LW/C Jonathan Dahlen (2016, 42nd, OTT; traded to VAN; traded to SJS)

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
I really don't see the problem. He is 23. It takes something to move to a NHL team and feel that you have earned your right to play in the top 6 (at least top 9). Some need a bit more time to kind of find that swagger. Zuccarello being a perfect example.

I think a year in the SHL would be perfect for him. If he can perform at similar levels there he would have built himself a solid foundation to succeed in NA. Even if he would be ready to play in the NHL next season I don't really see the long-term downside for him staying a bit longer in Sweden. Too many seem to believe their potential just evaporates if they are not moving up fast enough. I think there is some truth to that, but I think the risk of getting derailed by taking step too quickly is far bigger - and will have worse long-term effects on development.

Reactions: Evgeny Oliker

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
Awesome for him! His rights are held by the sharks until hes 27, so if he wants to screw the team he can wait till then to sign with someone else.
If Sharks dont want the scoring leader in SHL(if that would be the case) i dont think they are that stupid, and not trade the rights to another team.

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
I was t
He was this year and if he goes back he has a good chance of doing it again next year
I was talking about next year. Dahlen is good, but he got a hard time winning the scoring title in a leauge he dont play in.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Your old Jofa helmet

Oct 2, 2006
Toronto
Does anyone know what's the latest on Dahlen?

He clearly has all the talent to play in the upper hockey echelons but chooses to play for his home team out of loyalty. You gotta respect that. But I'm still wondering if he can play in the NHL and I'm curious to find it out sooner rather than later. Sharks would be a perfect fit now.

gifted88

Dante the poet
Feb 12, 2010
Guelph, ON
Not sure he would arrive in time to get games in this year as he's still playing in the playoffs and would probably require a quarantine period as well.

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
Sharks season ends in a week. Dahlen's season might end later. He's also unsigned (albeit qualified). It's impossible he plays in the NHL this year.

He's supposed to come over next year. I think his staying in Sweden this year wasn't really an issue - he had a bad first year in the AHL, went home to regain his form on a loan (perfectly understandable from the Sharks' perspective and they controlled his contract), dominated the league, and then covid happened. Dahlen stayed in Sweden and started this season there when there was no guarantee there'd even be an NHL season, let alone an AHL season - better to get in games that he could play than just sit around for sixteen months.

I don't know if he turns into anything at the NHL level, but his second season with Timra this year is more complicated than "he just wanted to play for his hometown team." Had he stayed there in the absence of covid, then that would be fair.

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
Signed a 1 year, 1 way contract with San Jose for 2021/2022.

How does these one way two way contract work? Must he be placed through wavers with a one way contract? And there for a bigger chance to play on the NHL team?

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
How does these one way two way contract work? Must he be placed through wavers with a one way contract? And there for a bigger chance to play on the NHL team?

One-way just means that the players salary will be the same in the AHL as it would be in the NHL. For players on two-way contracts, they will make a lesser salary while in the AHL. Waiver exemption is based on years since ELC was signed and games played. Dahlen signed his ELC in 2017 and is no longer exempt. He would be eligible for waivers. He does have a Euro Assignment Clause so I don't see him spending any time in the AHL.

Seiza

Feb 28, 2002
Sweden
If he can transfer his game from recent seasons in Sweden, he will be a candidate for Rookie of the year next season. Hope San Jose gives him a real shot on the top two lines.

Reactions: NiWa

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
One-way just means that the players salary will be the same in the AHL as it would be in the NHL. For players on two-way contracts, they will make a lesser salary while in the AHL. Waiver exemption is based on years since ELC was signed and games played. Dahlen signed his ELC in 2017 and is no longer exempt. He would be eligible for waivers. He does have a Euro Assignment Clause so I don't see him spending any time in the AHL.
Thanks now ive learned something i thought i knew. Its called killgissa in Sweden "guyguessing". killgissa - Wiktionary

flying v 604

Sep 4, 2014
If he can transfer his game from recent seasons in Sweden, he will be a candidate for Rookie of the year next season. Hope San Jose gives him a real shot on the top two lines.
He played in a very weak tier 2 Swedish league so using that as a base is difficult. I was so hyped for this guy but at this point it will be a win just to see him produce enough to not get waived.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Every time he played at the higher level he showed nothing good. Be it AHL or international games in the EHT this year. Subsequently, he wasn't even getting invited to the NT after the 1st tournament. He has snowball's chance in hell to have a meaningful impact in the NHL.

Mar 14, 2015
He played in a very weak tier 2 Swedish league so using that as a base is difficult. I was so hyped for this guy but at this point it will be a win just to see him produce enough to not get waived.
Saying swedens tier 2 is very weak is just false, its a good 2 tier. But I do agree its a bit hard to use that as base translating to nhl, going to be interesting to see how he will do.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
Every time he played at the higher level he showed nothing good. Be it AHL or international games in the EHT this year. Subsequently, he wasn't even getting invited to the NT after the 1st tournament. He has snowball's chance in hell to have a meaningful impact in the NHL.

This will not age well))

Reactions: NiWa and Sandisfan

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
This will not age well))
I mean going around telling something won't age well is a fairly risk-free strategy unless you can point out any actual arguments to support it. If he was on par with at least the best players in the SHL he would have made the Swedish WC team (or numerous EHT teams before that). And even then very few of the best SHL players have NHL potential.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad