Manitoba Junior Hockey League Superthread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
HIGHLY CONTROVERSIAL MOVE by the MJ dropped this weekend. The draft will be no more. Here's the explanation:

This got some social media chatter going, as people felt this could be a death blow for some of the smaller, more remote teams that would have a harder time drawing from the more densely populated southern population base. Teams like the Blizzard, Stampeders, Wolverines, maybe a couple of others.

I wonder what the logic is here? Are other CJHL teams doing this, or moving in that direction? It's quite a change. Seems to me that it's going to make it really tough for bad teams to rebuild without the benefit of some top picks.

With the rule change allowing more player power to kids as young as 17, this was probably inevitable.

I know a bunch of other leagues don't do a draft - There was also an announcement the SJ and MJ are doing a second showcase - Makes a lot of sense after the schedule was announced this year and there was no early-season MJ only showcase on the board.

Reactions: jetsmooseice

jetsmooseice

Up Yours Robison
Feb 20, 2020
With the rule change allowing more player power to kids as young as 17, this was probably inevitable.

I know a bunch of other leagues don't do a draft - There was also an announcement the SJ and MJ are doing a second showcase - Makes a lot of sense after the schedule was announced this year and there was no early-season MJ only showcase on the board.
I guess that adding the SJ to the showcase enhances its appeal to scouts? TBH I don't know who else would be interested in this thing. I occasionally drive long distances to watch MJ games but I'm not sure I'd cross the street to watch the showcase.

Tom ServoMST3K

Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
I guess that adding the SJ to the showcase enhances its appeal to scouts? TBH I don't know who else would be interested in this thing. I occasionally drive long distances to watch MJ games but I'm not sure I'd cross the street to watch the showcase.
Last year it was regular season games between teams at the ice-plex - Two years before it was an actual showcase with "all-star teams"

If I remember the news release right, the new showcase is acting as a place for team Canada world jr A challenge scouts to see players.

jetsmooseice

Up Yours Robison
Feb 20, 2020
Last year it was regular season games between teams at the ice-plex - Two years before it was an actual showcase with "all-star teams"

If I remember the news release right, the new showcase is acting as a place for team Canada world jr A challenge scouts to see players.

They used the "all star team" model this year but it was broken down by birth years (multiple U18 and U20 teams per league), which is a hyper-specific structure that only a scout could love, really.

Are they keeping the same model for this upcoming season?

Tom ServoMST3K

Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
They used the "all star team" model this year but it was broken down by birth years (multiple U18 and U20 teams per league), which is a hyper-specific structure that only a scout could love, really.

Are they keeping the same model for this upcoming season?

That was for the MJ/SJ showcase, and it's always been like that.

I was talking about the pure "MJHL Showcase" which changed to a bunch of regular season games last year.

jetsmooseice

Up Yours Robison
Feb 20, 2020
That was for the MJ/SJ showcase, and it's always been like that.

I was talking about the pure "MJHL Showcase" which changed to a bunch of regular season games last year.
Ah, gotcha. As you can see I don't pay terribly close attention to the various showcase events, ha.

Edit: Oh yeah, now I remember what you're talking about. Took me a moment but now I remember it.

Reactions: Tom ServoMST3K

Tom ServoMST3K

Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
Ah, gotcha. As you can see I don't pay terribly close attention to the various showcase events, ha.

Edit: Oh yeah, now I remember what you're talking about. Took me a moment but now I remember it.

I didn't even go to any of the MJHL showcase events, lol - there are a bunch of more interesting things to go to locally in Steinbach - I will always get to the MJ/SJ one - It's a good place to meet up with people from around the league - I wish I could just hang out there all week.

jetsmooseice

Up Yours Robison
Feb 20, 2020
Well, the Winnipeg Blues and Freeze aren't taking Steinbach's new arena lying down. They have fired back with announcements that they will be remaining at the Hockey For All Centre for three more years.

The interesting news there is that there is at least some contemplation being given to the Winnipeg Freeze continuing to exist for the next three years...

I get that junior A hockey is not quite the Big Time, especially in cities. But that said, if there is a junior A barn anywhere in Canada more devoid of atmosphere than the Flynn Arena at HFAC then I'd love to know about it.

jetsmooseice

Up Yours Robison
Feb 20, 2020
@jetsmooseice - Story on the end of the player draft here:

Great article.

I suppose the logic here is that young players have so many options now that it is folly to expect a teenager to go someplace far from home just because you tell them they got drafted?

I can see the logic in that regard, but I think that a tough recruiting assignment for some of the more far-flung or smaller town MJHL teams like the Blizzard, Stampeders and the Wolverines, just got tougher.

jetsmooseice

Up Yours Robison
Feb 20, 2020
The Winnipeg Blues have announced a new head coach and general manager... Josh Gratton, with an extensive pro resume under his belt, is the new top dog. Former head coach and GM Alex Mandolidis moved up to the front office as VP Operations back in June.

Hopefully this is a sign of good things to come for the Blues, who have struggled for the past few seasons.

jetsmooseice

Up Yours Robison
Feb 20, 2020
The (formerly OCN) Blizzard have announced that they are now the Northern Manitoba Blizzard. The change makes sense given that they are now no longer owned by Opaskwayak Cree Nation, nor does the team play there anymore.

Tom ServoMST3K

Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
The (formerly OCN) Blizzard have announced that they are now the Northern Manitoba Blizzard. The change makes sense given that they are now no longer owned by Opaskwayak Cree Nation, nor does the team play there anymore.
They had been going by just "Blizzard" in some places after moving from the OCN arena.

Seems like now that the ownership situation is settled, it's a much more stable franchise.

jetsmooseice

Up Yours Robison
Feb 20, 2020
We all know that the Blues and Freeze have the same owners, but lately I've noticed they are doing more things jointly to the point that it's starting to look like there is no separation at all between the teams. It's a strange look and not a particularly good one for the MJ, it makes the league look a bit like a bit like a spring hockey league with a bunch of random teams operated by the same company.

jetsmooseice

Up Yours Robison
Feb 20, 2020
Happened to be out in Westman over the weekend and I picked up a copy of the Neepawa Banner... there was a news story about some leaks in the pipes at the Yellowhead Centre which had to be repaired before ice could be made. Because of the delays in getting parts and then installing them, it meant that having training camp in Neepawa was impossible so it was relocated on short notice to the Enns Brothers Arena at the Keystone Centre in Brandon. This is a pretty impressive feat considering that Brandon is currently hosting many people relocated from northern communities that are threatened by wildfires so there aren't many accommodations available.

A couple of early season Titans home games were rescheduled to be away games instead. They are hoping the ice should be ready to go soon, but the team and league are preparing contingency plans in case they're not.

On the brighter side of things, I popped into Tundra Oil and Gas Place and the ice is coming along nicely for the Oil Caps training camp.

jetsmooseice

Up Yours Robison
Feb 20, 2020
wondering what everyone thinks where all the teams will end up in the standings this season?
any guesses?

Good question! I expect that the powerhouses will remain powerhouses but I am curious to see where things will go for the Nighthawks after all their drama last season. I am also cautiously optimistic about the Winnipeg teams, I wonder if either of them can climb up a rung or two from the bottom of the ladder. Also wondering whether Steinbach will come back down to earth a little after a good run at the top.

Only 6 days until the preseason starts!!

Tom ServoMST3K

Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
Good question! I expect that the powerhouses will remain powerhouses but I am curious to see where things will go for the Nighthawks after all their drama last season. I am also cautiously optimistic about the Winnipeg teams, I wonder if either of them can climb up a rung or two from the bottom of the ladder. Also wondering whether Steinbach will come back down to earth a little after a good run at the top.

Only 6 days until the preseason starts!!

I'll run through my thoughts on the East Division teams, as I get a good handle on all of them over the course of the season.

I'm actually quite high on Steinbach. Their forwards last year were unusually young and new to the league, - and they're returning the team's (and maybe league's) best player from last year (IMO) in D-man Noah Szabo.

The schedule is a big help to them this year too - they usually get off to a great start, and then because of the new building (Opening date Dec 31), they're loaded up on home games in the back-half of the season.

I'm most interested in Winkler and Portage. I assume one of those two teams will rise to battle for the title of "best team in the league" with Steinbach this year.

I thought Falk was outstanding and got that Winkler team to play with a concrete identity, and I'm not sure he's replaceable.

Winkler and Steinbach were so much better than the competition last year IMO - it's like they were playing in a different league. I saw them play in September, and said - "These two teams will play in the final, and Winkler will win"

For Portage, you knew they'd be a bit down last year, it just remains to be seen if they can recover to a top level from that Centennial hosting run.

I don't have a vibe yet in Niverville - Definitely no lack of intrigue there though. Pretty optimistic from everyone I've talked to in the club at the start of camp, but I assume literally every team in the league is. LeGall might have been the best goalie in the league last year, and Coyle (D-Man) was my favourite player in the league to watch, and I think both are heading to the USHL to start the season.

Niverville is also the only team in the league with a separate GM and Head Coach, and I think that could be a major advantage for them.

(Maybe you'll count Selkirk too, but Hudson is also the team's Director of Hockey Ops in addition to head coach, so I don't,)

On that note, I actually like Selkirk, their problem is they always get off to the worst start, and then can't catch up - They need to do a better job in camp to have success.

I'm personally not very optimistic at all for either Winnipeg team, although that's because I don't think I have seen them win a single time during my many, many games attended in the MJ over the last two seasons.

The one team I'm really interested in in the West is OCN - With ownership stabilized, and a head coach signed up long term, I wonder if the team can continue the momentum of last year.

Last edited:

jetsmooseice

Up Yours Robison
Feb 20, 2020
That is a great rundown!

The Blizzard should be pretty good this season, if they managed to weather the off-ice storms and still be in good shape on the ice, I would expect them to be really good this season. I saw them play last season and they certainly looked like a competitive team. And they will have a lot of continuity at the top with their head coach/GM committing for the next 5 years.

I haven't seen much of Selkirk recently but they have struck me as being a seriously underachieving team. They seem like a team that should be in the running but they have been struggling to hit .500 lately and that's with the benefit of a pile of easy wins against the Blues and Freeze.

It's worth mentioning that the exhibition season has begun. I won't be taking in any games right now but I'll be going once the regular season is under way. In addition to the usual slate of Blues and Freeze games, I expect to make the trip down to Niverville again, and also to Selkirk where I have never attended a game before. I'm planning to head down to Steinbach once the new rink is open, as long as my kids' game schedules let me.

Tom ServoMST3K

Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
@jetsmooseice - Some links just for you:

This time of year is really fun to be in hockey - the entire season is laid out in front of you and the possibilities feel infinite.

jetsmooseice

Up Yours Robison
Feb 20, 2020
@jetsmooseice - Some links just for you:

This time of year is really fun to be in hockey - the entire season is laid out in front of you and the possibilities feel infinite.
Great rundown, I also noticed this article was recently posted in The Carillon:

Also, today we had the very rare treat of a Winnipeg newspaper columnist talking MJ with this Mike McIntyre column profiling new Blues coach and former pro player, Josh Gratton:

Tom ServoMST3K

Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?

I loved this piece from Mike.

Recent trade as well:

jetsmooseice

Up Yours Robison
Feb 20, 2020
I loved this piece from Mike.

Recent trade as well:

Hot off the Blackberry lol

While we're being silly, am I the only one who thinks that the PWHL's Minnesota Frost drew their inspiration from the Blues and Freeze? It seriously looks like a mashup of the two logos

MinnesotaFrost.png

tmis_66d9bcad04f36.png

jetsmooseice

Up Yours Robison
Feb 20, 2020
Well, the preseason is over. Congrats to the Blizzard on their preseason championship by running the table and going 4-0. Of note, every club got at least one win.

Bring on the regular season which starts Friday night!

NorthStar

Dec 24, 2004
Winnipeg, MB
havent been to a MJHL game in a long time now.. thinking of going to a WInnipeg Blues or Niverville Nighthawks game this season, depending on my work schedule and etc.. would be nice to check out the MJHL once again after a long time (last time I think was wayyyy back in 2014 or so ehhh)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad