Value of: Mackenzie Weegar or Rasmus Andersson? Who would you trade for and what and/or who would you give up from your team?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Some fans, maybe most, expect Andersson to be traded either this year or next summer. I also think that if the right offer comes along Weegar could be available too.. assuming that Weegar accepts a trade.
Both are top pairing dmen and belong to that exclusive club of right hand shots. Both can play either side.
Andersson is 27 with 2 years left on a $4.55m AAV contract. Weegar is 30 with 7 years left on $6.25m AAV contract.
With the available Cap space that the Flames have they could probably work with anybody to take back a reasonable short term contract or two in order to make room for either player. I don't expect the Flames would be willing to retain salary but maybe I'm wrong.
I have to assume a blue chip center prospect would be the most attractive trade target for the Flames.

Last edited:

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Zero chance Weegar is traded imo. I assume Andersson will be given a generous contract next summer, iffy if he signs it.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Zero chance Weegar is traded imo. I assume Andersson will be given a generous contract next summer, iffy if he signs it.
I have to think that with the on going rebuild nobody 27 or older is untouchable. If everything goes well, this team likely won't be competitive for at least 5 years. In order to do that the Flames will need all the blue chip picks and prospects it can amass. If a Weegar trade can significantly contribute to that pool... I say go for it.

Reactions: Leafshater67

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
I have to think that with the on going rebuild nobody 27 or older is untouchable. 7
That's right. Everybody should be up for grabs if the deal is right.

Rebuilds work best when a team rips the band-aid off and trades as many players as possible as soon as possible. They also work best when all of the accumulated picks are kept and used to build up the prospect pool.

Conroy has lots of young players to fill out the roster (not all rebuilding organizations have what he has) and he can always sign free agents and make waiver claims to fill in the blanks.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
2026 1st round pick
Matthew Savoie
Brett Kulak (for cap purposes )

For

Rasmus Andersson

Feels like fair value.

But I don’t think the Flames trade him to Edmonton for fair value.

Oilers would also need to find a 3LD for near league min.

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
Rumor is Andersson might want out. Most of his friends have left and he wants to win. Flames can't afford to trade both him and Weegar; that's not at all helpful to Wolf's development. And you need at least some veteran defencemen to stick around to help with the development of the next wave (i.e. Parekh, Brzustewicz, Morin, Mews, Grushnikov). Otherwise you risk falling into the Sabres/Oilers model where promising young defencemen are thrown to wolves with zero veteran support and struggle as a result.

But I don’t think the Flames trade him to Edmonton
All that needed to be said. It's never going to happen.

Reactions: Bye Bye Blueston

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Rumor is Andersson might want out. Most of his friends have left and he wants to win. Flames can't afford to trade both him and Weegar; that's not at all helpful to Wolf's development. And you need at least some veteran defencemen to stick around to help with the development of the next wave (i.e. Parekh, Brzustewicz, Morin, Mews, Grushnikov). Otherwise you risk falling into the Sabres/Oilers model where promising young defencemen are thrown to wolves with zero veteran support and struggle as a result.

All that needed to be said. It's never going to happen.
With Andersson gone, and I would bet money that he will be, I don't think having the sole veteran of Weegar on the defence will make much difference.
Also, Weegar just had a remarkable year. His trade value may most likely never be higher. Need a veteran dman to hold the youngsters hands? Sign an older UFA. There are always some available at a relatively cheap price.

Reactions: byrath

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
Andersson would be my preference. Not sure what a fair package is. Calgary seems to want young roster pieces but then also future picks. That seems to be the trend anyway.

So I guess I’d start out a combo package with something like Matias Maccelli, Victor Soderstrom and an unprotected 2025 Utah 1st? Feels somewhat comparable to the Sergachev package.

Last edited:

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
When they traded Tkatchuk for Huberdeau and Weager…… They should have traded them both for draft picks and prospects… The two of them traded separately would have gained a higher yield than Tkatchuk would have alone…

Instead they thought they could have contended.and didn’t cash out before their value dropped.

Backlund

Dec 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
Andersson would be my preference. Not sure what a fair package is. Calgary seems to want young roster pieces but then also future picks. That seems to be the trend anyway.

So I guess I’d start out a combo package with something like Matias Maccelli, Victor Soderstrom and an unprotected 2025 Utah 1st?

Tij Iginla

• Haha
Reactions: thefutures and rt

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
We all know it will be the Rangers some how.

Schneider + Sykora/Emery + 1st/2nd + capdump for cap reasons.

or something.

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
With Andersson gone, and I would bet money that he will be, I don't think having the sole veteran of Weegar on the defence will make much difference.
Also, Weegar just had a remarkable year. His trade value may most likely never be higher. Need a veteran dman to hold the youngsters hands? Sign an older UFA. There are always some available at a relatively cheap price.
Virtual guarantee that unless Weegar asks for a trade, or some teams absolutely blows Conroy's socks off with an offer, he won't be moved. Ditto for Andersson albeit also if he refuses to sign an extension next summer.

It's been said time and time again that Conroy isn't doing a full tear down.

So I guess I’d start out a combo package with something like Matias Maccelli, Victor Soderstrom and an unprotected 2025 Utah 1st?

Flames don't need anymore more wingers (unless it's Tij Iginla) or project defencemen. They need centers so I'd want Beaudoin since they already traded Geekie. Flames would probably target Hayton (and Tij Iginla) though. Probably why Utah isn't the best fit.

Bjornar Moxnes

Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
I'd want a 1st rounder And an A tier centre prospect or a cost controlled younger centre for Andersson. So something like Buffalo's 1st and Ostlund sort of deal.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
I'd want a 1st rounder And an A tier centre prospect or a cost controlled younger centre for Andersson. So something like Buffalo's 1st and Ostlund sort of deal.
Buffalo 2025 1st
Östlund
Cliffton (throw in for roster balance)

I'd be willing to upgrade Cliffton to Jokiharju and throw in a 2nd or Rosén as well.

Reactions: Bjornar Moxnes

leafsfan2point0

Jun 8, 2011
If the leafs were interested I could see their offer being something like this:

Leafs 2026 1st
Minten
Liljegren

Probably gets beat but whatever.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
Virtual guarantee that unless Weegar asks for a trade, or some teams absolutely blows Conroy's socks off with an offer, he won't be moved. Ditto for Andersson albeit also if he refuses to sign an extension next summer.

It's been said time and time again that Conroy isn't doing a full tear down.

Flames don't need anymore more wingers (unless it's Tij Iginla) or project defencemen. They need centers so I'd want Beaudoin since they already traded Geekie. Flames would probably target Hayton (and Tij Iginla) though. Probably why Utah isn't the best fit.
Makes sense. Utah just moved Geekie, so they’re not going to go the Hayton/Beaudoin route. Will just have to roll with Sergachev and Durzi and Marino and eventually Simashev and hope a couple of them really step up.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
If weaver Had 2 years left if term what you said would BG r true. He has as a bunch more yrs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad