Prospect Info: Luke Tuch

chapeau

Jan 16, 2019
I think he'll be among the first call ups, but the Habs are taking advantage of letting him cook in the AHL while they clear a spot in the bottom6 for him. Whether its injury or trade, I can see Tuch playing games in MTL this year.

I don't expect high production from him, but he's got just enough skill that he could be that 15-20G guy like Weise was in his best years, while being much more physical than Dutch Gretzky.

The struble comparison people are making is solid. College kids come physically mature and ready to be real Pros. Tuch was a good pick IMO
Prime Weise would be great. If he gives us 4-5 years of 10-15 goals while being physical that'd be ideal.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
I just want us to re-create Winnipeg's 4th line in 2018.

Armia-Copp-Lowry

Tuch-Beck-Florian
Beck has a much higher skill level than any of those Jets. He'll be more than a 4th line center. And if he's only our 4th line center, the dark days of this franchise are over.

Reactions: salbutera

ChesterNimitz

Jul 4, 2002
I rarely disagree with you but there is no way you can say that Owen Beck will ever become as good and effective as Adam Lowry who would be on any team I would put together.
They are different type of players. It's a mistake to pigeon hole Beck as a 4th line player. He's more Stankoven than Lowery. Different type of players.

Reactions: salbutera

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
They are different type of players. It's a mistake to pigeon hole Beck as a 4th line player. He's more Stankoven than Lowery. Different type of players.
I hope you are right Admiral but I don't see Beck having the same offensive impact as Logan Stankhoven, that's a pipe dream in my estimation. I don't see much more than maybe a 3rd line center, possibly 4th line. We shall see. I hope your analysis is more accurate than mine.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
I hope you are right Admiral but I don't see Beck having the same offensive impact as Logan Stankhoven, that's a pipe dream in my estimation. I don't see much more than maybe a 3rd line center, possibly 4th line. We shall see. I hope your analysis is more accurate than mine.
IMO Beck is more in the Ryan O’Reilly mold of player - excellent hockey brain allows execution of minutiae coaches drool over

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
Beck has a much higher skill level than any of those Jets. He'll be more than a 4th line center. And if he's only our 4th line center, the dark days of this franchise are over.

All of those Jets guys had top 6 skills, but they played a bottom 6 game. That's why they were such a dominant 4th line. They spent most of the time in the opponent's end cycling the puck and creating chances.

If Beck ends up being an Andrew Copp on our 4th line, we are in business. It means we have great depth in our fwd group.

Reactions: BehindTheTimes

Hannibal

Fear the Weber
Feb 11, 2007

Beck will be our fourth line center. And thats not a bad thing. He wont be top 6 and even top 9. Newhook, Hage, Kapanen all has higher upside offensively at center. He’s out next Evans but hopefully a lot less vanilla version of him.

ChesterNimitz

Jul 4, 2002
All of those Jets guys had top 6 skills, but they played a bottom 6 game. That's why they were such a dominant 4th line. They spent most of the time in the opponent's end cycling the puck and creating chances.

If Beck ends up being an Andrew Copp on our 4th line, we are in business. It means we have great depth in our fwd group.
It's all about projection.

I've followed Beck closely in the OHL and always came away impressed with his combination of skating, skill and leadership. I always found it amusing that people who heard that Beck was good on the face off and killing penalties but had never seen him play, immediately saw him as a bottom two line center.

I would suggest that people get the FLO network and actually watch Beck play. He's now an explosive skater who is easily identifiable as the best skater on the ice. It's also instructive to know that this untested rookie is now playing center on Laval's first power play unit. As I pointed out often last year Beck was a menace on Saginaw's power play, who repeatedly displayed a one-timer from the left half board that was the equal of Mailloux's. He is also, I noted, one of the few junior players who has the ability to score while shooting off the rush. Beck showed that ability in the game against Springfield when, while killing a penalty, he almost scored while shooting off the rush after he was able to turn the opposing defenceman using his speed.

Bottom line: this is no 4th line center.

In two years, it would not surprise me if Montreal's top 3 centers are Suzuki, Beck and Hage. No surprise at all.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
My evaluation is closer to yours, I think Beck may make a solid 3rd line center that can take a few reps as an injury replacement on the 2nd line and not completely kill you. I don’t see a Patrice Bergeon here, but I do see a solid NHLer who will contribute to a winning team.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
My evaluation is closer to yours, I think Beck may make a solid 3rd line center that can take a few reps as an injury replacement on the 2nd line and not completely kill you. I don’t see a Patrice Bergeon here, but I do see a solid NHLer who will contribute to a winning team.
👍

Hannibal

Fear the Weber
Feb 11, 2007

I've followed Beck closely in the OHL and always came away impressed with his combination of skating, skill and leadership. I always found it amusing that people who heard that Beck was good on the face off and killing penalties but had never seen him play, immediately saw him as a bottom two line center.

I would suggest that people get the FLO network and actually watch Beck play. He's now an explosive skater who is easily identifiable as the best skater on the ice. It's also instructive to know that this untested rookie is now playing center on Laval's first power play unit. As I pointed out often last year Beck was a menace on Saginaw's power play, who repeatedly displayed a one-timer from the left half board that was the equal of Mailloux's. He is also, I noted, one of the few junior players who has the ability to score while shooting off the rush. Beck showed that ability in the game against Springfield when, while killing a penalty, he almost scored while shooting off the rush after he was able to turn the opposing defenceman using his speed.

Bottom line: this is no 4th line center.

In two years, it would not surprise me if Montreal's top 3 centers are Suzuki, Beck and Hage. No surprise at all.

Jesus, Beck aint on Suzuki and Hage level.

MTL Dirty Birdy

Aug 29, 2021
I see a Danault with Sandpaper as a ceiling and a manny malhotra floor

Habs

I've almost had enough of you kids
Feb 28, 2002
This thread is about the glorious Luke Tuch, take your Beck talk elsewhere or I'm telling the mods!!!!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad