LW Alex Formenton (2017, 47th, OTT)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
I was shocked to see him in preseason highlights tonight. Incredible he has stuck this long.

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
Excellent Goal by Formenton!!
Congrats to him.
The Knights may not see him for awhile with plays like that.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Formenton was definitely a sleeper for me at the draft. Kind of stuck in a buried, Cliff Pu-esque draft season position behind a lot of other vets. Obviously had skill and speed to burn, but not the opportunity. I would expect him to torch the OHL this year.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Has to be the first guy to make an NHL team in their D+1 without playing top 6 minutes in junior hockey

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
At least when Sprong and ROR stayed up it was kinda understandable. Sprong was heavily scouted and had fallen in the draft. Everyone knew Pittsburgh desperately needed cheap wingers. ROR meanwhile was the 33rd pick. It was a bit odd, but he the Avs weren't very deep and it didn't surprise anyone.

Formenton wasn't even a solid bet to be drafted in the second round AND he was one of the youngest players in the draft. Boucher hates young players too. I mean, Brassard and White are hurt, but Ottawa has lots of centers and Brown and Chalpik were great in camp too.

Three points in 5 games in preseason. Even in the bad games he was one of the best forwards. He's not doing tap-ins either,he's out there generating offense.

How did this kid not even get top-6 ice-time in his draft year? What a weird situation.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
We draft really well, but we're so careful usually (Lazar excepted), that this is not only a surprise, but a shocker. The kid was lights out this pre-season. Speed, tenacity for a beanpole, hands. He outplayed a lot of other players to his credit.

Now...does he get more than 5 games? Does he come close to 9? Or does he stick. That's to come...

Tkachuckycheese

Oilers/Sens
Feb 2, 2016
At least when Sprong and ROR stayed up it was kinda understandable. Sprong was heavily scouted and had fallen in the draft. Everyone knew Pittsburgh desperately needed cheap wingers. ROR meanwhile was the 33rd pick. It was a bit odd, but he the Avs weren't very deep and it didn't surprise anyone.

Formenton wasn't even a solid bet to be drafted in the second round AND he was one of the youngest players in the draft. Boucher hates young players too. I mean, Brassard and White are hurt, but Ottawa has lots of centers and Brown and Chalpik were great in camp too.

Three points in 5 games in preseason. Even in the bad games he was one of the best forwards. He's not doing tap-ins either,he's out there generating offense.

How did this kid not even get top-6 ice-time in his draft year? What a weird situation.

The London Knights have huge depth upfront. So he wasn't able to get top 6 minutes on the team. He was also a late bloomer in everything he's played in. If he was playing in the top 6 he would of probably got a mid first round pick placement. Give it to the Sens scouting department in seeing his potential.

Benttheknee

Jun 18, 2005
Ottawa
Alex Formenton will play his first NHL gate at 18 years and 24 days. That must be one of the youngest players ever and certainly since the league went to the Draft.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Same thing is happening with Yamamoto.

Congrats kid, youve made the team. We'll reward you by having you sit in the box and play 5 mins a game!

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014

Congrats kid, youve made the team. We'll reward you by having you sit in the box and play 5 mins a game!

I never understood this perspective. Give the kid his ~9 games and send him back to junior with more money that he's ever seen.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Well, it gives Formenton some time with the trainers, and a taste of pro life. Besides, the way he impressed in preseason, he deserves to get a couple of games and a chance to hang with the team for a bit.

The experience will help him back in London.

Reactions: Gil Scott Perron

Lays

Jan 22, 2017

Chytil is facing the same thing after an amazing preseason as well, his confidence is going to get killed. He played less than 5 mins vs Toronto last night

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
He was Bouchered last night 4:54 ... rationale: It was a close game where 1 goal would make the difference and I didn't want him to make a mistake and remember his first game like that.
Its the NHL most games are close games. If he's not going to play send him down.. he's 18... he can do the 9 game thing next year

I think Chabot was up last year and was in the press box for 8 games or so, and played less than that in the game he saw action in. If I recall correctly Boucher went 11-7 that game.

Benttheknee

Jun 18, 2005
Ottawa
Chabot was with Ottawa last year for about 12 games, but only played in one. I think it would have been considered successful.

I wonder if Formenton will draw interest from the Junior team.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Chabot was with Ottawa last year for about 12 games, but only played in one. I think it would have been considered successful.

I wonder if Formenton will draw interest from the Junior team.

Formenton is a year younger than Chabot was.. Hes's done great. He's had a taste. He needs to play. Chabot played a lot of important minutes last year in the Q and at the WJC as well.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
No need to worry. I'd be willing to bet he's back in London in a week or two. Just being in the NHL, even if it's 5 minutes of icetime, is a confidence booster for a kid like Formenton that came out of nowhere.

Reactions: edguy

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
No need to worry. I'd be willing to bet he's back in London in a week or two. Just being in the NHL, even if it's 5 minutes of icetime, is a confidence booster for a kid like Formenton that came out of nowhere.

Totally agree with this - this will help his confidence, will be an awesome bonus financially, and will make him more prepared to be a pro. Dorion said that if at any point it becomes clear that he's not amongst our top 12 fwds, he will be sent down and I think that's perfect if adhered to.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad