Marc Bergevin: Draft 2020 (XVI)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
Throw a pile of money at Dean Lombardi to become the GM. Successful Cup-winning GM currently with the Flyers org. It's time to stop the mentoring programs and give the job to an experienced winner.
I'd do whatever it takes to get George McPhee. Building up a real prospect factory is the first step.

I'm tempted to bring in Bruce Boudreau to pump up our assets and then dump them for our benefit. He'll need to be fired quick though as he is not a playoff coach.

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
I definitely thing he plays up the goofiness on tv a lot. When Chiclets interviewed him he came across way way better. Definitely knows the game inside and out and is much more respected within the league than many think.

My exact thought ls

Reactions: Tighthead

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
I'd do whatever it takes to get George McPhee. Building up a real prospect factory is the first step.

I'm tempted to bring in Bruce Boudreau to pump up our assets and then dump them for our benefit. He'll need to be fired quick though as he is not a playoff coach.
McPhee would also be great.

And before someone chimes in... yes, the reality of our market means a GM or coach will be evaluated on two distinct levels: Hockey expertise and cultural attachment. Both are important, but prioritizing one means giving less to the other. Claiming that "We can do both!" is marketing bullshit; it fools no one. There can many priorities but only one top priority. Up until now, they've chosen culture over expertise because the perception (rightly or wrongly) was that our market wanted that. At some point our market will probably prioritize expertise/winning and will pressure Molson to chose a candidate who reflects that. Culture will always be a priority, however it may stop being the top priority. Are we there yet? Yes, I believe the vast majority of fans are tired of losing, but it may take more time for that new pragmatism to filter up through the media to Geoff Molson's ears.

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
My exact thought ls

I’ve said this before. I wouldn’t want McGuire as GM, but I’d be fine with him as President.

I think he has a near obsession with scouting and prospects. He goes and watches college practices on his days off, even on the road. He’s repeatedly said that nobody should out-scout the Habs when it comes to the Q.

I do think he would be good at keeping the GM on track - have a plan, and ask yourself if the moves you are making accord with the plan.

Reactions: Runner77

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
I’ve said this before. I wouldn’t want McGuire as GM, but I’d be fine with him as President.

I think he has a near obsession with scouting and prospects. He goes and watches college practices on his days off, even on the road. He’s repeatedly said that nobody should out-scout the Habs when it comes to the Q.

I do think he would be good at keeping the GM on track - have a plan, and ask yourself if the moves you are making accord with the plan.
Well, I would say Mcguire has the work ethic for the job if he's working on his days off.

Besides, if he's not into the old-timey stuff that Marc is known for, that is better.

HabsCowboysOwn

Wak Prescott the 40M/yr fraud, here we gooo!
Feb 28, 2008
Montréal
Here's a recent picture of the orchestra conducted by Maestro Bergevin

Circus-clowns-460a_996561c.jpg

Holystik

Nov 17, 2018
Mars
Making a thread boasting about Bergevin and expecting it to not age terribly is like pulling the pin on a hand grenade and hoping it doesn't blow your face off.

Shame that thread was closed. OP deserved to get roasted.
He usually makes one thread of this kind once every few months. You just have to be quick to comment as they usually get locked out pretty quick and always end up making the 'normal' Habs fans look ridiculous on the mainboard...

MTL-rules

Nov 17, 2006
Doesnt deserve another kick at the can. He can take Timmins with him
I hope so. Everyone should go and Molson should only be the owner who enjoy the game from his luxury suite.

We need a drastic change from top to bottom, I'm tired to see these talentless playoffs bubble teams year in, year out.

Use your good players to get picks and prospects, wipe the bottom of the league for a couple of years and work your way back with young talented players. Enough with the half mesure bullshit.

Reactions: PhysicX

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
It's time to let him go.
Enough is enough.

This team is not going anywhere, nothing in the future tells me that this team will be a contender anytime soon.
After 5 years of being a bad team and being told that the "future is bright", well it's still dark.

Time for Mark Hunter.

Reactions: Doc McKenna

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
It's time to let him go.
Enough is enough.

This team is not going anywhere, nothing in the future tells me that this team will be a contender anytime soon.
After 5 years of being a bad team and being told that the "future is bright", well it's still dark.

Time for Mark Hunter.

We're still in year 2 of the new 8 year plan. Geoff said he expects results somewhere around year 3 or 4, so buckle-up buttercup, it's gonna be a long painful ride.

Reactions: the and Doc McKenna

Slew Foots

Everything is OK
Sep 6, 2006
We're still in year 2 of the new 8 year plan. Geoff said he expects results somewhere around year 3 or 4, so buckle-up buttercup, it's gonna be a long painful ride.

Therein lies the problem; as long as Geoff is running hockey ops as president, the outlook for the organization is pretty bleak. In a performance-driven organization with high accountability, Bergevin would have been fired years ago. We can only hope that what Bergevin told Waite about being next is true, but given Geoff's history, who knows.

That being said, I'm glad Bergevin is finally being exposed as a bad GM and that this view is gaining broader consensus (I'll never know how he fooled so many people for so long though).

Bergevin is an improvisational GM with zero understanding/appreciation for the importance of windows of contention in a salary cap environment. His strategy basically boiled down to "make the playoffs, cuz with Pricey in nets, anything is possible".

This year's edition is tinged with desperation. There are serious structural issues that made contention this year nearly impossible: 3 kids at center, lack of puck moving skills at D, no elite superstar forward who can make things happen out of nothing during cold spells for the team, and an aging core centered around a goalie (in an era where goalies are increasingly commoditized) and a stay-at home defenseman (in an era where teams are desperate for PMDs to help create offense). I was 100% convinced this was a middling team, and even after the hot start, I brought up evidence for this being the Habs modus operandi (for a number of reasons I won't delve into here).

Moreover cap allocation is abysmal: Habs are spending 21% of their cap space on goaltending, when the average is 9.5% and it's clear from the data that the gap in performance between the median goalie and the top goalies is 1) increasingly marginal / decreasing every year because goalie technique has been improving by leaps and bounds over the past decade and 2) variable by year (i.e. it is almost impossible to guarantee having a goalie that is consistently outperforming the average). In other words, it makes no sense to spend so much on goaltending because it doesn't guarantee a significant margin of outperformance. Goaltending is not a scarce asset anymore. Stay-at-home defensemen are another abundant asset class, and again it's an area where Bergevin overinvests, with 17M of cap space allocated to it. He systematically overpays for abundant asset class types because he has a fundamental lack of understanding of 1) how the game has evolved (as evidenced by signing Edmundson instead of a PMD) and 2) the importance of using cap dollars on the asset classes of highest scarcity in a salary cap environment.

Long story short, Bergevin has handcuffed the next GM by having stayed for far too long and been allowed to make moves to save himself to the detriment of the team's ability to build a proper contender. It's salvageable, but it would have made so much more sense to dump him back in 2018, and let a new GM do a proper rebuild to have a contention window starting in 2023 centered around guys like Kotkaniemi and Suzuki. That missed opportunity is on Geoff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad