Management Thread | Regular Season Edition

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Jack Burton

Pro Tank Since 13
Oct 27, 2016
Pork Chop Express
giphy.gif

Jack Burton

Pro Tank Since 13
Oct 27, 2016
Pork Chop Express
Ya I'm frustrated. So disappointed that management jumped the gun on Hronek & Myers by signing them early and not waiting till after July 1st. Seeing guys like Pesce go for 5.5 aav , Zadorov for 5 aav, Dillon @ 4 aav, Tanev for 4.5 aav, hell, even the Slavin extension @ 6.4 aav is exactly where all these players should be with their term and this management missed out because of those early signings and not having that extra 10 mill. incase they had to sweeten the pot by a little bit. We could have completely revamped the D-core with some pretty solid caliber defencemen but nope. We get the likes of guys like Desharnais & Forbort :facepalm:

And who the Hell is going to play with Pettersson on a regular basis to get his sorry ass going because i can assure you all it ain't going to be Debrusk.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
Ya I'm frustrated. So disappointed that management jumped the gun on Hronek & Myers by signing them early and not waiting till after July 1st. Seeing guys like Pesce go for 5.5 aav , Zadorov for 5 aav, Dillon @ 4 aav, Tanev for 4.5 aav, hell, even the Slavin extension @ 6.4 aav is exactly where all these players should be with their term and this management missed out because of those early signings and not having that extra 10 mill. incase they had to sweeten the pot by a little bit. We could have completely revamped the D-core with some pretty solid caliber defencemen but nope. We get the likes of guys like Desharnais & Forbort :facepalm:

And who the Hell is going to play with Pettersson on a regular basis to get his sorry ass going because i can assure you all it ain't going to be Debrusk.

All those D-men you mentioned got overpaid with a lot of term, save for Slavin who obviously took a hometown discount.

Yes they are also better players than the ones we signed, but I don't know if the value is there.

I was hoping for better than Forbort and Desharnais but I'm glad we didn't give out any stupid contracts.

Let's just hope the pro scouting pays off on some of these guys like it did for several players last season.

ForecheckBackcheck

Nov 2, 2019
Wonder if there is a belief by management that some of our prospects (i.e. Willander) could challenge for a spot on the blue line out of camp... because I do not love the look of this Defence going into the new season.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
That or they have another move coming.
iMac said they are not done

It’s going to be DeBrusk

Which is actually a good idea

Debrusk is an Edmonton native, which means he is guarantee to score on them

Reactions: AlainVigneaultsGum

Vancouver_2010

Canucks and Oilers fan
Jun 21, 2006

to be honest with you, even though i am disappointed like you are, but there is no way i would pay Tanve 4.5 million dollars for 6 years! i think i would be more disappointed if we went that way.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
I think management has shown patience at times but you do get the sense they tend to make unforced errors by misreading the market.

The Mikheyev signing was one where they felt immense pressure to improve team speed speed and the PK, except the offensive output part was overlooked. Contract was 1.5-2mil too high.

They jumped the gun on the Lindholm trade and blasted away their assets. It became obvious at the deadline that they may have overpaid a fair bit.

Think management had option A, B and C lined up but ultimately the demand factor was too much and many big fish went to their preferred markets. You have to think pouncing on #6 and #7 D guys was due to the pressure of missing out on the better blueliners.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby

My man, do not despair. I think our management has done some good work even under intense scrutiny and pressure in the past seasons. While I'm also not entirely thrilled about much of the new acquisitions made, I think we can keep an open mind and see how things will unfold. Remember, last season we were not expected to be anything more than 7-8th seed team who was suppose to be trounced in round 1.

And this is coming from me who was losing a lot of hope for our management because I thought in the beginning they were chirping and derping with nothing to back it up.

Reactions: Jack Burton

Jack Burton

Pro Tank Since 13
Oct 27, 2016
Pork Chop Express
All those D-men you mentioned got overpaid with a lot of term, save for Slavin who obviously took a hometown discount.

Yes they are also better players than the ones we signed, but I don't know if the value is there.

I was hoping for better than Forbort and Desharnais but I'm glad we didn't give out any stupid contracts.

Let's just hope the pro scouting pays off on some of these guys like it did for several players last season.
Ya no.

They all got exactly what they deserved aav and term wise. The only term that is out to lunch is the Tanev deal and that's because Treliving is trying to do his best Jim Benning impression.

The value is there because they are all sold D-men. Even if their offence dries up over time or it just doesn't work out in their new homes, it will be no problem to move them @ the TDL to a contender or during the off season when teams revamp themself.

There is a big difference with how I felt last year at this time than I do today. I was VERY happy with the signings last year, this year not so much but I am optimistic as we still have the rest of the summer and training camp/pre season for management to round out the roster to start the season.

The bottom line is this, We got our once in a decade "Miracle" season this year and we all better pray to the Hockey Gods for a repeat because after that 1st pairing of Hughes & Hronek, our mobility and puck moving has taken a hit. Come January when things start to ramp up and the forecheck starts to increase, we are going to witness a sh*t load of pucks off off the glass as zone exits. That is going to seriously frustrate the forward group & coaching staff.

Last edited:

Jack Burton

Pro Tank Since 13
Oct 27, 2016
Pork Chop Express
My man, do not despair. I think our management has done some good work even under intense scrutiny and pressure in the past seasons. While I'm also not entirely thrilled about much of the new acquisitions made, I think we can keep an open mind and see how things will unfold. Remember, last season we were not expected to be anything more than 7-8th seed team who was suppose to be trounced in round 1.

And this is coming from me who was losing a lot of hope for our management because I thought in the beginning they were chirping and derping with nothing to back it up.

Ya I do have faith in this management but as @SeawaterOnIce alluded to in the above post and I tend to agree with him, this management team is misreading things and unforced errors are occurring.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Ya I do have faith in this management but as @SeawaterOnIce alluded to in the above post and I tend to agree with him, this management team is misreading things and unforced errors are occurring.

After the Reign of Error, I'm just in the sit back and let the ride take me wherever the hell it wants mode. Reserving my stress tolerating capacity for work~.

Don't worry too much, it's not worth it.

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
These guys tried to trade Miller last year, and offered Lindholm a monster extension. 2 disasters avoided only because other teams/players turned them down.

Alvin seems all over the place. We haven't had a signing or trade that wasn't reversed, or reportedly attempted to be, within 1 season. Hell Lindholm was almost flipped after 5 minutes of being here.

Getting strong Gillis vibes. He never knew when, or how to push the chips in. After all the talk of a long term window, he just ended up making moves that dissolved the core prematurely.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Wonder if there is a belief by management that some of our prospects (i.e. Willander) could challenge for a spot on the blue line out of camp... because I do not love the look of this Defence going into the new season.

That's not even possible. Willander won't even be at camp because he's not signed.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
These guys tried to trade Miller last year, and offered Lindholm a monster extension. 2 disasters avoided only because other teams/players turned them down.

Alvin seems all over the place. We haven't had a signing or trade that wasn't reversed, or reportedly attempted to be, within 1 season. Hell Lindholm was almost flipped after 5 minutes of being here.

Getting strong Gillis vibes. He never knew when, or how to push the chips in. After all the talk of a long term window, he just ended up making moves that dissolved the core prematurely.

Scathing...

I too am getting strong Gillis vibes from this management team... but in a good way.

There is a methodology at play. I'm able to follow it. For example: The Kuzmenko re-signing made sense. Eventually keeping Miller made sense. Not moving Boeser and Garland were the right calls. etc... And even when I disagree with what they've done, like choosing a quick re-tool over a longer re-tool, they execute well enough to make it work. That's all you can really ask from mid-good management.

Lindholm was brought in as Pettersson insurance, nothing more. They tried to re-sign him to a team friendly deal to keep a valued asset in house. One that isn't necessarily the best fit for the team too. This shows a type of intelligence that most GMs simply do not have.

No GM is going to be perfect, and I'm still pissed they didn't trade a pick for Guentzel's rights, but we're in good hands. Don't worry.

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015
I'm a little underwhelmed with the moves today.

We're essentially being asked to put a lot of faith into our pro scouting and I'm not sure that with the Canucks being taken seriously next season and things going a bit kismet for us, that it's going to play out again.

Really disappointed that we missed out on Zadorov, and him and Lindholm both walking is pretty painful.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad