World Cup: Make the 4 nations to 8 nations

Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeyFan029

Mar 29, 2022
They don't want international players though.

What about an 8 team tourney.

1. Canada
2. USA
3. Sweden
4. Finland
5. Quebec
6. Team Europe
7. Czechoslovakia
8. Canada B

Or 6 teams.

1. Canada
2. USA
3. Sweden
4. Finland
5. Quebec
6. Team Europe (including Czechs and Slovaks)

Last edited:

hockeyFan029

Mar 29, 2022
They don't want international players though.

What about an 8 team tourney.

1. Canada
2. USA
3. Sweden
4. Finland
5. Quebec
6. Team Europe
7. Czechoslovakia
8. Canada B

Or 6 teams.

1. Canada
2. USA
3. Sweden
4. Finland
5. Quebec
6. Team Europe (including Czechs and Slovaks)

hockeyFan029

Mar 29, 2022
It pisses me off... I wont lie. Even with no euros... Czechs are 2 AHL players shy of a full NHL roster... Svozil and Spacek. That's it.

Cervus can stay home and we still have a great forward group. We still have an all NHL roster.. and who knows, maybe 3 of Kral, hovorka, svozil, jiricek and spacek are full time by February. If not.. they are all in AHL.
Should just do Team Czechoslovakia for the tournament.

garbageteam

Jan 7, 2010
Scrap the tournament immediately if that happens. I'd rather have a Canada USA series than any more fake team garbage.

If you can make any fake teams you want, why not team 40 goal scorer vs team 1000 PIMs

Reactions: EK47

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
I think since they don't want international players, Switzerland just doesn't have enough NHL players. I don't know if Czechs have enough if including their AHL group, they might have. 5 team tournament is little unbalanced.

Tbh, its feels to me like an exhibition tournament before the real tournament (Olympics). But I'm excited af to see best-on-best Finnish team on the ice after all these years.

Reactions: Czechboy

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Should just do Team Czechoslovakia for the tournament.
Just let us play Kral, Svozil and Jiricek. They are all in North America. That's it.

Gudas Jiricek
Rutta Hronek
Kral Svozil
Hovorka

OR, since it is NHL and not IIHF sanctioned.. Ludvig and Xhekaj are both Czech citizenship.

Gudas Jiricek
Rutta Hronek
Ludviz Xhekaj

All NHL top 6.

RBbandit

Jan 4, 2020
Scrap the tournament immediately if that happens. I'd rather have a Canada USA series than any more fake team garbage.

If you can make any fake teams you want, why not team 40 goal scorer vs team 1000 PIMs
Fake team aka "rest of Europe" do not have fans. In Europe, fans cheer for National teams. So no team Czechoslovakia, please. We separated frickin 30 years ago. I would much prefer old-style Canada Cup or World Cup tournaments. But if it's not possible then rather nothing than fake teams. From the NA perspective, the Canada-USA series would make much more sense.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I think the WCs this year prove that you can have a team made up of a blend of NHLers and non-NHLers and not only be competitive but medal caliber. We should get an eight nation Corld Cup of Hockey, not another gimmick:

* Canada
* U.S.
* Sweden
* Finland
* Switzerland
* Czecha
* Slovakia
* Germany

Even without Russia this would be compelling.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Give the czechs the Finnish spot. They can fill out with AHLers or prospects who play in the CHL.

Czechia had at least 12 forwards who were pretty much NHL regulars this gone season, five defensemen and one goalie who played one game. Not optimal, but North Americans are crazy about junior players.

BMacLeafs

Feb 20, 2022
Czechs and the Swiss must be angry. They should have our spot. The games today clearly showed they are better.

The WC isn't best on best, so wat happened today means nothing

Oh thats why they do this.
To take away from the winter olympics tournament to have people watch them and not the olympic tournament.
Should have just allowed their players to join instead of behaving like sore losers.

Don't u remember 2018? The corrupt IOC and feckless IIHF asked 4 2 many unrealistic demans of the NHL 2 guarantee participation. The NHL showed them what's up.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Give the czechs the Finnish spot. They can fill out with AHLers or prospects who play in the CHL.

Czechia had at least 12 forwards who were pretty much NHL regulars this gone season, five defensemen and one goalie who played one game. Not optimal, but North Americans are crazy about junior players.
I hate to be repritive.. we are 2 AHL players or Ludvig/Xhekaj away from a full NHL team. That's it.

Take your pick.. Kral, Spacek and Svozil or Ludvig/Xhekaj.

Drives me nuts. 8 NHL goalies. Easily 12 NHL forwards.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
I just don't understand why czech players don't make the NHL.
That's easy.. not good enough. No controversy at all. We are in a dark decade and have a big gap between our 28 year olds and 18 year olds.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
That's easy.. not good enough. No controversy at all. We are in a dark decade and have a big gap between our 28 year olds and 18 year olds.
That's not it. Some amazing Czech players like Dopita and Cajanek got their shots way too late. NHL teams do not trust the Czech league.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
That's not it. Some amazing Czech players like Dopita and Cajanek got their shots way too late. NHL teams do not trust the Czech league.
I don't blame them. We have to make change like Finland did (which I think we have). The Finn U20 drought was almost as bad as ours and then gold after gold and first rounder after first rounder. You guys are a blueprint.

I do feel the last few drafts left a few very good Czechs undrafted which may be a bit of a 'Czechs suck' hangover.. Spacek, Becher, Melovsky come to mind. Or Svozil to round 3. But then you have Kaut, Zboril, Hajek and Zadina all in the top 40 and busting out.

Our problem and we need to fix it.

Lenny Levino

May 15, 2024
Russia should be in it. It's so weird that Russia isn't allowed to play. But 6 teams is enough:

Canada, US, Sweden, Finland, Russia, Czechia.

• Wow
Reactions: mattihp

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Finland and Sweden won't participate if Russia is in, simple as that.
Or the Czechs.

TBH though.. it'd make a hell of a tourney though.. Russia, US and Canda. Call it the Bettman Cup. It'd be great hockey and I hear Michkov is coming to the NHL

Reactions: Summer Rose

MichaelFarrell

Aug 29, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
I understand Russia not being represented in international competitions organized by the IIHF, but the NHL has Russian players on their teams!

Some of these players play huge roles on NHL teams and deserve to be represented. This tournament will literally be missing several of the NHL’s top players.

Finland and Sweden won't participate if Russia is in, simple as that.
That makes no sense for this tournament though, Shesterkin and Panarin play on the same team as Zibanejad and Kakko. Lundell and Forsling play on the same team as Bobrovsky. It’s madness.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad