Prospect Info: Lukas Vejdemo

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I should say Vejdemo is likely Laval bound if they don't loan him to an club in Allsvenskan. Didn't see that was a possibility but many teams have been doing it. The problem is the stupid NHL needs to make up their f***ing mind, are they going to let players that play in Euro leagues come over and play in the NHL (not sure if that possible rule includes AHL or not)

I haven't seen all of the teams' loans so far. But I did see many of them say that they will be back once the NHL/AHL returns. So I imagine there is an agreement in place. I do know the Habs said the Leskinen will be back once camps start when they announced his loan.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

Steve Shutt

Don't Poke the Bear
May 31, 2007
Must admit I thought he was gone when he didn't join us in Montreal when practice resumed. At 24 and based on his production I'n not sure if he was worth one of our 50 contracts. Hope he can step it up a notch and be a solid piece in Laval

Reactions: Doc McKenna

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
Must admit I thought he was gone when he didn't join us in Montreal when practice resumed. At 24 and based on his production I'n not sure if he was worth one of our 50 contracts. Hope he can step it up a notch and be a solid piece in Laval
This bears repeating. People need to remember we have limited roster spots and 20 draft picks or some number like that. We still need a spot for all these superstars to play. Sadly they aren't just coins were you trade a bunch of nickles and have 3 quarters instead. No one wants three 7th rounders, a sixth rounder and two 5th rounders, for their number 1st draft pick. So each year we need to shed a few contracts. Of course many won't make the AHL but at the same time some are late bloomers and may need an extra year or be in europe of the KHL. Our system for developing talent isn't a very good one in Canada. Which also mirrors the poorly conceived 'follow team plan' instead of making more talented players. Defence at all costs mentality hurts player development.

I suspect a lot of players that could have been servicable 3rd and 4th liners are thrown away because of all levels of hockey here look at talent and try to box it into team play first and foremost. Should they learn defense? Absolutely, but not if it disrupts a steady progression of skill development. D is easier to learn(in general) than having laser beam accuracy and being able to pick a corner.

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
Another year in Laval. Laval needs to stock up this year! Create that winning culture... it's the right time

Bergevin needs to sign like 3 legit veteran AHL scorers for the Rocket to even have a shot at the playoffs. Have you seen how strong some of these AHL squads are looking compared to us? Up front we are looking weak with guys like Poehling and Evans likely spending a lot of time in Montreal next season. Hudon I doubt he is back.

Legit players for Laval 2020-21:
Hudon: probably won't be back
Poehling: probaby wont spend the whole year in the AHL
Evans: Montreal bound
Belzile: more of a 3rd liner
Blandisi: sure
Vejdemo: 2nd/3rd line
Dauphin: he's solid but not elite
Ylonen: probably won't dominate the AHL as a rookie

That's not a playoff team unless Primeau stands on his head

Need to sign a full first line from free agency and I would go full Quebec mode by getting guys like Danick Martel, JS Dea and Frederick Gaudreau

Reactions: cphabs

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Bergevin needs to sign like 3 legit veteran AHL scorers for the Rocket to even have a shot at the playoffs. Have you seen how strong some of these AHL squads are looking compared to us? Up front we are looking weak with guys like Poehling and Evans likely spending a lot of time in Montreal next season. Hudon I doubt he is back.

Need to sign a full first line from free agency and I would go full Quebec mode by getting guys like Danick Martel, JS Dea and Frederick Gaudreau

If no Hudon they will get us someone else but I could see them making the playoffs as Bouchard is that good, Primeau is one of the best goalie prospects and I'm hoping/expecting Brook and Poehling to be much better.

I bet this past seasons team would have made the playoffs and that was with no skilled vets and at times losing just about their entire top 6 to the NHL or injuries. MB did a terrible job with the vets they got, which is likely more on the pro scouts but still they should have really helped us and instead they sucked. But Primeau in the last few weeks was on fire and Bouchard really seems to know how to get the best out of his players.

But for sure they must have some quality vets to join Belzile, Hudon or another plus someone else is must unless they bring in a Thompson like player for the Habs 4th line and Evans spends around half the season in Laval.

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
If no Hudon they will get us someone else but I could see them making the playoffs as Bouchard is that good, Primeau is one of the best goalie prospects and I'm hoping/expecting Brook and Poehling to be much better.

I bet this past seasons team would have made the playoffs and that was with no skilled vets and at times losing just about their entire top 6 to the NHL or injuries. MB did a terrible job with the vets they got, which is likely more on the pro scouts but still they should have really helped us and instead they sucked. But Primeau in the last few weeks was on fire and Bouchard really seems to know how to get the best out of his players.

But for sure they must have some quality vets to join Belzile, Hudon or another plus someone else is must unless they bring in a Thompson like player for the Habs 4th line and Evans spends around half the season in Laval.

MB probably wants to make the playoffs for both Montreal and Laval so having players like Evans, Poehling or Fleury that could spend time in Laval but will also be called up to Montreal isn't great for the Rocket. It means with injuries, trades and stuff these players are actually more likely to be up with the big club by April which weakens Laval's team.

I agree with you about Bouchard and Primeau but the truth is there is not enough quality scorers on the team to account for injuries + call-ups. If both MTL and LAV make the playoffs and MTL needs to call up a few guys, there is simply not enough depth on Laval to expect to win a round. This is why you need at least 3 veteran scorers added. On D it's less of a problem with Romanov/Fleury who can go up and down freely and 4 others in Ouellet, Alzner, Brook and Olofsson on top of that and maybe even Juulsen and Leskinen

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
MB probably wants to make the playoffs for both Montreal and Laval so having players like Evans, Poehling or Fleury that could spend time in Laval but will also be called up to Montreal isn't great for the Rocket. It means with injuries, trades and stuff these players are actually more likely to be up with the big club by April which weakens Laval's team.

I agree with you about Bouchard and Primeau but the truth is there is not enough quality scorers on the team to account for injuries + call-ups. If both MTL and LAV make the playoffs and MTL needs to call up a few guys, there is simply not enough depth on Laval to expect to win a round. This is why you need at least 3 veteran scorers added. On D it's less of a problem with Romanov/Fleury who can go up and down freely and 4 others in Ouellet, Alzner, Brook and Olofsson on top of that and maybe even Juulsen and Leskinen

I'm sure he does want to make the playoffs for both teams, which is why I'm sure he will get us some help in Laval just this time it needs to be better. As for the depth they did a really good job in finding ECHLers last year and when you get closer to the playoffs you could see guys like Caufield, Harris, Norlinder, joining the team depending on when their season ends.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
MB did a terrible job with the vets they got, which is likely more on the pro scouts but still they should have really helped us and instead they sucked.
You absolve Bouchard way to easily here imo. Yes, they should have went for players that fit Bouchard's philosophy better, but Varone and Barber were legitimate AHL stars before they played for Joel. Peca was also a good AHL player. Unless he changes his approach, we might be facing the same problem next season.

Imagine Weal landing in Laval next season. If he doesn't go along with Bouchard we're gonna conclude he's a bad AHL player?

Or we just go with four lines of grinders next season, so they can obediently execute the style of play the coach wants to implement.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
You absolve Bouchard way to easily here imo. Yes, they should have went for players that fit Bouchard's philosophy better, but Varone and Barber were legitimate AHL stars before they played for Joel. Peca was also a good AHL player. Unless he changes his approach, we might be facing the same problem next season.

Imagine Weal landing in Laval next season. If he doesn't go along with Bouchard we're gonna conclude he's a bad AHL player?

Or we just go with four lines of grinders next season, so they can obediently execute the style of play the coach wants to implement.

Hudon and Belzile didn't have a problem playing for him, he did a great job with little offensive talent towards the end there, I 100% believe in Bouchard. I think he's the best AHL coach we have had that I can remember and I was a big believer in Boucher.

I wasn't saying they were bad AHLers, just bad fits and that's the job of the GM and his pro scouts to build a team he has to get the right parts. Clearly he didn't, not that I'm surprised since I think he sucks at his job.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland

Yes, they have to sign some offensive producers or change the roster makeup in Montreal, so that a guy like Weal finds himself in Laval. However, you're selling short what Bouchard has to work with.

Their goaltending should be strong.

They have a deep defense with a top-3 consisting of Ouellet, Olofsson and Fleury and a bottom-3 of Brook, Schueneman and Leskinen. I expect it to be even deeper with a couple of more signings. Wouldn’t surprise me if Leskinen is pushed out of the lineup and goes back to Europe.

They are deep at center with Poehling, Dauphin, Vejdemo, Vigneault and Hillis all capable of playing the position.

They have enough depth at wings to keep a guy like Pezzetta permanently off the lineup. In fact, some of the younger guys like Teasdale, Harvey-Pinard and Hawel may find themselves in the ECHL initially.

Yes, they need two more top line players as they only have one proven point producer in Belzile (don't know why you have him as a 3rd liner). But those will be signed or relegated from Montreal.

The problem for Laval, as in last season, will not be the lack of talent, but utilizing this talent to create offense consistently and getting the top guys to buy into the teams' concept.

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
That's a good point about Weal, he could be a vet added to the Laval's line-up next year. Did not think about him but with the depth we have in Montreal, he could be waived in training camp

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
They have a deep defense with a top-3 consisting of Ouellet, Olofsson and Fleury and a bottom-3 of Brook, Schueneman and Leskinen. I expect it to be even deeper with a couple of more signings. Wouldn’t surprise me if Leskinen is pushed out of the lineup and goes back to Europe.

they played Brook over Fleury at the end there, though Fleury was terrible so it's not surprising but I hope Brook is on the top pairing again especially since he's been said to have bulked up.

Leskinen might have to stay in Liiga, we don't know as the NHL is once again making rules up as they go, which is a bit understandable due to covid but still super frustrating as it was so lame of them not to let Romanov and the others play in the playoffs. Now they are saying they are considering that any players loaned to Euro leagues won't be allowed to come back and play this year. I don't know if that is just for NHL games though or if AHL games are included. And it's not official, which is kind of late since there have been over 60 players on NHL contracts loaned to Euro clubs, now almost all of them are Euro players but still it makes things complicated as you don't know which way they will rule.

Reactions: Archijerej

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
Hudon and Belzile didn't have a problem playing for him,

That's true. Unfortunately if you can get only half of your best players going it puts a strain on the teams' ultimate potential.

he did a great job with little offensive talent towards the end there

You mean Kotkaniemi? Yes. Although he was clearly above the AHL level right from the get go. Won't happen too often with the young players coming in.

I wasn't saying they were bad AHLers, just bad fits and that's the job of the GM and his pro scouts to build a team he has to get the right parts.

I sure hope they learned a lesson here and will improve. On the other hand, how many AHL coaches have the luxury of having players custom made for them? The top of AHL teams' lineup is, by definition, quite volatile, because it's intimately connected to the big club. If a coach can work with only a handful of his best players, that's concerning.

Last edited:

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
You mean Kotkaniemi? Yes. Although he was clearly above the AHL level right from the get go. Won't happen to often with the young players coming in.

I sure hope they learned a lesson here and will improve. On the hand, how many AHL coaches have the luxury of having players custom made for them? The top of AHL teams' lineup is, by definition, quite volatile, because it's intimately connected to the big club. If a coach can work with only a handful of his best players, that's concerning.

was saying just overall about how thin they were in terms of offensive players since Belzile was out for the season, Blandisi played only 4 games, Barber, Peca, Varone only 27-39 games, etc..

In 72 games our games played leaders were Brook/Alain 60, Olofsson 57, Lynch 54, Alzner/Jevpalovs 53, Leskinen 52

that's f***ing brutal. I mean injuries happen which lead to call ups but talk about depleting a lineup leaving them with almost nothing.

as for the situation with the vets, who knows what they were told before they signed, maybe that they would have a shot to make the team as they clearly didn't seem happy about being in Laval based on their play. Of course they shouldn't be but they should have expected it as well. Maybe Bouchard needs to look at things himself or maybe it's the players, or a bit of both, either way I think he's doing a great job as I only care about how the prospects are improving at the end of the day. Though I do badly want to see us in the playoffs every year.

Reactions: Archijerej

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

Montreal Canadiens general manager Marc Bergevin announced today that the team has agreed on the loan of forward Lukas Vejdemo to the Södertälje SK in the Allsvenskan (Sweden), for the start of the 2020-21 season. Vejdemo is expected to report for Montreal & Laval training camps for the 2020-21 season.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal

lol what? Belzile is definitely a top6 AHL forward. The fact you call Belzile a 3rd liner but Vejdemo a 2nd/3rd liner is hilarious.

To add insult to injury, you then put Martel and Gaudreau on the first line before him.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
I updated the op with the schedule for Vejdemo as his season starts on Friday.
I may actually try and catch a bit of that one out of curiosity. I used to go out of my way to watch some of his games back when he was on a pretty bad Djurgårdens team so it'll be kinda nostalgic :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad