LW Joel Farabee - USNTDP, USHL (2018, 14th, PHI)

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Caught a few of his games, looked like a quality player.

2018 prospect, will definitely keep an eye out for him.

usa_37_brady_tkachuk_ep.jpg

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=334036

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Completely concur. He's been maybe the best offensive player for the U17 NTDP team so far this season. I think he could be a top 15 pick.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Completely concur. He's been maybe the best offensive player for the U17 NTDP team so far this season. I think he could be a top 15 pick.

I have him behind Svechnikov (obviously, he's a beast) but honestly i've been more impressed by Farabee than Tkachuk. Tyler Weiss and Jake Pivonka are 2 other players that i've been impressed with.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
He was moved up from the U17 squad to the U18 team a week or so ago. Had a terrific first weekend with the older team -- scoring the winning goal with 9 seconds left in regulation on Friday night and then getting a hat trick on Saturday night.

Next season's U18 team looks a lot more promising than this year's team, which is the weakest USA Hockey has iced in quite awhile.

Wintersun

Jan 15, 2013
Montreal
Just watching the hat trick game. He's a kid that doesn't need many opportunities to score. Skating is good, shot is accurate. Seems to have great offensive instincts and knows where to be and when in the offensive zone. Very impressive kid.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I have him behind Svechnikov (obviously, he's a beast) but honestly i've been more impressed by Farabee than Tkachuk. Tyler Weiss and Jake Pivonka are 2 other players that i've been impressed with.

Pivonka doesn't impress me that much, to be honest. He's very reliable, takes a lot of the tough draws, but I don't think he has the offensive talent to be a first round pick. He still should be a mid-round pick. We'll see about Weiss, as well. I like what I've seen when he has the puck, but he's very one-dimensional, and he's like 5'9. Thats a tough combo to pick in the first round. If he can play a better all-around game, and maybe grow a few inches, I could see him being a first round pick, but for now, I wouldn't consider him more than a 2nd or 3rd rounder.

On that team, I think Wilde, Wise, Farabee are the three obvious first rounders for now. Miller, Samuelsson, Wahlstrom and Gruden are kind of borderline for me. Whenever I watch the U17 NTDP team, the other goalie is starting :laugh:, so I'm not sure about Karki, but he does seem to be one of the better goalies out of that NTDP program. Probably too early to say if he's a 1st round level goalie, there usually aren't many 1st round level goalies.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
Whenever I watch the U17 NTDP team, the other goalie is starting :laugh:, so I'm not sure about Karki, but he does seem to be one of the better goalies out of that NTDP program. Probably too early to say if he's a 1st round level goalie, there usually aren't many 1st round level goalies.

Karki has impressed me in net this season. He positions himself well and controls the rebounds. Hopefully he and the backup Ullan have put behind them whatever got them temporarily benched a couple of months ago -- neither of them dressed for a few weekends and the team brought in two other replacement goalies.

Rogie21

Sep 10, 2005
Last edited:

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Does anyone have a good scouting report on him?

Not sure how in depth you want, but he's a skilled winger with all the tools. He's kind of in the Keller/Mittelstadt/Yamamoto mold, albeit probably towards the lesser end of that spectrum, and he's also a well-rounded player, besides just the offense. Some might be concerned with his size, but he's 5'11, so its not that big of a deal.

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
Very interesting range of reports on him. He’s had some good games and some bad ones recently. He’s around 15 on my rankings but somehow finds himself in the top 10 of some scouting services.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
Farabee's off to a very good start this season. Last night at home versus Cedar Rapids he was the best player on the ice, with a goal and an assist. Check out his assist, starting at approximately the one minute mark of the highlight reel below. He shows great patience and awareness, and makes a perfect pass to Wahlstrom. Farabee made a similar play later in the game, but his teammate failed to convert the pass into a goal. He also had three other great scoring chances created by his skating and puck handling ability, but was denied each time by some fine goaltending.

MichaelFarrell

Aug 29, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
Anybody know where he is going to play in the 2018-2019 season? Eliteprospects says he is committed to BU for the 19-20 season. Is he just going to play in the USHL?

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
Anybody know where he is going to play in the 2018-2019 season? Eliteprospects says he is committed to BU for the 19-20 season. Is he just going to play in the USHL?

If BU cannot find a spot for him next season, I would imagine another decent NCAA program would pony up a scholarship for a player of his skill.

Farabee showed some fire last night against Sioux City. He was called for a charging penalty late in the game, when clearly it was the SC player who ran into his own goaltender. SC scored quickly on the power play to tie the game, and Farabee came out of the penalty box and immediately began berating the ref. He then proceeded to leave the ice, so we thought he'd been tossed from the game. However, a few minutes later he was back on the ice with Wahlstrom and Hughes, so I'm not sure why he headed to the locker room.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
he kind of seems like the forgotten guy in this group, especially with all the call-ups. he is as steady as they come, top 15 pick is definitely in his sights

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Any chance he gets into the top ten? I have him in limited viewings around 9-12 range

Reactions: Castle8130

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Scored this goal today. I thought he was probably the best US player today. Really like his work-ethic. I see a poor-man's Parise in his game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad