Managerial Thread - 24/25 Season - Engloland

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Apparently Mats full of Humself (I tried) went to see the higher ups before the CL Final, to complain about Terzic

Please tell me it’s not true
For what it's worth, there's been reported tensions a lot earlier as well with Terzic and a handful of players, from more and less reliable sources.

I found this from March 1st.

Hummels' relationship with the management must've become too toxic, if they won't keep him even with Terzic leaving.

Reactions: Power Man

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
nope i flatly refuse to recognize nuri sahin as coach of dortmund

he's still 25 and having a shitty loan at liverpool

i guess i'm gonna have to become the BVB manager equivalent of those weirdos who claim there's still a pretender to the French throne

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
To be fair Sahin is just 35, not like he's in his 40s. Maybe you're not that old.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House

Laurie Whitwell got to see the season review report by United and here's some excerpts posted on Finnish messageboards:

On Ronaldo:

Cristiano Ronaldo was something of a litmus test. Ten Hag tried to get Ronaldo to press, not least because of his own ideals but also due to the wish from directors for a high-intensity style.

He made allowances. Rather than asking for three distinct runs as he would do of a young player, he wanted two — for example, chasing the first defender on the ball, then following to the goalkeeper, before dropping back into shape if unsuccessful. Ronaldo was coached on this time and again but he made minimal movements in training, according to people with direct knowledge of the sessions, leaving some staff to wonder if he understood.

There are people familiar with the situation at United who believe Ronaldo knew what was being asked yet failed to comply because he felt it was not the best use of his abilities or the way to win matches

On Sancho:

Sancho did not commit to pressing as an “opposition” player in the practice match in the way Ten Hag wanted. Sancho was offered the chance to end his involvement early, which he took by walking off the pitch.
He also told the club/manager, that they bought the wrong player, because he doesn't want to play on the right side.

On Casemiro & Varane:

Casemiro and Raphael Varane spoke to team-mates about the similar approaches taken by Carlo Ancelotti and Zinedine Zidane at Real Madrid, which gave players more freedom and greater agency on workload, and how Ten Hag’s positional style of football was not to their taste.

They were told by staff that Madrid is a completely different club to United and La Liga a slower competition with less strength in depth than the Premier League, so those same liberal techniques would not work. But Casemiro and Varane, having won multiple titles, had strong feelings and became dissenting voices.

On Rashford, who is apparently too dense to take longer instructions:

Rashford is known to have taken issue with Ten Hag’s style of management, though. The pair seemed to have a strong relationship after a productive first season, with Rashford given the platform to play some of the best football of his career, but strains emerged. Rashford is the kind of player who takes on coaching in bite-sized chunks rather than exhaustive instructions. Ole Gunnar Solskjaer kept Rashford’s game relatively simple, focusing on his ability to cut in from the left and run in behind. The arrival of Rasmus Hojlund, who likes to pick up the ball in the inside left channel, saw Rashford shift further towards the wing, away from the areas where he did his best work.

Rashford hiring a new PR in Caroline McAteer, who works with Ronaldo, Sancho and Varane (plus Mason Mount), caused ripples at United due to challenging relationships between those three players and Ten Hag. Rashford felt he needed an advocate in the media in the face of intense scrutiny and online abuse.

Vegas:

However, some players have been frustrated at a training schedule that was typically shared late on, despite being planned meticulously weeks beforehand. Others believed more days off in a packed calendar would have been beneficial. Those privy to Ten Hag’s views say he felt notifying players of days off in advance would invite them to plan trips abroad, possibly jeopardising their fitness on return. An example of why Ten Hag reached that conclusion came in Las Vegas on the pre-season trip. Five players went out to Drai’s nightclub the night before United played Borussia Dortmund despite Ten Hag insisting everybody get rest. When asked by a fellow partygoer at Drai’s whether being out late would be frowned upon, one of the players is said to have replied that he wanted to have fun while in Vegas.

On Hatterson's favorite subject, the distances between the defense and midfield:

That defensive line was at the crux of Ten Hag’s troubles, however. He continued to instruct for a higher starting point so that his team could squeeze the play in the final third to win the ball and counter quickly. It was the blueprint mapped out by the United hierarchy, but the personnel at his disposal, especially with Martinez injured for the vast majority of the campaign, were ill-equipped for that style. Often they would drop deeper than Ten Hag intended, leaving a large space for midfielders to cover.

A clear example came in the FA Cup win over Liverpool when Caoimhin Kelleher claimed a Fernandes free kick that Varane and Lindelof had got in the box to meet. As Varane and Lindelof jogged back, Ten Hag shouted and demonstrated with his palms down that they should stop just beyond the halfway line. When they fell further back, he slapped his hands in frustration.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
ETH was a pundit on Dutch tv during the Serbia - England game:

Erik ten Hag: "#mufc have told me that they spoke with Tuchel, but they eventually came to the conclusion that they already have the best manager."

Erik ten Hag: “INEOS are new into football, so it's normal to take their time and reflect the season”.

“It's no secret that they talked with multiple candidates for Man United job, in England it’s allowed”, he told NOS Studio Voetbal.

Erik ten Hag: “Manchester United flew to me in Ibiza to tell me that I was gonna stay”.

“So they disturbed my holiday, they suddenly stood at my doorstep”, he said smiling on NOS Studio Voetbal.

Erik ten Hag on contract talks: "#mufc and I have still to find an agreement for the new contract. This isn't easily done, we are going to have to talk about this."

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
I think it’d be a mistake for United to agree a new deal at this stage. No need. If they perform well under Ten Haag it may cost more, but then he’ll have earned it and it’ll probably be the right decision.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
I think it’d be a mistake for United to agree a new deal at this stage. No need. If they perform well under Ten Haag it may cost more, but then he’ll have earned it and it’ll probably be the right decision.
I could see them wanting a 1 year extension so he’s not a lame duck going into any potential end of season games next year, but the problem there is I doubt he signs a 1 year extension and instead demands 2-3 years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad