LW Juraj Slafkovsky (2022, 1st, MTL) Part 3

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
He reminds me a ton of Alexei Ponikarovsky. Not a bad winger to have in your middle 6 and on the PK.
But would be a bad ceiling for a 1st overall pick. Not saying that's what he will turn out to he though. Slafkovsky in 3 seasons will be a beast. He just needs time like every other young player.

Reactions: hellwar9

MoneyManny

Jun 28, 2021
We rush players to sell tickets. Winning hasn't been first in Montreal for quite some time, especially since Molson bought the team.

Not saying we are ruinning Slaf but we always sell out the barn while icing absolutely mediocre teams for 2 decades so why would they stop now.

That said Hughes and Gorton have nothing to do with MTL's past and for the first time ever fans and media are accepting a rebuild so I'm not sure why they are keeping Slaf up it's puzzling
This. I think the fact that not every ownership actually cares about cups, especially in a market like Montreal where history was already made and fans are taken for granted is understated.

For us fans it's a passion, a real competition to win it all. For owners it's mostly a bottom line and a gateway to boost their other enterprises like Geoff Molson and his beer company and Evenko.

Sensatauro

Dec 30, 2012
Someone change my mind on why I don't see this prospect being all that great. Like sure, he is decent hockey player. Buy 1st overall? I mean....I think Laf is better looking out there, and that is not a ringing endorsement of the guy by any stretch.

I find it interesting that so much positive is said here as one of my best friends is a habs guy and he complains most days about him I just don't see the same thoughts in here about the guy.

So...have at it, change my mind about this player who I feel has a real low ceiling at this point from my viewings this year.

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
Someone change my mind on why I don't see this prospect being all that great. Like sure, he is decent hockey player. Buy 1st overall? I mean....I think Laf is better looking out there, and that is not a ringing endorsement of the guy by any stretch.

I find it interesting that so much positive is said here as one of my best friends is a habs guy and he complains most days about him I just don't see the same thoughts in here about the guy.

So...have at it, change my mind about this player who I feel has a real low ceiling at this point from my viewings this year.
Your boy prob has unrealistic expectations. Kid is 18 he was always going to be a project.
Not looking great right now but nobody his size at 18-19 looks great at first. Only one I can think of is Auston Matthews but correct me if i'm wrong , and they are obviously different talent levels. Juraj also has 30 pounds on Matthews. Big body, will take a little bit more time. Habs have nothing but time on their side so there's no rush

Reactions: Sensatauro

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
What exactly is his upside? And has that changed from NHL viewings?
His "upside" is still pretty high IMO, but so are the chances it takes years to reach, if ever. His raw talent is high , his physical attributes are as good as you will find - at this point the flashes are few and far between but he could become someone who really beings a unique blend of speed skill and size to a team. Offensively I'm not really seeing much more than 30-35 goal scorer but one who has the ability to be a game breaker in certain situations, physically overmatch opponents , and really contribute to a winning team.

On the other hand maybe he's a 25 goal scoring top 6 winger who never learns to be physically dominant and doesn't I prove poise and decision making, just relies on his physical tools.

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
I don't see it TBH. What a year to win the lottery. Might as well pretend he went 10 OA and temper expectations.
I mean if your expectations on every 1st overall every year is a franchise changing talent right off the bat at 18 years old than idk what to tell you that's on you. Would you have the same expectations if cooley nemec or wright went first? Or do they magically not have to become PPG first line players anymore at 18-19-20 because they werent picked first over slaf?

He reminds me of Nichuskin too but just without the PPG potential.
Nichuskin was never ever close to PPG until 7 years after his draft year and his 6th full NHL season lol like come on :laugh::laugh:

Reactions: malcb33 and jcbio11

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
He would really have benefited from playing an extra yeat in sweden or AHL. Nit smart to devemope teenagers in NHL. Let them get an offensive role in europe, then AHL, then Go.

Why cant a GM just wait??
Wasted potential.
Remains to be seen on wasted potential, will know at the end of his ELC,

let's not forget this was Hughes Yr1
61gp 7g 14a
Slafkovsky
36gp 4g 6a
Pretty comparable starts so far

Reactions: jcbio11

MichaelFarrell

Aug 29, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
Remains to be seen on wasted potential, will know at the end of his ELC,

let's not forget this was Hughes Yr1
61gp 7g 14a
Slafkovsky
36gp 4g 6a
Pretty comparable starts so far
Jack Hughes looked like a 15 year old boy though. Slafkovsky looks like a 30 year old man lol.

Slaf will be just fine though. He was drafted for his potential as a goal scoring power forward. They usually take time to develop.

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
Jack Hughes looked like a 15 year old boy though. Slafkovsky looks like a 30 year old man lol.

Slaf will be just fine though. He was drafted for his potential as a goal scoring power forward. They usually take time to develop.
Yeah I know all I was trying to imply is looking at point totals doesn’t reveal potential. Slafs biggest weaknesses are he needs to adjust to the speed of the game as hes not reacting fast enough. He also needs to improve his acceleration and top speed he can’t use his size effectively in the forecheck because he’s not quick enough yet for his size.

The one positive is he still wants the puck and wants to get his shot off

Last edited:

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
I mean if your expectations on every 1st overall every year is a franchise changing talent right off the bat at 18 years old than idk what to tell you that's on you. Would you have the same expectations if cooley nemec or wright went first? Or do they magically not have to become PPG first line players anymore at 18-19-20 because they werent picked first over slaf?

Nichuskin was never ever close to PPG until 7 years after his draft year and his 6th full NHL season lol like come on :laugh::laugh:
Most first overalls are franchise changing talents, maybe not all of them at 18, but most end up being top players in the league. I'm not sure I can see that with Slaf, but who knows. Like you alluded to, he could have just as easily been picked at 4 or 5 overall and nobody would be saying anything.

Its just was a lousy year to win the lottery, and we're better off pretending he was picked 8OA not 1OA.

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
He’s been pretty much as I expected.

Still has some nice upside and I like to think a good probability to hit it (30g-60/65pts physical winger).

I think anyone hoping for more will be tremendously disappointed.

You can see he has more skill than a lot of people give him credit for, he’s got skill. Lots of good physical attributes as well. Definitely hasn’t been put in any favourable positions to flourish offensively this season, that’s for sure.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
The least of anyone's concerns right now. That all can be fixed with the second and third contract

Yes let's just incur problems that we can hopefully fix in later contract negotiations. Hopefully Juraj will want to be a Hab for life and give a nice discount. Better that than think forward in an important season like this one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad