Value of: Mackenzie Blackwood

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Last spring, Devils fans were gutted over losing Fabian Zetterlund, who was a guy we really liked. After 5-10 games, Sharks fans were telling us how he sucks and was a waiver-level player and a waste of an asset.

Now he's San Jose's leading goal scorer (more goals than Timo Meier!) and 2nd leading point producer.

It's almost like making snap judgments about a player in small sample sizes doesn't tell you the full picture, and perhaps you shouldn't be hasty to dismiss the opinions of people who have seen far more than you?

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
Last spring, Devils fans were gutted over losing Fabian Zetterlund, who was a guy we really liked. After 5-10 games, Sharks fans were telling us how he sucks and was a waiver-level player and a waste of an asset.

Now he's San Jose's leading goal scorer (more goals than Timo Meier!) and 2nd leading point producer.

It's almost like making snap judgments about a player in small sample sizes doesn't tell you the full picture, and perhaps you shouldn't be hasty to dismiss the opinions of people who have seen far more than you?

Not jumping in the Blackwood bandwagon yet because it is a small sample size.

However, the bolded is quite ironic lol. First, being the 2nd leading scorer on this sharks team is not the accomplishment you think it is. Secondly, it’s only been a little more than 10 games

Reactions: Gecklund

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
We've seen Blackwood at his highest form in the 19-20 but yes go on on gatekeep and tell us about Blackwood's play. He'll have a game or two where he'll look fantastic and then games where he can't stop a beach ball. Look at the Devils game v Seattle in early February last year and then the last Caps game of the year where he lost his job to Akira Schmid and arguably saved the Devils season because Blackwood is not winning the Rangers series.
Look at literally every single Sharks game this year.

Aren’t you making a snap judgement about Zetterlund this season?

Campbell++ to SJ for Blackwood makes sense.
Maybe for Edmonton. Not for SJ. Only way we take Campbell is if you take Vlasic.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
His 10 games with the Sharks > his 4-5 years with the Devils, ok lol. Did the same thing with Zetterlund so I shouldn't expect less from your fanbase
You mean the 10 games that Zetterlund has played where he’s leaching off of Eklund and Hertl? Man I thought we got rid of devils fans when we made the Timo trade.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Look at literally every single Sharks game this year.

Aren’t you making a snap judgement about Zetterlund this season?

Maybe for Edmonton. Not for SJ. Only way we take Campbell is if you take Vlasic.
Devils fans judged Zetterlund based on being our AHL affiliate's leading scorer, having a strong call-up in 2022, and then forcing his way on to a really good roster in 2023 over more established prospects like Alex Holtz and performing quite well.

His entire body of work as a prospect and NHL player suggests he's a quality middle-6 winger. It's obvious that his debut in San Jose is an outlier when compared to the rest of his career, and Zetterlund himself has recently talked about how hard the trade was on him personally.

Yet Sharks fans were eager to dump on him because they were salty they didn't get Simon Nemec or Dawson Mercer, who they somehow convinced themselves they would get despite no historical precedent for that caliber of prospect being moved for a rental.

Same thing is happening now, but in reverse. You have a guy whose best trait is that he's not James Reimer or Kaapo Kahkonen, and all of a sudden he's a legitimate #1 after 10 games despite YEARS of evidence to the contrary.

Again - if he's standing on his head consistently between now and March, I will happily eat crow at the end of the year. But we've seen Blackwood look like a superhero in losses before. We've made excuses about how his numbers are actually much better than they look before. We've seen him refuse to accept responsibility, throw his teammates under the bus, and turn into a locker room malcontent before. But if you want to pretend everything is peaches and rainbows, go ahead, I can't stop you. Just consider yourself warned.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Devils fans judged Zetterlund based on being our AHL affiliate's leading scorer, having a strong call-up in 2022, and then forcing his way on to a really good roster in 2023 over more established prospects like Alex Holtz and performing quite well.

His entire body of work as a prospect and NHL player suggests he's a quality middle-6 winger. It's obvious that his debut in San Jose is an outlier when compared to the rest of his career, and Zetterlund himself has recently talked about how hard the trade was on him personally.

Yet Sharks fans were eager to dump on him because they were salty they didn't get Simon Nemec or Dawson Mercer, who they somehow convinced themselves they would get despite no historical precedent for that caliber of prospect being moved for a rental.

Same thing is happening now, but in reverse. You have a guy whose best trait is that he's not James Reimer or Kaapo Kahkonen, and all of a sudden he's a legitimate #1 after 10 games despite YEARS of evidence to the contrary.

Again - if he's standing on his head consistently between now and March, I will happily eat crow at the end of the year. But we've seen Blackwood look like a superhero in losses before. We've made excuses about how his numbers are actually much better than they look before. We've seen him refuse to accept responsibility, throw his teammates under the bus, and turn into a locker room malcontent before. But if you want to pretend everything is peaches and rainbows, go ahead, I can't stop you. Just consider yourself warned.
You understand that Reimer was pretty damn good for us right?

Man you keep making these big assumptions. Again Blackwood has been good for us. Really f***ing good. We aren’t moving him right now. Get over it. I don’t understand why it matters to devils fans. He’s not on your team anymore. Why does it matter to you anymore? Why are yall so obsessed with your former players? Get over it. They left.

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
I've always had a soft spot for Blackwood, and I hope he continues to do well in SJ.
I also know that we've seen this level of play from him before, and I just hope he can sustain it, something he was never able to do in NJ.

As for value, an NHL GM isn't likely to overpay for such a small sample size so maybe he gets a 3rd, but even that's a stretch right now. Hold on to him and hope he continues this level of play and his value will increase.

Reactions: DJN21

Church Hill

I'd drink it
Nov 16, 2007
I've always had a soft spot for Blackwood, and I hope he continues to do well in SJ.
I also know that we've seen this level of play from him before, and I just hope he can sustain it, something he was never able to do in NJ.

As for value, an NHL GM isn't likely to overpay for such a small sample size so maybe he gets a 3rd, but even that's a stretch right now. Hold on to him and hope he continues this level of play and his value will increase.

I agree about the sample size. I think it doesn't make sense from the Sharks' perspectives to trade him now, either, even for a "decent" return. It would be too demoralizing to the locker room. Any Blackwood trade would happen closer to the deadline, allowing for continued solid play and no injuries. Next season is also a possibility.

Reactions: HugeInTheShire

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
You’re acting like he’s a Make-a-wish recipient who wouldn’t know how to tie his own laces if it wasn’t for YouTube. He’s more than held his own and has perhaps been the most consistent forward throughout the 12 games.
What the f*** is this? Can’t argue a point without taking personal shots? Real good arguing man. Love it.

He absolutely hasn’t been our most consistent forward. He had 4 points before being placed with those 2. He was passable. Acting like he was anything good is revisionist history at its finest.

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
I think Devils fans might be more willing to believe Blackwood could pull his conspiracy filled head out of his ass long enough to revive his career if he hadn't spent several years sucking and then blaming the organization for his own failures.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
What the f*** is this? Can’t argue a point without taking personal shots? Real good arguing man. Love it.

He absolutely hasn’t been our most consistent forward. He had 4 points before being placed with those 2. He was passable. Acting like he was anything good is revisionist history at its finest.
Personal shots?

llamanby

Mar 19, 2006

The 4 points he had before being placed with those 2 was good enough for 2nd in scoring on this team so lets not pretend he was just passable. Hertl led the team in scoring, Eklund seemed to bring the most skill and energy. Zetterlund was probably next on the list of energy and provided the 2nd most results in terms of points on the team. He started the season with Hertl and Duclair and got moved down to 3rd/4th and was attached to Sturm for awhile.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
The 4 points he had before being placed with those 2 was good enough for 2nd in scoring on this team so lets not pretend he was just passable. Hertl led the team in scoring, Eklund seemed to bring the most skill and energy. Zetterlund was probably next on the list of energy and provided the 2nd most results in terms of points on the team. He started the season with Hertl and Duclair and got moved down to 3rd/4th and was attached to Sturm for awhile.
Are you saying Zetterlund started the season with Hertl and Duclair? Cause that’s just not true. Hertl’s wingers were Hoffman and Zadina to start. Duclair was with Barabanov and Bordeleau. Then Zadina got pulled from Hertl’s line and Duclair moved up.

Being 2nd on the team in scoring would be an accomplishment if it wasn’t 4 points. Zetterlund was passable. Mostly invisible but had moments he stood out. Zetterlund is the third wheel on that Hertl and Eklund line and it’s astounding that people think he’s not.

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta

I think it was actually that they thought at the time that Zetterlund was the bigger piece of the trade and not Muk. I believe that thinking has reversed though after Muks great play in the AHL late last season and how he looked in camp.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad