Managerial Thread - 24/25 Season - Engloland

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
I don't know if he has any international experience but on the surface that's clearly a homerun hire for the US. The team's talent level is going to cap him though. Feels like he'd work best for a side that has a lot of dual nationalities in which his stature could work as a selling point.

Reactions: DaveG

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Poch is a very, very, very good coach and therefore as someone who wants USMNT to fail I do not like the hire

But club --> NT is never seamless, so it's not a slam dunk

Reactions: luiginb

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Poch is a very, very, very good coach and therefore as someone who wants USMNT to fail I do not like the hire

But club --> NT is never seamless, so it's not a slam dunk

It can be, but generally it’s the more tactical coaches that suffer from not having enough time to drill their squad. The more NBA style ego-managers can general do well with the switch.

…though “in general” is just that, Nagelsmann is as tactical as it gets and he’s been great.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Kind of surprised he took a national team job in general (would say this even if he took the England job) as he's pretty a locked in candidate for most of the top half of the Premier League. It's just unless he makes a crazy deep run his stock isn't going to improve with the USMNT

Reactions: luiginb

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
In theory, the US manager is about the most appealing job in the game. If you're enough of a control freak and/or egomaniac you'd believe that with a decade or two, an unlimited budget and massive potential for growth you could, in theory, make them the best in the world.

Whether or not anyone could actually manage that, who knows. But it'd be fun to try, probably.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
In theory, the US manager is about the most appealing job in the game. If you're enough of a control freak and/or egomaniac you'd believe that with a decade or two, an unlimited budget and massive potential for growth you could, in theory, make them the best in the world.

Whether or not anyone could actually manage that, who knows. But it'd be fun to try, probably.
Yeah, there's no denying the potential the US has. But it requires a long term project.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
What exactly is the potential the US has? Okay, you have access to probably unlimited funds. But the potential to expand your talent pool isn't there. How many dual nationals are in Europe? Doubt there's many.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
What exactly is the potential the US has? Okay, you have access to probably unlimited funds. But the potential to expand your talent pool isn't there. How many dual nationals are in Europe? Doubt there's many.
It’s legitimately the stupidest argument I’ve heard for a decade now. Americans are the best athletes or some other bs. They’ll never be the best footballing nation. Never ever not in our life time.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012

It’s legitimately the stupidest argument I’ve heard for a decade now. Americans are the best athletes or some other bs. They’ll never be the best footballing nation. Never ever not in our life time.
The "what if ~random basketballist~ played hockey" is about my least favourite recurring thread on here, but that's not the point. If the US puts the money in and creates the facilities and hires or trains the coaches and gets enough of the population taking the sport seriously at youth level, they absolutely could produce world class players if the process if given the necessary time and funds. Whether or not that happens or whether Pochettino is the man to do or not we'll probably never know, but it's easy to see the appeal.

Wee Baby Seamus

Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Poch is not gonna change the largest structural inhibitor in US footballing development, which is pay-to-play youth systems! The MLS academies have made enormous progress and US prospect development is now by far the best it's been in my time following the sport, but it remains a major barrier

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
The "what if ~random basketballist~ played hockey" is about my least favourite recurring thread on here, but that's not the point. If the US puts the money in and creates the facilities and hires or trains the coaches and gets enough of the population taking the sport seriously at youth level, they absolutely could produce world class players if the process if given the necessary time and funds. Whether or not that happens or whether Pochettino is the man to do or not we'll probably never know, but it's easy to see the appeal.
I think the logistics of doing what people think is possible with youth soccer in the US is extremely difficult for a country the size of the US, both in terms of population and area. And fixing issues at the youth level doesn't address that the sport is just less popular than other options at a high school level and above. I played AYSO with 10-15 kids who all also played on club teams. I was the only one who played at the high school level or beyond, with all of them opting for football, basketball, etc... instead. Small sample size sure.

Reactions: Spring in Fialta

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Poch is not gonna change the largest structural inhibitor in US footballing development, which is pay-to-play youth systems! The MLS academies have made enormous progress and US prospect development is now by far the best it's been in my time following the sport, but it remains a major barrier
Pay-to-play is the norm for all top level youth sports in the US though, it's not just a footballing issue. I do agree the growth of MLS academies has been a really huge asset.

Reactions: Ben Grimm

Wee Baby Seamus

Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Pay-to-play is the norm for all top level youth sports in the US though, it's not just a footballing issue. I do agree the growth of MLS academies has been a really huge asset.
oh i know it's not specifically a footballing issue, but when it's a different structure than every other country and pushes out good players it presents a development problem

Reactions: Spring in Fialta

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
they would produce world class talent but hardly be “best team in the world” they may match the elites in Europe but that’ll take about 100 years and capitalism will swallow itself by then. Making this conversation pointless.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad