Value of: Mackenzie Weegar or Rasmus Andersson? Who would you trade for and what and/or who would you give up from your team?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Ledge And Dairy

Don’t see Lambert being available…especially after the McGroarty fiasco.
I’d say the likely prospect unavailable list would be (Perfetti), Yager, Lambert, and Salomonsson…with Perfetti being contingent on him signing…..everyone else would and should be an option, including Perfetti if it doesn’t appear like a deal can get done in the teams desired range
If that's your unavailable list you probably have to lower your expectations on who you can get

Reactions: Guitpik

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I'd love to see Weeger or Andersson on the Oilers and the 2 teams have dealt with each other before so it's not a stretch ! Other than Sam O'Reilly, Raphael Lavoie, Matt Savoie, Roby Jarventie or Max Wanner in the Oilers system, along with draft picks, do the Oilers have much else to offer for 1 of these guys? :dunno:
Andersson isnt going to get insane value. The Oilers definitely have to assets if Calgary wants to deal with us

The more I look into Weegar the more I think that's the special one that would take huge assets to get. His 6.25 is a better deal than Andersson's 4.5 imo, just because you are getting a top pairing guy for 4 years. Andersson isn't a rental but it's only 2 years at a bargain. Weegar is the better player too

Imo the target for us is Andersson. Also I'd think Calgary will keep Weegar and that Andersson is the one truly for sale. But if Bowman wants to wow me he'd get creative and trade for Weegar somehow, and secure our defense even past McDavid's extension

Last edited:
Reactions: ManByng

goach

Jun 30, 2013
I'd be interested in an Anderson or weegar plus Coleman for Power as a base. Maybe add Krebs+ then whatever to equal out.

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
Andersson isnt going to get insane value. The Oilers definitely have to assets if Calgary wants to deal with us

lol wrong on both accounts. Andersson should return terrific value and the Oilers definitely don't have the assets. Pretty much every other team in the league could put a better proposal together if they wanted too.

But regardless, Calgary definitely isn't going to do the Oilers any favors, just like last deadline.

Reactions: Nanuuk

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
lol wrong on both accounts. Andersson should return terrific value and the Oilers definitely don't have the assets. Pretty much every other team in the league could put a better proposal together if they wanted too.

But regardless, Calgary definitely isn't going to do the Oilers any favors, just like last deadline.
Last deadline Tanev was the best D available and returned a 2nd and decent prospect. Andersson is worth more but they are in a similar tier, being high end 2nd pair RD.

And that deadline isn't proof that the Flames won't deal with the Oilers. The Oilers offered a 1st but also insisted the Flames take Ceci. The Flames likely just didn't want Ceci's 2 year deal.

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
Last deadline Tanev was the best D available and returned a 2nd and decent prospect. Andersson is worth more but they are in a similar tier, being high end 2nd pair RD.

And that deadline isn't proof that the Flames won't deal with the Oilers. The Oilers offered a 1st but also insisted the Flames take Ceci. The Flames likely just didn't want Ceci's 2 year deal.

Andersson isn’t a clear #1 but he’s definitely a top pairing RHD. Easily a top 50 defenseman in the league

2 years with his cap hit and he’ll command a lot more than Tanev

Ledge And Dairy

Andersson is a 1st pair defenseman. He's a low end #1 and high end #2.

And no Hanifin was far and away the best defenseman available, the difference though is Andersson isn't a rental so he absolutely carries more value

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Andersson is a 1st pair defenseman. He's a low end #1 and high end #2.

And no Hanifin was far and away the best defenseman available, the difference though is Andersson isn't a rental so he absolutely carries more value
You may know better than me about Andersson but when I look into it I see him as top pairing but not on a good team.

Hockey writers have him as a #3

This Flames blog likes him but sees issues as well. Rasmus Andersson had himself a real rough season defensively in 2023-24

So what's the justification of him as top pairing?

And I'm not saying he won't get great assets back. I'm just saying that I don't see the Oilers as not having the assets it would take. We have 1sts. We have some good prospects.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
You may know better than me about Andersson but when I look into it I see him as top pairing but not on a good team.

This Flames blog likes him but sees issues as well. Rasmus Andersson had himself a real rough season defensively in 2023-24

And I'm not saying he won't get great assets back. I'm just saying that I don't see the Oilers as not having the assets it would take. We have 1sts. We have some good prospects.
Andersson is a bit of a unique player. He performs as a legit #1 for stretches and then looks like an average middle pairing guy for stretches. Not sure why.

I do think Weegar is the better player overall, but because of consistency. Rasmus is elite at times and pedestrian at other times. He had a bad year last season, no debating it. But a bad year for him is still a solid top 4 guy.

The contract is where his value lies. He should be 7M+ and makes 4.5. Weegar only plays about 1M over his contract. Rasmus is 3M over it.

Both guys would be pretty attractive to me because like Hanifin they both add at both ends of the ice and can play in all situations. Rasmus had a bad year defensively last season, but was elite defensively the prior 2.

Ledge And Dairy

He definitely had a rough season, but outside of Markstrom and a couple others the whole team had a rough season. There were reports that he was still had lingering issues from the car crash in Detroit though. The year prior he was great defensively but Markstrom played horrible. I would expect a bounce back from him this season (especially if they pair him and Weegar together).

His ATOI is very clearly that of a #1. He plays both PP and PK, and though he isn't amazing defensively he is generally not a liability.

Tbh I don't think he makes a lot of sense for Edmonton, he's a very comparable player to Bouchard which would make him fairly redundant. If I was the Oilers I would target someone more defensive like Murphy. Bowman knows him too so it's a logical target. If you can get Chicago to retain on him like they did with McCabe he would be great value at 2.2M

Thechozen1

Sep 8, 2021
I’d deal Heinola and Chibrikov for Andersson.

Losing Chibrikov would suck as I think he’s vastly underrated as far as Jets prospects go, but you have to give to get.

Ideally dealing for Andersson a year from now when he’s eligible to talk extension would be best. Jets would need assurances that he would re-sign with them long term.

• Haha
Reactions: JUSTGIROUXIT

Ledge And Dairy

Losing Chibrikov would suck as I think he’s vastly underrated as far as Jets prospects go, but you have to give to get.

Ideally dealing for Andersson a year from now when he’s eligible to talk extension would be best. Jets would need assurances that he would re-sign with them long term.
Neither of those prospects are appealing targets for Andersson. LD who isn't waiver eligible and isn't an NHLer, and another small winger prospect

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
He definitely had a rough season, but outside of Markstrom and a couple others the whole team had a rough season. There were reports that he was still had lingering issues from the car crash in Detroit though. The year prior he was great defensively but Markstrom played horrible. I would expect a bounce back from him this season (especially if they pair him and Weegar together).

His ATOI is very clearly that of a #1. He plays both PP and PK, and though he isn't amazing defensively he is generally not a liability.

Tbh I don't think he makes a lot of sense for Edmonton, he's a very comparable player to Bouchard which would make him fairly redundant. If I was the Oilers I would target someone more defensive like Murphy. Bowman knows him too so it's a logical target. If you can get Chicago to retain on him like they did with McCabe he would be great value at 2.2M
Our problem is that Nurse's game has fallen apart at the most important times. Some of us think that Nurse is just bad now and needs to go. People like me think the problem is that we don't give him a real top 4 guy to play with. He did well with a younger Barrie, and he's had Ceci since then, or LD that don't play well on the right. I don't see Andersson as redundant because we just need two top 4 RD in the worst way. If Andersson is equal or better than Bouchard then all the better. I see him as similar to the Ekholm add, but with Ekholm being a bit better. Both players can suffer with too many minutes, or otherwise being used like #1 elite

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011

I'm sure you would. Heinola doesn't have any value and Chibrikov while talented doesn't play a lick in his own end and wouldn't fit the system there or in Calgary. He's not good enough to be one dimensional.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Lekkerimaki, Tucker Poolman, 1st and 2nd for Andersson.
Seems like a lot. I'd do it of course, just is quite a bit. Lekkerimaki is a pretty high end prospect IMO. He's the only Canucks prospect I think has a high floor and high ceiling. Then adding in the 1st and 2nd makes it kind of a no brainer.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
No this is not true, rebuilds work best when you surround your young players with veterans to take the pressure off. Other than the Pens and Black Hawks I can not really think of a tear it all down approach actually works. Can you get lucky? Yes but its more than just drafting top 5 and hoping it works out, its creating a culture, hiring the right coach, look at the Sens and Sabers as an example of now how not to do a rebuild.
A rebuilding team trades everybody they can, including veterans. They can acquire the support players you mention via free agency and waivers. You don't do a team or a market any favours by holding people off the trade market. They've all gotta go if the rebuild is going to be done in a timely, effective manner. Every pick and player counts. When you need to gut your house you have to take everything down to the studs and start over - if you want to do it properly. There are rebuilds that have been based on solid theory and practice. There have been serious failures - like the needlessly endless Edmonton rebuild. The Oilers screwed things up royally, for example, when they gathered a pile of draft picks early in their rebuild and then threw them away in dumb trades.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
I feel like the flames always have great d I want on my Oil. How the heck did they not win more with their d cores and markstrom?

Last year I wanted tanev. This year I want Weegar. In the playoffs I wanted zadorov as he really hated us lol.

However. I don't see what the oilers could offer up to get Weegar. Our prospects are tiers below and our roster is older guys. I cannot think of anything near 6 million to go the other way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad