Value of: Mackenzie Weegar or Rasmus Andersson? Who would you trade for and what and/or who would you give up from your team?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
Some fans, maybe most, expect Andersson to be traded either this year or next summer. I also think that if the right offer comes along Weegar could be available too.. assuming that Weegar accepts a trade.
Both are top pairing dmen and belong to that exclusive club of right hand shots. Both can play either side.
Andersson is 27 with 2 years left on a $4.55m AAV contract. Weegar is 30 with 7 years left on $6.25m AAV contract.
With the available Cap space that the Flames have they could probably work with anybody to take back a reasonable short term contract or two in order to make room for either player. I don't expect the Flames would be willing to retain salary but maybe I'm wrong.
I have to assume a blue chip center prospect would be the most attractive trade target for the Flames.
I don't ever recall Rasmus playing LD during his tenure here. And has always been listed as a right shot RD.

Of the two players mentioned, Weegar is better in my view. That may be because he has two more years of experience under his belt.

I am a firm believer that defencemen don't hit their stride until age 28.

So Andersson may yet have some upside and surpass Weegar as a d-man.

Of the two players I believe Andersson might be the guy to be traded. Very good contract for term and cap. Younger yet able to step in and mentor kids and be a part of a younger group.

While Calgary covets a centre or centre prospect I think they very much want a 1st round pick and a high one at that.

This would limit destinations for Andersson to another rebuilding team destined to finish way down in the standings. Since those team are trying to accomplish what Calgary is I'd cross them off the list.

Now, Montreal is a head of the curve in terms of their re-build. And they own Calgary's 2025 1st round pick. And they seem to need some wiggle room cap wise.

I could see Andersson going to Montreal for Calgary's 1st and a roster player that Montreal isn't overly keen on keeping. Say, Anderson.

Montreal will still have a first and ten other picks in the first round. They would gain ~1M of cap space per year for two years.

Calgary does have a lot of wingers though. Anderson might block a Pelletier or a Coronato, but he would be udner contract for 3 more years. Calgary could look to move Mantha at the TDL and Anderson would be an immediate replacement.

Young wingers wouldn't be blocked for long.

Moving Andersson also relieves some pressure in the organization as they have a few d-men ready to graduate from the AHL.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
@Nanuuk Calgary's 2025 1st rnd pick is top 10 protected. I believe that when Calgary finishes in the bottom 10 of league 2024-25 standings, Mtl will get the 1st rnd pick that we acquired from Florida instead. I expect the Florida pick will be very late in the 1st rnd. I'm quite happy to give Mtl the Florida pick. Therefore I really don't see any incentive to reacquire our conditional 2025 1st rnd pick from Mtl.
Correct me if I'm wrong?

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
@Nanuuk Calgary's 2025 1st rnd pick is top 10 protected. I believe that when Calgary finishes in the bottom 10 of league 2024-25 standings, Mtl will get the 1st rnd pick that we acquired from Florida instead. I expect the Florida pick will be very late in the 1st rnd. I'm quite happy to give Mtl the Florida pick. Therefore I really don't see any incentive to reacquire our conditional 2025 1st rnd pick from Mtl.
Correct me if I'm wrong?
Seems correct.

Habs only get a good deal right now if both Florida (very likely) and Calgary finish outside the top 10, then Montreal gets the better pick, but if one is top 10 (if anyone it's Calgary), Montreal gets the other pick.

If both finish top(bottom?) 10 somehow, Montreal gets Calgary's '26 1st unprotected.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Some fans, maybe most, expect Andersson to be traded either this year or next summer.
Is there any indication from a reliable media insider or someone from the Flames organization that the Flames are considering or interested in moving Weegar or Andersson?

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Is there any indication from a reliable media insider or someone from the Flames organization that the Flames are considering or interested in moving Weegar or Andersson?

Fast fwd to 2:15 of the Pagnotta video..

Last edited:

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013

Fast fwd to 2:15 of the Pagnotta video..

Thanks for the reply and the info. I do see words like “Flames are listening” and use of the word “maybe” a few times. But, I was curious if there was anything out there about what the Flames wanted to do.

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
Correct me if I'm wrong?
Thanks for the info. I'd still be all in to acquire one of those picks or seconds. Montreal is sitting on a shipload and I can't see them parting with any of their young stars.

Not that I'm hugely on board in acquiring a 5.5M 20 point winger, but if we could get some high picks to go along with it, it might be worth it.

Deadly Dogma

All I have is substantially vapid opinions
Sponsor
May 3, 2016
From the Leafs, I would for sure be interested if Tanev and or OEL get hurt but the deal would be tricky to make and if our biggest trade chip in Cowan has a strong camp management may see him as a blue-chip piece they refuse to move.

sensfan4lifee

May 21, 2024
That's right. Everybody should be up for grabs if the deal is right.

Rebuilds work best when a team rips the band-aid off and trades as many players as possible as soon as possible. They also work best when all of the accumulated picks are kept and used to build up the prospect pool.

Conroy has lots of young players to fill out the roster (not all rebuilding organizations have what he has) and he can always sign free agents and make waiver claims to fill in the blanks.
No this is not true, rebuilds work best when you surround your young players with veterans to take the pressure off. Other than the Pens and Black Hawks I can not really think of a tear it all down approach actually works. Can you get lucky? Yes but its more than just drafting top 5 and hoping it works out, its creating a culture, hiring the right coach, look at the Sens and Sabers as an example of now how not to do a rebuild.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Thanks for the info. I'd still be all in to acquire one of those picks or seconds. Montreal is sitting on a shipload and I can't see them parting with any of their young stars.

Not that I'm hugely on board in acquiring a 5.5M 20 point winger, but if we could get some high picks to go along with it, it might be worth it.
I think Mtl would be a great team to deal with but I would ask for their 1st rnd pick... not ours because chances are very strong that we won't have to give them ours. By taking back our conditional 1st we would be getting something back that we wouldn't have given away anyways... which would have MTL fans laughing their heads off.

Reactions: Nanuuk

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Thanks for the reply and the info. I do see words like “Flames are listening” and use of the word “maybe” a few times. But, I was curious if there was anything out there about what the Flames wanted to do.
Like most things in life, it all depends.The Flames don't have a gun to their head to make a deal so if nobody offers anything close to what they consider fair, they won't. In the Flames case, it's a seller's market. They need to sell a lot less than some teams need to buy.

Reactions: HoweHullOrr

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
No this is not true, rebuilds work best when you surround your young players with veterans to take the pressure off. Other than the Pens and Black Hawks I can not really think of a tear it all down approach actually works. Can you get lucky? Yes but its more than just drafting top 5 and hoping it works out, its creating a culture, hiring the right coach, look at the Sens and Sabers as an example of now how not to do a rebuild.
There are plenty of veterans on the team... Huberdeau, Coleman, Backlund, Weegar, Kadri, Lomberg, Andersson. IMO trading one of those won't make a huge difference particularly when you consider trading any of those vets will most likely involve taking back a veteran player to make room cap wise for the team you are dealing with. The Flames also have plenty of available cap space to sign any available Ufa vet that they want if they feel the need to improve the veteran presence in the locker room.

Last edited:

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Isn't Minten projected to be a middle 6 fwd? I think we can do better.

He's projected to be a C with size and good boots. Flames center pipeline is not good, and hasn't been good in a very long time. Teams just don't trade players that are projecting top line very often, and trade top line center prospects even less.

Plus there's a 1st in that guy's proposal and a cost controlled RFA RHD. I dunno wouldn't be over the moon thrilled but that seems like a quality package for a guy like Ras who will be looking for a big raise in 2026.

ManByng

Oilers cup 2025
Aug 4, 2009
Reykjavik, Iceland
I'd love to see Weeger or Andersson on the Oilers and the 2 teams have dealt with each other before so it's not a stretch ! Other than Sam O'Reilly, Raphael Lavoie, Matt Savoie, Roby Jarventie or Max Wanner in the Oilers system, along with draft picks, do the Oilers have much else to offer for 1 of these guys? :dunno:

Ledge And Dairy

Seems correct.

Habs only get a good deal right now if both Florida (very likely) and Calgary finish outside the top 10, then Montreal gets the better pick, but if one is top 10 (if anyone it's Calgary), Montreal gets the other pick.

If both finish top(bottom?) 10 somehow, Montreal gets Calgary's '26 1st unprotected.
Not quite, if both finish top 10 then Calgary doesn't get Florida's 1st and Montreal get's Calgary's pick unless it's 1st OA. If it is 1st OA it then transfer's to a 2026 unprotected 1st.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I'd love to see Weeger or Andersson on the Oilers and the 2 teams have dealt with each other before so it's not a stretch ! Other than Sam O'Reilly, Raphael Lavoie, Matt Savoie, Roby Jarventie or Max Wanner in the Oilers system, along with draft picks, do the Oilers have much else to offer for 1 of these guys? :dunno:
I think a Savoie plus a first and a 2nd would do it. However, in order to make room for Andersson or Weegar we would have to take one or two other Oilers players that you would be willing to give up.. which is basically a cap dump and that would cost you an extra pick or picks.. unless you can Ltir Kane at the time of the trade and be sure he doesn't come back before season end.
The only thing that bothers me is what does Buffalo know about Savoie that I don't. From all appearances Buffalo ended up with the short end of the stick in that trade. Something just smells fishy... unless the Buffalo GM was drunk when he made the trade.

Ledge And Dairy

Isn't Minten projected to be a middle 6 fwd? I think we can do better.
He does, but it's not realistic to expect teams to make top line talents available. I think Minten could develop into a good long term Backlund replacement. He's got a fantastic compete level and a solid 2-way game. He definitely needs to work on his skating though. I wouldn't do Weegar for that but I could see that being a base deal for Andersson.

ManByng

Oilers cup 2025
Aug 4, 2009
Reykjavik, Iceland
I think a Savoie plus a first and a 2nd would do it. However, in order to make room for Andersson or Weegar we would have to take one or two other Oilers players that you would be willing to give up.. which is basically a cap dump and that would cost you an extra pick or picks.. unless you can Ltir Kane at the time of the trade and be sure he doesn't come back before season end.
The only thing that bothers me is what does Buffalo know about Savoie that I don't. From all appearances Buffalo ended up with the short end of the stick in that trade. Something just smells fishy... unless the Buffalo GM was drunk when he made the trade.
Not saying either are bad players but that's way too much for Weeger. I get that every trade talk with other teams will likely start with Savoie as many teams would like to get their hands on him but I doubt he'll be traded. Because of the term and the cost, in order for the Flames to get a haul like that they'd have to contribute a significant amount of Cap relief and take a contract back in order for this to work! Weeger's in his prime and productive and can play defense but as his contract is now we'd couldn't afford him. Just my opinion!

Ledge And Dairy

Not saying either are bad players but that's way too much for Weeger. I get that every trade talk with other teams will likely start with Savoie as many teams would like to get their hands on him but I doubt he'll be traded. Because of the term and the cost, in order for the Flames to get a haul like that they'd have to contribute a significant amount of Cap relief and take a contract back in order for this to work! Weeger's in his prime and productive and can play defense but as his contract is now we'd couldn't afford him. Just my opinion!
Calgary has to hit the cap floor so I view any potential Weegar trade including money back in as a given. As for the cost, that would definitely be the base ask.

No idea if Lucius is still an asset the Flames would be interested in but I’m sure we could find a common ground
He needs to prove he can stay healthy first. I would be targeting Lambert from a Flames perspective though

CanMerc

#FIRECHEVY
Dec 7, 2023
Calgary has to hit the cap floor so I view any potential Weegar trade including money back in as a given. As for the cost, that would definitely be the base ask.

He needs to prove he can stay healthy first. I would be targeting Lambert from a Flames perspective though
Don’t see Lambert being available…especially after the McGroarty fiasco.
I’d say the likely prospect unavailable list would be (Perfetti), Yager, Lambert, and Salomonsson…with Perfetti being contingent on him signing…..everyone else would and should be an option, including Perfetti if it doesn’t appear like a deal can get done in the teams desired range

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad