Prospect Info: Mads Sogaard, Goaltender, 37th Overall

The Waffler

Smartest Man-Child on HF
Jul 10, 2009
Planet Earth
He’s still young. I’m not saying he’s gonna be a great NHL starter but he’s still got time to figure out how to be a regular. I can think of a couple guys in just the past few years that we’ve given up on to have pretty successful years elsewhere. Daccord, Dregier, Gustavsson etc. there’s so many goalies that only figure it out in their late 20s.

Goalies are voodoo, man. He’s got time.

Reactions: Ralph Malfredsson

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
He's had opportunities and will probably have more, but I think the clock is ticking on him. He needs to find another gear at the NHL level.

He started the season as a 22 y/o, clock ticks older for goalies than skaters.

Yes he'll need to figure it out at the NHL level but he has started being good at the AHL level at least. I need to see him on a team that doesn't EXPOSE goalies, that can defend at a NHL level, something we just started learning how to.

As for many subjects, the Dorion/DJ effect is quickly dismissed.

Our goaltending issues forced us to play him before he was ready in a really poor environment, and imo that's coloured opinions on him.

This. Not considering this is forgetting about the DJ Dorion stink.

Lol I dont remember many people singing Gus the buses' praise not all that long ago either. Had a bad year this year, but looked like a stud last year. We gave up on Lehner when he was about 23yrs old too...

This needs a gigantic asterisk... Lehner had severe off-ice issues...

Last edited:

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
1728937519904.gif

Reactions: DrEasy and gab6511

BoardsofCanada

Aug 26, 2009
G.T.A.
Sogaard looked terrified in net. It's like he was frozen from fear. This game really changed my opinion of him. I thought he had a good chance to be a back up at the NHL level (and maybe even a starter). I don't think so anymore.

The Sens should probably just send him back to Europe and eventually cut ties. You can't have someone like that in net; it will destroy the team confidence. That said, the team did rally for him this afternoon and pulled out a gutsy win.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Dorions goalie of the future.

Different future planned here now. Sogaard can go catch a slice with Pierre.

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
Dorions goalie of the future.

Different future planned here now. Sogaard can go catch a slice with Pierre.

Some prospects just don't work out. It happens.

But ideally you then cut bait and move on, not sign them to one way deals.

Emerica

May 29, 2010
At this point i don’t know if he’ll ever catch up to the speed of the NHL. He seems a step slow on every play/shot.

He’s obviously not confident in himself at this level and it absolutely shows every time he’s out there.

Sensrule

Aug 30, 2007
I'm willing to give him one more actual start. Not making excuses for him, but the last minute call-up then getting put in, in an afternoon game has to be tough. He wasn't impressive in the slightest today though. How has he looked in Belleville?

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
At this point i don’t know if he’ll ever catch up to the speed of the NHL. He seems a step slow on every play/shot.

He’s obviously not confident in himself at this level and it absolutely shows every time he’s out there.
'
It happens sometimes and a prospect is just not able to move on to the next stage and be successful. Maybe he peaked early, maybe he will eventually breakout, it happens much later sometimes for goalie.

Keep him in the AHL this year, give him the season and see where he takes his game to, he needs more time. Problem is the way next year, might not work out if he's still not ready

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
There were gazillion goalies on waivers, and we could have easily cleared Forsberg and his salary through waivers to build goalie depth and never have to see Sogaard in our nets again. We would have even increased our cap room this way!

NHL
Ullmark
Bussi/Patera/Tokarski/anyone but Forsberg or Sogaard

AHL
Forsberg (fine as the third string goalie at best until proven otherwise)
Merilainen (closest thing to a goalie prospect we have)

BCHL
Sogaard
etc.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad