Managerial Thread - 24/25 Season - Engloland

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Incubajerks

Feb 9, 2010
Roma
I get your main argument and I might be too pedantic on this, but de Zerbi is an absolute upgrade on EtH...especially concerning transfer targets.

Strange though, ETH has been confirmed and De Zerbi is still without a team, yet many teams, even important ones, have changed coaches. How is it possible that no one thought of him?

Reactions: Jussi

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
And yet, a scrutinous adult with the power of context clues can put all the pieces together.

Whereas blowing a 3-0 lead to a second division side in a season where you by and large play like absolute dogshit with appalling underlyings, bailed out by a pretty mad track record of fluke equalizers is, well, that
I was trying to show how small margins are from winning and losing. I know you being a Chelsea fan this level of stability is disgusting to you but fact is ETH finished his 2nd year and has what 2 trophies, one with a injury riddled season. I remember when Arteta supposedly sucked and most wanted him gone.... how did that turn out.
ETH had a plan. He brought up whoever he wanted. Almost all sucked.
This is on him.
United's purchases sucked before his arrival. You cant really put it all on him.

Reactions: Gecklund

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
I don’t want to hear any bullshit about how good the new guys are. They were out offering the job to anyone they could, couldn’t get anyone and are stuck. Until actual results improve, just shut up about them being the smartest or new culture or whatever.
Who are you talking about?

Strange though, ETH has been confirmed and De Zerbi is still without a team, yet many teams, even important ones, have changed coaches. How is it possible that no one thought of him?
I think the hype has died down a bit. Brighton struggled in the 2nd half and didn't look well at all.
Coupled with the fact they were a decent side under Potter, maybe some teams just wanna see if RDZ is, indeed, "the" guy - or better suited to mid-table clubs who slightly overachieve.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I was trying to show how small margins are from winning and losing. I know you being a Chelsea fan this level of stability is disgusting to you but fact is ETH finished his 2nd year and has what 2 trophies, one with a injury riddled season. I remember when Arteta supposedly sucked and most wanted him gone.... how did that turn out.

United's purchases sucked before his arrival. You cant really put it all on him.
Again, I wrote a post detailing every purchase he made. HE MADE.
Catastrophic results. Especially when considering the price.
He had all the money to turn this team around. But he made bad choices all around.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
ETH is partially to blame for the squad though. Guys like Antony were 100% his purchases.
With Antony, the main issue is how much he cost. The manager doesn't handle negotiations at United, or much elsewhere either, so that puts the focus on the suits department. Notorious for poor transfer negotiations. From what I've gathered of the new people, they definitely wouldn't have paid that much for Antony, if anything. And it seems they want to have the final say on purchases over the manager.

He had all the money to turn this team around. But he made bad choices all around.
Not all the money. Some guys he wanted, were thought to be overpriced. You know at least one... :laugh:

In general, if the other option was Southgate, then I'd rather have ETH stay. I don't think De Zerbi was ever available and the other two, Poch and Tuchel were no gos for me (and Tuchel ruled himself out anyway). Lack of options, so let's see what ETH can do under a proper upper level management and hopefully a healthier squad.

Last edited:

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
We all know the coach doesn’t handle negotiations. Like I said it’s his 2nd year and he’s won with a limited squad, it’s telling that most united fans are ok while rival fans are not. Give him time, that’s what Arsenal did with Arteta and look what happened.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
We all know the coach doesn’t handle negotiations. Like I said it’s his 2nd year and he’s won with a limited squad, it’s telling that most united fans are ok while rival fans are not. Give him time, that’s what Arsenal did with Arteta and look what happened.
Yep, nothing.
Arsenal has been all hype and choke so far.
Good they reached the CL which is a step forward. But again he's been backed by a lot of money and his best result is 2nd in EPL and 1/8 in CL.

• Wow

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Like I said. ETH certainly isn’t without his faults. I think he was rightfully close to losing his job at the end of the season and it made sense to look at other options. But if there’s no one who’s a better fit, making a change to make a change isn’t necessarily better.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Spent last summer : 235M€
Spent the summer before : 186.40M€
21-22 : 185.85M€
20-21 : 86M€
19-20 : 160.80M€
Total : 853.45M over 5 summers.
Departures : 53+19+31.4+23.8+69.2=196.4
Net spent : over 650M€ !!!

End result :
2 CL QF (including next summer)
1 Cup
2 2nd place where his team was in the driver seat and fell flat TWICE.

And let's be honest, his best puchase was not his but Emery's (Saliba) and he tried everything to run him out of Arsenal by starting the Rob Holdings of the world before him.

• Wow

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Chelsea get clowned for having a revolving door of coaches, united getting clowned for sticking with their guy....

Maybe if they had an actual plan ETH would have something to work with.

I mean whatever you think of ten Hag, it's objectively hilarious that they announced he was leaving before the Cup final so that they wouldn't have to consider keeping him if he actually won, then they won so they decided to keep him

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I mean whatever you think of ten Hag, it's objectively hilarious that they announced he was leaving before the Cup final so that they wouldn't have to consider keeping him if he actually won, then they won so they decided to keep him
The club and none of the United reporters announced he was leaving. Some Chelsea reporter did and everyone ran with it when it wasn’t true.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
United promoting youth players is not exclusive to ETH. Really silly if that was a justification here.
It's the injuries most. Unprecedented in club history. Practically the whole season with out a LB, a gazillion different backline combinations and about 20 different CB pairings. It was much worse than Liverpool had 3 years ago.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
It's the injuries most. Unprecedented in club history. Practically the whole season with out a LB, a gazillion different backline combinations and about 20 different CB pairings. It was much worse than Liverpool had 3 years ago.
Was it though? LFC made UCL with Nat Phillips and Rhys Williams and probably had about as many different pairings

Reactions: luiginb

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Spent last summer : 235M€
Spent the summer before : 186.40M€
21-22 : 185.85M€
20-21 : 86M€
19-20 : 160.80M€
Total : 853.45M over 5 summers.
Departures : 53+19+31.4+23.8+69.2=196.4
Net spent : over 650M€ !!!

End result :
2 CL QF (including next summer)
1 Cup
2 2nd place where his team was in the driver seat and fell flat TWICE.

And let's be honest, his best puchase was not his but Emery's (Saliba) and he tried everything to run him out of Arsenal by starting the Rob Holdings of the world before him.
Or you can spend a boat load and not compete like Chelsea. Fact is there isn’t a single Arsenal fan that would agree with you.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Or you can spend a boat load and not compete like Chelsea. Fact is there isn’t a single Arsenal fan that would agree with you.
I think it’s fair to say Arsenal have underachieved, based on what they spent. I also think no one at Arsenal should be unhappy with Arteta. Yet. The fact is going against the 115ers is a very hard thing to do

(Almost) EVERYONE is going to be picking Arsenal to win the league next year though

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Some people are just underrated in life and he's one of them. I think he wanted the Chelsea job, but they didn't choose him (thankfully). He will find one, but I think a lot of it depends on him since he could potentially sit out a season and get the Man City position next year.

I think it’s fair to say Arsenal have underachieved, based on what they spent. I also think no one at Arsenal should be unhappy with Arteta. Yet. The fact is going against the 115ers is a very hard thing to do

(Almost) EVERYONE is going to be picking Arsenal to win the league next year though
Arsenal are EPL title-winning teams last year and this year, it's that Man City should have already been punished. What could have Arsenal possibly done better?

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Arsenal are EPL title-winning teams last year and this year, it's that Man City should have already been punished. What could have Arsenal possibly done better?
No they weren’t. City were.

Arsenal could have done better by not being content with 0-0 in Manchester. They were in their best run of form and a chance to rip City’s head off but said “no thanks”

Also I didn’t think Arsenal were great when they had to play more than once a week

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016

ETH is currently in similar situation as Arteta was, 8th place finish and an FA cup win.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad