Managements worst slaps in Face to star players

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Gillis shutting down Malhotra.

I don't doubt that Gillis had Malhotra's best interest at heart and these are difficult decisions but Malhotra obviously disagreed and went on to play a few more seasons (granted Malhotra's vision did reportedly get better). There's no doubt that Malhotra's vision was compromised and players are going to play until they can't. Reminds me of Gretzky saying he knew that it was time to retire when another player told him that he let up on hitting him and Gretzky didn't even see him coming.

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
For what the Nucks offered it comes down who is telling the story. Oilers had Ranford and Fuhr still and Fuhr was still the number 1 goalie. I saw one story a few years ago where we offered Pederson and Bradley and picks for Gretz. I love and miss the Griffiths family running the team but they could not come up with the cold hard cash because they were honest business people

I think it would have never happened anyway, Gretzky controlled where he wanted to go.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
I have never completely bought the argument that Gretzky said no to Vancouver because he was called in the middle of the night. It's actually a pretty weak reason. At very least it means he hadn't yet fully made up his mind. I think the team's position is completely plausible, that WG was using the Vancouver offer to get a better deal from NY. I think it's a reasonable position to take that he was always going to sign in NY.
In the end, I don't think we will ever fully know.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
I have never completely bought the argument that Gretzky said no to Vancouver because he was called in the middle of the night. It's actually a pretty weak reason. At very least it means he hadn't yet fully made up his mind. I think the team's position is completely plausible, that WG was using the Vancouver offer to get a better deal from NY. I think it's a reasonable position to take that he was always going to sign in NY.
In the end, I don't think we will ever fully know.
I have said it here many times before, but I don't believe for a second that Gretzky was ever genuine about signing in Vancouver. I didn't believe it then, and nothing has happened to make me think otherwise.

LuckyDay

Mar 25, 2011
The Uncanny Valley
For what the Nucks offered it comes down who is telling the story. Oilers had Ranford and Fuhr still and Fuhr was still the number 1 goalie. I saw one story a few years ago where we offered Pederson and Bradley and picks for Gretz. I love and miss the Griffiths family running the team but they could not come up with the cold hard cash because they were honest business people
Arthur Griffiths Sr belongs in this thread for

Getting rid of Gary Smith for Cesar Maniago because of something stupid said at a party. Canucks would never be above .500 again for years.

Firing Roger Neilson then not paying him the rest of his contract which he sued to get back.

Though he was right to not re-sign Krutov, Vlad was owed the rest of his $750k which he refused to pay him. "Tank" not only sued and got his money, he forced Quinn and Burke to fly Switzerland to testify about it.

For not re-signing Igor after he played in Switzerland a year to save Griffiths $1m in transfer fees.

For refusing to tank the bad Canucks teams for better draft picks when other teams were already doing it. The one time Harry Neale wanted to tank to get Wendel Clark, Griffiths refused.

For perma-benching Petri Skriko, the teams most consistent scorer three years in a row, for wanting more money then making him practice with the team in spite of that. This was emotionally draining for Streaker and the rest of the team, including his new linemate Trevor Linden, and was an example of the worst kind of owner interference.

Its all a matter of being cheap in general. He didn't care about the teams performance as long as he was making money - and as long as they made the first round of the playoffs he made bank.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

Getting rid of Gary Smith for Cesar Maniago because of something stupid said at a party. Canucks would never be above .500 again for years.

Firing Roger Neilson then not paying him the rest of his contract which he sued to get back.

Though he was right to not re-sign Krutov, Vlad was owed the rest of his $750k which he refused to pay him. "Tank" not only sued and got his money, he forced Quinn and Burke to fly Switzerland to testify about it.

For not re-signing Igor after he played in Switzerland a year to save Griffiths $1m in transfer fees.

For refusing to tank the bad Canucks teams for better draft picks when other teams were already doing it. The one time Harry Neale wanted to tank to get Wendel Clark, Griffiths refused.

For perma-benching Petri Skriko, the teams most consistent scorer three years in a row, for wanting more money then making him practice with the team in spite of that. This was emotionally draining for Streaker and the rest of the team, including his new linemate Trevor Linden, and was an example of the worst kind of owner interference.

Its all a matter of being cheap in general. He didn't care about the teams performance as long as he was making money - and as long as they made the first round of the playoffs he made bank.

To be fair, given Jr. lost all his money, maybe cheap was the way to go. :sarcasm:

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...

Canucks management had ZERO to do with Larionov not re-signing. He didn't sign with *ANY* other NHL team but played in Europe because the Professor refused to give a chunk of his salary to the Soviet authorities (as per their agreement between the two hockey organizations). At least that's my understanding of the events. Now one can question them not trying harder to get him back after that "sabbatical".

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
Not a 'star', but Tanev was one of the best Canucks Dmen ever, and still a player that was never replaced. Didn't even get a phone call. Went on to have another decade of contracts with 2 rivals. Puke.

Reactions: PavelBure10

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Not a 'star', but Tanev was one of the best Canucks Dmen ever, and still a player that was never replaced. Didn't even get a phone call. Went on to have another decade of contracts with 2 rivals. Puke.

Not quite accurate. Tanev did get an offer but it was too late in Tanev’s mind. Also, Leafs aren’t a rival unless every other team is a rival.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Messier taking C from Linden
Luongo sitting on the bench for the winter classic

For me these are the two most disrespectful moves by management/coaching and I don't think it's close. Both Linden and Luongo were undisputed leaders on their teams and both were marginalized by coaches that thought the best way to manage players was to play mind games with them.

Reactions: Caspian

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Not sure who was more hated in the lower mainland in the late 90's: Mark Messier or Bindy Johal.
Also, Torts 1 year ass water coaching in Vancouver was a farce as he never gave his all. Purposely tanked it to collect checks and walk with his dog in Point Roberts.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Not sure who was more hated in the lower mainland in the late 90's: Mark Messier or Bindy Johal.
Also, Torts 1 year ass water coaching in Vancouver was a farce as he never gave his all. Purposely tanked it to collect checks and walk with his dog in Point Roberts.

wow that is not a name i have thought about in 25 years

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Flyers trading Richards and Carter before their NTC kicked in.

Before that, I'm not sure there were similar examples where a star player signed a long term extension only to be traded just before the extension (and full NTC) kicked in.

If there was more collusion a team could have done (almost) a sign and trade where an acquiring team bargains to have the trading team sign the player to an extension and peddling the NTC in exchange for a lower cap hit and the acquiring team ends up getting the player at a lower cap hit with no NTC.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Before that, I'm not sure there were similar examples where a star player signed a long term extension only to be traded just before the extension (and full NTC) kicked in.

Definitely not before but JT Miller is another example.

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
Not quite accurate. Tanev did get an offer but it was too late in Tanev’s mind. Also, Leafs aren’t a rival unless every other team is a rival.

Ofcoarse it was too late. Jim Benning was so enamored with acquiring OEL "The year before he actually was" that he left Chris Tanev on the back burner. Benning only came back when it was fairly evident that his OEL plans backfired. If I were Tanev I would of told Jim Benning to go "Pound sand" too. Benning was absolutely horrible with asset management.

Reactions: wetcoast

Warh1ppy

Feb 14, 2018
Roger Neilson comes to mind for sure. That was some grim stuff.

Having Rypien suffering through depression and then kicking him to the curb (RIP and yes I know this one isn't fair but he was apparently in counselling prior to being released and signing in Winnipeg and that being dropped didn't help his struggles) which resulted in the creation of the mental health program and assistance we see since 2013

The myriad prospects we were developing that were rumoured to be ignored when speaking about injuries (IE, Hodgson's back)

Stripping Linden of the gd C and giving it to Messier only to essentially dismantle what was a solid team to build around Messier over the next few seasons.

Hard to top what happened in Chicago though with Bowman et al though

Reactions: PavelBure10

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Flyers trading Richards and Carter before their NTC kicked in.

If there was more collusion a team could have done (almost) a sign and trade where an acquiring team bargains to have the trading team sign the player to an extension and peddling the NTC in exchange for a lower cap hit and the acquiring team ends up getting the player at a lower cap hit with no NTC.

Both Carter and Richards had ‘bumps’ issues and lived the life of a hockey player.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
For me these are the two most disrespectful moves by management/coaching and I don't think it's close. Both Linden and Luongo were undisputed leaders on their teams and both were marginalized by coaches that thought the best way to manage players was to play mind games with them.
Either way Linden was a replacement level player on ice and did nothing to prove the coaches wrong or indeed even just earn his ice time.

LemonSauceD

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
There's a lot of negligent, criminal management stories, but if we are talking star players -

I think Dean Lombardi is a colossal piece of shit. When he was rumored to be in the running for a Canucks' executive position, I was so pissed and worried he'd end up with this team, and I think the stars he didn't. For why I think he's a colossal piece of shit, I need to give some background to the Slava Voynov situation. Voynov was a defensemen the Kings held in high esteem, except he was then accused of assaulting his wife in a horrific case of domestic violence, where many of the details were readily available to read. It was horrid. Voynov ultimately plead no contest to a charge of corporal injury to a spouse, was suspended for a year by the NHL, and never played in the league again.

However, during this suspension, this didn't stop Lombardi and his LA Kings from trying to sneak him into their practice facilities to continue skating and being with the team. He was a full participant in practice until the league got wind of it, and the league fined the Kings $100,000.00. (chump change in the grand scheme of things, but at least sticking to the guns of their suspension).

As for how this relates to a star player, let's compare Lombardi's reaction and treatment of a man who plead no contest to beating his wife, to his treatment of Mike Richards. Mike Richards was arrested at the Canadian border for being in possession of Oxycodone without a prescription on June 17th. In this case, Dean Lombardi reacted swiftly, terminating Mike Richards' contract on June 29th - just 12 days later. There was no sneaking Richards into practice facilities, and no attempts to work with the player at all. Why? Because Richards was on a bad contract. His play had deteriorated and Lombardi, scumbag that he is, pounced on the opportunity to terminate it and then went public with a bunch of crocodile tears talking about how he was "played" by Mike Richards, and that what had become of him was a "tragedy".

But the tragedy he refers to isn't even one of a person who may or may not have been dealing with substance abuse issues, but rather talking about his decline in play. He then went on to say that Richards should be held accountable for his actions, and that he was in a destructive spiral. A far cry from his actions on Voynov.

And the kicker, to me, is that Richards' charges were stayed by the courts in Manitoba. He returned to the NHL with the Washington Capitals the following season.

TL; DR - Dean Lombardi was just fine with retaining a wife beating asshole and sneaking him into practice facilities because he was a young player on a good contract. On the flip side, when a respected veteran got caught up in trouble, he waited a matter of days before kicking him to the curb, publicly eviscerating him, and crying the victim.

f*** that guy.
I also kind of find it odd Austin Watson and Casey DeSmith were both able to just resume playing despite both beating their spouses/girlfriend up and were arrested and charged. I mean you could argue a case for proportionality, but like, the underlying thing here is domestic assault.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Either way Linden was a replacement level player on ice and did nothing to prove the coaches wrong or indeed even just earn his ice time.
He was certainly beginning his offensive decline after peaking a year or so earlier. He was still a 20g/40p over 82 games guy, which he pretty much maintained for the next 8 years. Replacement level is more than a stretch.

But that's kinda beside the point. He was still THE leader of that team. Naslund would emerge a couple of years later.
Bottom line is you don't take a C off of the player unless it's something egregious. If you want to change leadership you make a trade (see Horvat). To give the C to the anointed one who hadn't yet (and never would) earned the respect of his teammates just added insult to injury.

Keenan's primary objective and strategy was to embarrass Linden. It was a jerk move by any standard.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad