LW/RW Denis Gurianov (2015, 12th, DAL)

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
If he keeps this up, maybe people stop crapping on Dallas for picking him Before Barzal and Connor (well I Think Dallas still would love Barzal to center behind Seguin)
I love Guri and he is pretty close to the exact player we need right now but he has a long way to go before people stop reminding us how we missed on Connor and Barzal. Those 2 arent hindsight picks, they looked like studs at the draft and damn near every single stars fan that bothers to follow prospects wanted one or the other.

Im happy Guri is turning into a NHLer and look like he can be a top 6 guy but we still missed out on 2 easy choices who have been much better for longer

JohnLennon

Mar 26, 2011
Wonder how that top 6 looks when Spezza is back. Do we think it'll be Benn-Seguin-Radu and Nuke-Spezza-Guri? Or better yet, stick Guri back onto the top line with Benn and Seguin and let them build chemistry. That would be a treat to watch. Either way, that could be a really nice top 6.

oconnor9sean

Mar 3, 2013
DFW
Wonder how that top 6 looks when Spezza is back. Do we think it'll be Benn-Seguin-Radu and Nuke-Spezza-Guri? Or better yet, stick Guri back onto the top line with Benn and Seguin and let them build chemistry. That would be a treat to watch. Either way, that could be a really nice top 6.

I’m not sure how Monty will do it, but he NEEDS to split up the top line. We get demolished on the road because teams can match up directly against 14/91/47.

Reactions: JohnLennon

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017

I think what you mentioned is exactly what he will do if Val keeps his play up. No way he splits up Benn-Seguin-Radulov though unfortunately no matter what at this point. Gurianov looked good with them yet lasted just 5 minutes or so before they were reunited lmao

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
Im all for Guri on the top line with Benn and Seguin. I loved how Nuke and Guri looked together the other night but having a legit 1st line player on the second line in Rads would help that line so damn much.

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
Great season from Gurianov, funny how last AHL playoffs really spoiled a lot of people on him. Myself included.

I really hope he takes another step forward this season or next and gets that shot off in the NHL and can become a sniper. If he can do that he will solidify himself nicely, otherwise he might just become a faster skating forechecker with limited offensive ability.

brakeyawself

Oct 5, 2006
Great season from Gurianov, funny how last AHL playoffs really spoiled a lot of people on him. Myself included.

I really hope he takes another step forward this season or next and gets that shot off in the NHL and can become a sniper. If he can do that he will solidify himself nicely, otherwise he might just become a faster skating forechecker with limited offensive ability.

If he can reach the offensive potential he was thought to have when drafted, he is going to be a special player. Radulov won't be able to hold him down on the 2nd line if he does reach his ceiling. And there is still plenty of time for him to do that. Surely, he's still so young. I would point to a possible career path like Elias Lindholm. Except maybe he will remain with the same team.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
His speed still amazes me everytime I watch him. Anyone have a gif of that backcheck on the Hawks forward that had a huge head start on him? That was incredible

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Wish he would finish his chances at the NHL level like that / starts to soon . He allways gets his chances but it seemed like so far nerves or something get in his way . Several times just lost the puck on breakways in NHL games. Can't even say the better NHL goaltending is a factor when he doesn't manage to get the shot off.

Reminds me off Reily Smith in his first NHL season in 2012/2013 ( was 21 back then too ) . You saw he had the tools but couldn't quite make use of them at the NHL level just yet.

Its similar with Hintz .

Last edited:
Reactions: Aerrol

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Wish he would finish his chances at the NHL level like that / starts to soon . He allways gets his chances but it seemed like so far nerves or something get in his way . Several times just lost the puck on breakways in NHL games. Can't even say the better NHL goaltending is a factor when he doesn't manage to get the shot off.

Reminds me off Reily Smith in his first NHL season in 2012/2013 ( was 21 back then too ) . You saw he had the tools but couldn't quite make use of them at the NHL level just yet.

Its similar with Hintz .

This is a good comparison. Guryanov needs to take a big leap and start doing more with his NHL ice time. Reilly Smith started generating a lot more shots in his first year with the Bruins and if Guryanov follows that trajectory, I would be pleased.

It also f***s me up that Smith is 27

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Nerves? It's his ability.

It's not just his ability you clearly see the difference. At the NHL level with the same kind of breakaway he had like the one in this post he hasn't gotten off a shot . It wasn't less time or the NHL goalie but the difference was how he played it . It's more than just his ability why it hasn't clicked yet at the NHL level. Confidence in Pro- SPorts is a huge thing and he clearly has confidence at the AHL level and not quite at the NHL just yet. Some players take some time. He wouldn't be the first 20-21 year old who wasn't quite there yet in his first NHL year and not neccessarily for his ability but how he can't quite use it yet who made the leap the next season. Now might he also not take the leap ? Yes but there you can see the ability is there now he has to put it together in NHL games.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aerrol and Leopain

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
The behind the back pass from Jason Robertson is SEXXXXXY on the second goal.

Also, Gurianov is just too good for the AHL.. but can't seem to do it in the NHL.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
The opportunity to shine is limited when you play roughly 9 minutes a game with grinders.

He also played in and with the top6 at times and something was just off . Like he's afraid of the puck at the NHL level . Afraid to make mistakes and makes mistakes because of it.

He should have a couple NHL assits though this year if Benn actually converted on his passes when Gurianov played with him.

Hell even in pre-season he just didn't look right. Why ? No idea. He was slated to play top6 but just looked bad and nervous there

Sep 20, 2013
In The Crease
Gurianov was gifted a top 6 role to start the season, despite not earning it in the preseason, and did nothing with the minutes. Caamano and Gardner came in on a line with veteran grinder Cogliano and have seized the opportunity, playing better than any of us fans expected.

At some point, you have to stop making excuses for a player and start expecting results. He's not a kid anymore, he's a man - a 22 year old professional athlete and it's time to act like it. He needs to get his head in the NHL game the same way he does in the AHL.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
I'll say this Hintz early last season was very similar ( and he's almost a year younger than Hintz ) . Made the team out of camp and it just didn't look right for the first half of the year . Got send down to the AHL alot and was dominant everytime he was down. Suddenly it clicked also in the NHL and now he's a completely different player . He's gotta look at that and say "i can do that too" . Just play the same game at the NHL level your playing at the AHL level where are just dominant when you put your mind to it. Stop overthinking stuff.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Gurianov was gifted a top 6 role to start the season, despite not earning it in the preseason, and did nothing with the minutes. Caamano and Gardner came in on a line with veteran grinder Cogliano and have seized the opportunity, playing better than any of us fans expected.

At some point, you have to stop making excuses for a player and start expecting results. He's not a kid anymore, he's a man - a 22 year old professional athlete and it's time to act like it. He needs to get his head in the NHL game the same way he does in the AHL.

I mean yeah but i don't think thats the type of players who really compete for the same spots Gurianov plays in. Caamano and Gardner are in the best case scenario 3rd liner grinders themselves who play defensive roles and PK who can chip in a bit here and there. Gardner allways played that type of role even in college and Caamano , who was a scorer in junior , learned to play a third/fourth line role with Texas last season. Gurianov is never going to be a third/fourth line grinder type of player . Thats not his skillset and it never was or will be.

You can even see it how Laxdall builds his AHL lines. Tufte for example he seems to think is probably best suited in a role as a grinder , Robertson as a scorer and are probably correct assesments.

Think i read somewhere the way the Stars and Laxdall see his role in prospect development is to get players ready for the role they are best suited for in NHL games and they get used in similar roles in the AHL . So a skillguy will be on the first lines and someone who projects as a third fourth liner grinder will play in that role.

So when the players gets called up he's instantly ready to play that role.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad