Mackinnon, Marner, Ekblad?

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Marner>MacKinnon>Crazy concussion history.

Marner as a rookie, battling Mono, outscored MacKinnon's last 3 seasons, and out paced MacKinnon's rookie year.

The more I think about it, the more this is easily Marner.

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
MacKinnon because of position and personal preference. But it's pretty close to a coin flip between him and Marner.

Ekblad can't be in the running just because of the injury history.

Conspiracy Theorist

Jan 30, 2016
Not a winger in this case. Center or defenseman.

Laine-Barkov-Puljujarvi
Tolvanen-MacKinnon-Rantanen

Went with Mackinnon.

Last edited:

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Marner and Mackinnon would be very close if Mac didnt play on one of the worst non expansion teams in NHL history.

If Nylander gets shifted to C next year and marner gets to ride shotgun to matthews.....watch out. unfortunately he will likely have to carry his own line again this year

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I really hope Ekblad gets and stays healthy - I think he can be a great Dman in this league for a long time, but man those concussions are concerning.

I guess Marner>MacK>Ekblad, although I'm tempted to put Ekblad first because I think if he stays healthy he'll be the best of them by a good stretch, it's just such a big if.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Marner has the highest potential to be a true gamebreaking talent so him. The other guys are valuable but I don't think they'll be able to dominate the same way. If Ekblad didn't have the health concerns it might be different

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
went Marner because he was the best last season, but feels like polling this right now is a little unfair to MacKinnon due to the circumstances he's playing in, he may well be as good or better than Marner if the situations were reversed

Ekblad is just scary with the concussions, would be awful to have an asset of that value evaporate into nothing with one hit

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
MacK has a bad situation and hasn't really lived up to his potential yet.

You can't vote Ekblad simply because he's had how many concussions? A handful of them within a very short time-frame. That is serious stuff. There are pro athletes in this sport and other sports that have had to retire secondary to post-concussion issues. This is on top of a guy who was paid for his upside more than anything. I'm not implying he can't become the #1D that everyone foresaw....I'm simply saying the risk is too much to put him in any poll right now.

Marner- I think he has another level to his game we haven't seen yet. It may be optimistic he reaches it. The way his type of game is, he should have a ceiling of a lot more than 60 points.

Foppa

Future Norris Winner
Feb 27, 2002
Kansas City, USA
I'm not so sure that Marner gets the edge in pure, hypothetical upside. MacK at his best though is an unstoppable freight train out there and Ekblad at his best is a dominant defender. None of them has come close to topping out, it's just a matter of who has the right situation, health and luck to maximize their talents.

Now in terms of intelligence and vision, Marner's the pick of the three and I can see why that would lead to some confidence in his future performance returns. He's just a smarter player than the other two - who are more physical specimens.

I definitely homer voted but you can make a case for all of them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad