Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
RDZ to chelsea (low tier ITKs) steam has picked up in the last 24H

Also POS Matt Law reporting it as well

Reactions: Blender

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
I feel bad for Xavi, no other coach would have done better with this squad this year. Laporta keeps shitting on our legends, like we're Real or something. This all stems from that bonehead Araujo.

Whoa, whoa, whoa. Let me start off with I’m not sure about the timing here. Why couldn’t we wait until the season was over? I’ve seen a reason to do with the Femeni side’s season, but still can’t see why you wouldn’t wait until the end of the season. So in that sense I think it would have been more respectful to Xavi to have waited.

I’ll also reiterate that I’m still not sure why all parties ever backtracked on the original decision for him to leave at the end of the season. You can blame Araujo all you want, but despite a positive run of results the team still has never played as well as it should have.

That brings me to your comment about another manager. I would say that are likely a few managers who would have done better with our team this season. Guardiola being an obvious answer, but I’d have taken a punt with others who I think would have done better. As much as I bitch about some of the players, there was enough talent there to put in better performances. I’ll add that I still think Xavi has failed to use certain players who were performing.

Not a fan of Xavi leaving this way, but he too should have stuck with his decision. And I appreciate the work he’s done including winning a title. Still, the time has come for a change as he’s not demonstrating any progression with the team.

Reactions: Duchene2MacKinnon

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Read something that said Kompany accepted the job within 5mins of being on the phone with Bayern. I guess Bayern was just the guy at the bar hitting on all the hot managers and after getting rejected so many times finally settled for Kompany, because he reeks of desperation just as much as them.

Seems shitty to criticize Kompany as 'desperate'. Anyone with an ambition and seeing such a massive step-up would jump at the opportunity, doesn't make you desperate.

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
Seems shitty to criticize Kompany as 'desperate'. Anyone with an ambition and seeing such a massive step-up would jump at the opportunity, doesn't make you desperate.
Sure, it's shitty in the sense that if Bayern called me on the phone today and offered me the job, then I'd have accepted it in 30 seconds rather than 5 minutes. But an actual manager candidate doing that should have been a sign to Bayern that he's going to be in over his head.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Sure, it's shitty in the sense that if Bayern called me on the phone today and offered me the job, then I'd have accepted it in 30 seconds rather than 5 minutes. But an actual manager candidate doing that should have been a sign to Bayern that he's going to be in over his head.

I honestly think I'd be way more alarmed by Kompany posturing on me after leaving Burnley. It would make him look so stupid IMO. No shit he's going to jump at the opportunity, why play games? I really don't see anything wrong with him saying yes right away.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Plymouth have actually hired Rooney. What they've done is look at Birmingham, a much bigger club with much more money than them, who were pushing for a playoff spot and sacked their manager to bring in Rooney who started them on an unassailable slide towards relegation and say "yes, we'll have some of that please."

The mind boggles.

Reactions: maclean and JPBolts

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Plymouth have actually hired Rooney. What they've done is look at Birmingham, a much bigger club with much more money than them, who were pushing for a playoff spot and sacked their manager to bring in Rooney who started them on an unassailable slide towards relegation and say "yes, we'll have some of that please."

The mind boggles.
It’s, um, pretty insane.

I don’t think his time at Birmingham is necessarily reflective of his quality as a manager (pretty untenable dressing room situation to be the guy brought in because of Big Name to replace the manager that all the players adored), and I’m choosing to hope that his time at Derby - where he first kept up a pretty dire and internally f***ed up side which was bottom when he took over (albeit with a late season slip that nearly jeopardized it) and then would’ve (if not for point deductions) comfortably kept up a side which was in administration for almost the whole year - is maybe more reflective of his quality as a manager. Maybe?

But also, his Assistant at Derby was Liam Rosenior, who has subsequently done an amazing job with Hull and will likely get a low table PL job soon. So who f***ing knows. Might’ve been all Liam.

Problems for Plymouth started when a bigger club with more money (Stoke) took Steven Schumacher, who brought em up.

As a relatively recent Plymouth fan (always had a soft spot, pal from high school whose wedding I was best man at is from Plymouth and we used to joke about how dire they were, but now that they’re in the Champ they’re a LOT easier to watch in Canada) I’m choosing to be delusional and optimistic.

Reactions: JPBolts and Blender

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
It’s, um, pretty insane.

I don’t think his time at Birmingham is necessarily reflective of his quality as a manager (pretty untenable dressing room situation to be the guy brought in because of Big Name to replace the manager that all the players adored), and I’m choosing to hope that his time at Derby - where he first kept up a pretty dire and internally f***ed up side which was bottom when he took over (albeit with a late season slip that nearly jeopardized it) and then would’ve (if not for point deductions) comfortably kept up a side which was in administration for almost the whole year - is maybe more reflective of his quality as a manager. Maybe?

But also, his Assistant at Derby was Liam Rosenior, who has subsequently done an amazing job with Hull and will likely get a low table PL job soon. So who f***ing knows. Might’ve been all Liam.

Problems for Plymouth started when a bigger club with more money (Stoke) took Steven Schumacher, who brought em up.

As a relatively recent Plymouth fan (always had a soft spot, pal from high school whose wedding I was best man at is from Plymouth and we used to joke about how dire they were, but now that they’re in the Champ they’re a LOT easier to watch in Canada) I’m choosing to be delusional and optimistic.

Mildly terrified both that this advert is fourteen years old and that "Ditmar Van Nostril Boy" felt familiar despite not hearing it for fourteen years

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Vinny is a great manager. Did great with Burnley, completely changed their decade+ lasting defensive system.
From Defensive to Offensive, broke the championship win and point record last season.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
RDZ to Chelsea seems inevitable. They’ve done the Tyler Myers thing that the Canucks did in 2019 and leak that it’s an 8x7 so that the fans eat up a 6x5

Reactions: Blender

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Vinny is a great manager. Did great with Burnley, completely changed their decade+ lasting defensive system.
From Defensive to Offensive, broke the championship win and point record last season.
Then he spent 110M and only had his team score 24 points while having an awful offense and an awful defense.

It doesn’t mean he’s an awful manager, but it reeks of desperation that Bayern is paying 12 million to buy out a manager whose only top flight experience in a major league is getting relegated.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I'm surprised no one has tested how much Jaissle is enjoying life in Arabia. He was fantastic with Salzburg and took his freshly promoted side to third in the Saudi league.

I still rate him as the best up n coming German manager over Hoeneß and think he’s just as good as Xabi, despite not having the same clout from his playing days.

Jaissle is not as proven as Nagelsmann was when he got the Bayern job, but he’s about as proven as JN was when he got the Leipzig job.

Last edited:
Reactions: maclean

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad