LW/RW Denis Gurianov (2015, 12th, DAL)

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017

Another very solid game for Gurianov. Stars lost obviously but he had some really nice rushes and several scoring chances. Just needs that finishing touch to his game that really the entire team needs right now cause no one can score goals (other than his 2 goals last game of course, but I'd like to see him score one on his forehand)

Such a fun player to watch though when the puck gets on his stick and he's headed up the ice. This is from before his most recent 2 games, which have probably been the best of his career, so highlights from those aren't included obviously

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
2 more goals tonight as his confidence continues to grow. Primary assist last night as well. He had like 4 breakaways/half breakaways tonight in the 2nd period alone

Penalty shot goal:

PP goal:

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
I'm really glad to see him do well. I worried he might bust for a while there but he's more and more starting to look like the player I fell in love with at the U18's.

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
Hintz and Gurianov is the speed duo no one knew they wanted. They were fantastic today. The funny thing was seeing Pavs on that line because he's not the fastest (though he is unfairly criticized as I think his speed and skating are fine), but hey it's working. These are some great examples of... prospects take time... and you just have to build them up the right way. Nill is quietly shoving all of those terrible draft/prospect comments back in peoples faces. Dallas is slowly but surely converting on a lot of these picks... and we shouldn't have been surprised, he's totally just doing the old Red Wings model of development in which he came from. Can't wait to see what they end up doing with more lost toys in their prospect pool.

Merci Saku

Sep 9, 2006
Longueuil, Québec
Hintz and Gurianov is the speed duo no one knew they wanted. They were fantastic today. The funny thing was seeing Pavs on that line because he's not the fastest (though he is unfairly criticized as I think his speed and skating are fine), but hey it's working. These are some great examples of... prospects take time... and you just have to build them up the right way. Nill is quietly shoving all of those terrible draft/prospect comments back in peoples faces. Dallas is slowly but surely converting on a lot of these picks... and we shouldn't have been surprised, he's totally just doing the old Red Wings model of development in which he came from. Can't wait to see what they end up doing with more lost toys in their prospect pool.
I agree,

You could also see Gurianov progression in the AHL,

Some gets to the nhl fast but it’s not a race to the top, some has to gradually get there

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
If Virtanen can score, why Gurianov can't? They both are so talented hockey tools wise. Still, I think, they aren't very smart players, and if their physical form or conditions get somehow damaged, they will turn into pylons. Jamie Benn is infinitely more talented, and look at him now.

Last edited:

serp

Jan 17, 2016
He finally took some shots on net again. For the last few games he seemed to want to force even the most difficult of passes instead of trying to score himself.

brakeyawself

Oct 5, 2006
He finally took some shots on net again. For the last few games he seemed to want to force even the most difficult of passes instead of trying to score himself.

Is that the cause of his scoring lull? I had finally though he was on the verge of a breakout and that Stars were using him appropriately. But that didn’t last very long.

Is he still getting good opportunity? Reviews of this kid are all over the place. His ceiling was thought to be sky high. He passes the eye test when I e gotten to see him play. He’s kind of a mystery to me. Definitely a kid I thought would be first line material someday, or at worst top 6. Does he still look like that kind of player?

Reactions: bigbabybuda

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Is that the cause of his scoring lull? I had finally though he was on the verge of a breakout and that Stars were using him appropriately. But that didn’t last very long.

Is he still getting good opportunity? Reviews of this kid are all over the place. His ceiling was thought to be sky high. He passes the eye test when I e gotten to see him play. He’s kind of a mystery to me. Definitely a kid I thought would be first line material someday, or at worst top 6. Does he still look like that kind of player?

He's allways been playing on good lines throughout he just didn't convert for a couple of games. Alot of times he would fly by a defender only to pass it to nowhere for some reason instead of shooting himself. In general he's still somewhat inconsistent . They changed up lines last game ( he was with Pavelski for the last few games and neither did anything for 7-8 ish games ) . Last game with Perry and Dickinson he and his line in general looked pretty dangerous again. We'll have to see.

Last edited:
Reactions: brakeyawself

Hull Fan

The Future is Now
Mar 21, 2007
Arlington, TX
I think he's going to repeat the Hintz trajectory. A guy soaking up minutes looking pretty decent at times but not producing much till the lightbulb turns on out of nowhere and the production finally matches the ridiculous amounts of scoring chances he creates with that speed. I don't think he's ever going to be amazing but 2nd line winger seems pretty doable. Just don't expect too much till he plays 40+ games in a row where some of the yips and the speed of thought of the game has slowed down for him.

I also agree that he needs to shoot more. He's a volume shooter with a tremendous wrist shot he should take more advantage of. Right now he seems to defer too much. With time you hope one of the coaches or a veteran like Pavs or Perry tells him to shoot more because it's probably his second best tool.

bigbabybuda

Feb 19, 2014
Canada
His wrist shot has always looked really, really good to me. Once he just builds confidence and starts firing shots instead of deferring he's gonna put a lot of pucks in the net. I see him as being a 30 goal scorer easily in next couple years as long as he just doesn't get down on himself.

brakeyawself

Oct 5, 2006
I think he's going to repeat the Hintz trajectory. A guy soaking up minutes looking pretty decent at times but not producing much till the lightbulb turns on out of nowhere and the production finally matches the ridiculous amounts of scoring chances he creates with that speed. I don't think he's ever going to be amazing but 2nd line winger seems pretty doable. Just don't expect too much till he plays 40+ games in a row where some of the yips and the speed of thought of the game has slowed down for him.

I also agree that he needs to shoot more. He's a volume shooter with a tremendous wrist shot he should take more advantage of. Right now he seems to defer too much. With time you hope one of the coaches or a veteran like Pavs or Perry tells him to shoot more because it's probably his second best tool.

If he’s been deferring and not getting assists does that mean he’s not much of a playmaker? Or that his linemates have been bad finishers? Or perhaps both?

Definitely don’t want to overhype him. He looks tome like he could end up being anything from a 1st line player to 3rd line player depending on conditions and progress. 30-40 goal ceiling seems about right as far as his ceiling. Although I also thought he’d eventually chip in anywhere from 30 to 40 assists. Ultimately that would make him anywhere from a 60 to PPG player. Of course less likely he reaches that ultimate potential and more likely to end up somewhere in the middle.

I guess it is true that power forwards usually take longer to mature. Had thought with his speed that might get expedited. But he’s still on a decent track towards becoming a top 6.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
If he’s been deferring and not getting assists does that mean he’s not much of a playmaker? Or that his linemates have been bad finishers? Or perhaps both?

Definitely don’t want to overhype him. He looks tome like he could end up being anything from a 1st line player to 3rd line player depending on conditions and progress. 30-40 goal ceiling seems about right as far as his ceiling. Although I also thought he’d eventually chip in anywhere from 30 to 40 assists. Ultimately that would make him anywhere from a 60 to PPG player. Of course less likely he reaches that ultimate potential and more likely to end up somewhere in the middle.

I guess it is true that power forwards usually take longer to mature. Had thought with his speed that might get expedited. But he’s still on a decent track towards becoming a top 6.

Needs to slow down mentally on some of his passes (and in most areas of the game, his mind is trying to go as fast as he skates and it doesn't always work out), but he's had some gorgeous feeds to his linemates who have missed wide open nets at times. Should have probably several more assists right now but the Stars struggle to finish as a team so that's not the case.

I mean just look at Roope Hintz for example. One of the better passing forwards we have on the team and yet he only has 2 assists somehow. Crazy. No coincidence though the guys they're often setting up are Benn and Pavelski who have struggled to finish all season long

brakeyawself

Oct 5, 2006
Needs to slow down mentally on some of his passes (and in most areas of the game, his mind is trying to go as fast as he skates and it doesn't always work out), but he's had some gorgeous feeds to his linemates who have missed wide open nets at times. Should have probably several more assists right now but the Stars struggle to finish as a team so that's not the case.

I mean just look at Roope Hintz for example. One of the better passing forwards we have on the team and yet he only has 2 assists somehow. Crazy. No coincidence though the guys they're often setting up are Benn and Pavelski who have struggled to finish all season long

Makes a lot of sense. His speed is legit. Once he learns how to utilize that speed without over relying on it, it should lead to better production. Think Barzal kind of had similar issues at times, but he seems to have corrected much faster. Radulov looks like he might be entering the downslope of his career.
To me, Gurianov seems like the most obvious and best suited replacement. Possibly the same is happening with Benn, although I think Benn has a better chance to return to form given his age.

But yea, it wouldn’t surprise me to see Gurianov breakout if and when he takes on more responsibility. Which, given how Radulov has looked, could be as early as next season or 2 seasons from now the latest.

I thought Dickinson was also showing promise, but ideally he looks like a high end 3rd line option ultimately.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Makes a lot of sense. His speed is legit. Once he learns how to utilize that speed without over relying on it, it should lead to better production. Think Barzal kind of had similar issues at times, but he seems to have corrected much faster. Radulov looks like he might be entering the downslope of his career.
To me, Gurianov seems like the most obvious and best suited replacement. Possibly the same is happening with Benn, although I think Benn has a better chance to return to form given his age.

But yea, it wouldn’t surprise me to see Gurianov breakout if and when he takes on more responsibility. Which, given how Radulov has looked, could be as early as next season or 2 seasons from now the latest.

I thought Dickinson was also showing promise, but ideally he looks like a high end 3rd line option ultimately.

Radulov is an interesting case. He's just taking wayyy too many dumb penalties but hopefully his scratch snaps him out of that. Other than that he's been fine and is still better than Benn

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
There is still more upside there. He is still relying more on superior physical tools rather then hockey IQ. Hopefully, experience will improve the latter.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad