad for Julien when he gets fired...it happened in Montreal, New Jersey and now in Boston.

By all accounts, he's a wonderful person who people really gravitate too, so I think it's just a normal reaction for people to feel bad for him and feel like he was done in.

Truth is, this is a results oriented business...and any coach who misses the playoffs 2 years in a row and was trending for a 3rd year, isn't going to survive.

He got canned in NJ while his team was in first place with 47 wins?
He did get the Bruins into the playoffs 7 out of 9 years? I mean most coaches don't last that long...

And his cup win he came through Montreal to get it that year....

I think the Habs room could use a more player coach type....Jacques Martin and Therrien almost the same personality towards players...

Habs need more Barry Trotz in the room....

Last edited:

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada

He took a consistent playoff team who was on the upswing coming off one random bad season caused largely by injury and a bad coaching change and brought them to the same level they were essentially at.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007

Bringing guys back doesn't work, then you bring up Muller.. who was also brought back.

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
He did get the Bruins into the playoffs 7 out of 9 years?

I mean most coaches don't last that long...

And his cup win he came through Montreal to get it that year....

In a 4 year span Julien went cup winner, playoff team, cup runner up, President's trophy winner. That's an insanely good set of results that Therrien can't come clsoe to matching.

habtastic

Aug 17, 2007
Montrealer in Boston
I think Julien works with what he's got. He doesn't have a static style or strategy. That's what we need. I wouldn't mind Muller at all, but I'm all for Julien. It would also be hilarious considering the rivalry. He'd probably have his head spinning with who he was calling "divers".

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
He took a consistent playoff team who was on the upswing coming off one random bad season caused largely by injury and a bad coaching change and brought them to the same level they were essentially at.

Cammalleri/Halak/Hamrlik were 3 of the biggest reasons why we had any success in the playoffs and none were even here when Therrien took over.

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014

But that's the point though, there's a disconnect between the expectations of management and the outside world, most people believe Julien was doing miracles with the team, while management seems to think they're a bonafide playoffs team who's underachieving. I don't think it has much to do with personality, I think people feel like it was unfair because he was clearly not the issue.

The bruins simply miscalculated their re-tool process. They have a young crop of good players coming, so they'll be fine in the long term.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
I doubt this means anything and wouldn't read too much into it. Fans may as well just accept that we're stuck with the Harry and Lloyd duo for at least the remainder of this season.

If the Habs do totally collapse and miss the playoffs again or get knocked out in round 1 then maybe MT will get fired but I even doubt he gets fired even then. Foxhole buddies for life.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
I doubt this means anything and wouldn't read too much into it. Fans may as well just accept that we're stuck with the Harry and Lloyd duo for at least the remainder of this season.

If the Habs do totally collapse and miss the playoffs again or get knocked out in round 1 then maybe MT will get fired but I even doubt he gets fired even then. Foxhole buddies for life.

I don't believe that for a second......Bergy is seeing a slide again 2 years in a row, this time with Price in net...
Bergy can read the stats, we got a losing record against the contenders of the NHL....We get blasted 10-0 by the BJ's
Price staring down Therrien....(ya it was nothing) lol...but our play hasn't improved since then eh?

Bergy jumped in last year and said "It's on me" he took the blame...but this year he can't do that again.......
The Bullseye is on Therrien and any miss the playoffs or short playoff run = Bye bye Therrien....

CristianoRonaldo

Apr 7, 2014
In your head
Cammalleri/Halak/Hamrlik were 3 of the biggest reasons why we had any success in the playoffs and none were even here when Therrien took over.

Therrien had a better group than that.

Subban #1D
Pacioretty #1RW
Markov #2D-#3D
Galchy Blue-chip prospect
Gally good young LW
Price #1 G
Plekanec an average #1C

Forum93

Feb 16, 2015
I think Julien works with what he's got. He doesn't have a static style or strategy. That's what we need. I wouldn't mind Muller at all, but I'm all for Julien. It would also be hilarious considering the rivalry. He'd probably have his head spinning with who he was calling "divers".

I hated Julien with the Bruins but just seeing the reaction of the Bruins fans if he were hired here would be priceless.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
Julien is 10x times the coach MT is. He won a cup, MT hasn't won a damn thing in this league for a good reason.

He won a cup while his goalie put up a .940 save % in the playoffs and .938 save % in the regular season.

Thomas had one of the best seasons by a goalie EVER, throw any coach behind Boston's bench that year and they'd likely still win.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
LMAO!!!! :laugh:

the hysteria amongst Habs fans has reached levels approaching the Darkest Day in History lol

Well, what did you expect?

Might be true, might be a lie. You can take his words as gold if you want.
But one thing is 100% for sure, they all saw it on the social media, the PR group got together, met with Max (The C) and decided what was the best course of action to calm the situation. It's like that for every possible "mediatic **** storm" and it's also like that for every teams.

If the source of this is Dubé, then i trust a little more than most source since he's following the team and he's not known as a **** disturber.

One thing is for sure....if that meeting was "business as usual", then i'm pretty sure a guy like Dubé would knew it by now.

Therrien could have picked up a fight with Price, it's not like Therrien never has any trouble with any players, even if their name are Subban.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad