Lots of all-time offensive individual records within reach by Oiler players in the finals. McDavid, Draisaitl, Bouchard & Hyman. Any predictions?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I'm sure if you ask Oiler players they'd say "we don't care about that, we just want the cup". But it's still fun to follow for fans. There are a lot of significant all-time records up for grabs for Oiler players. Here are a few and how close they are to beating them.

1. Most assists in single playoff run. Gretzky's record is 31. McDavid sits at 26 in 16 games.

If final goes 4 games - he's on pace for 32 assists
If final goes 7 games - he's on pace for 36 assists

At this point - this one feels quite likely to be broken, and would almost be a disappointment if it didn't happen.

2. Most assists per game in a single playoff run. Gretzky's record is 1.67 Assists per game. McDavid is 5th all-time at 1.44.

He'd need 11 assists in 4 games, or 16 assists in 7 games to surpass Gretzky. Seems like a tall task, but considering he's close to top I still wanted to mention it.

3. Most Points in a single playoff run. Gretzky has the record at 47 points. Then it's Lemieux at 44, Gretzky at 43 and Gretzky again at 40. 4x in history a player broke 40 points in a single playoff run.

If final goes 4 games, McDavid is on pace for 38 points
If final goes 7 games, McDavid is on pace for 43 points

If final goes 7 games, Draisaitl is on pace for 39 points, and Bouchard for 38 points. So both quite close to 40 as well.

I think 47 points is pretty impossible at this point. The most points ever scored in a final is 13, and McDavid would need 16 just to tie 47 points. But I think 40+ is definitely plausible, which would be a very exclusive club to join.

4. Most goals in a single playoff run. Reggie Leach and Jari Kurri share it at 19 goals. Zach Hyman currently has 14 goals

If final goes 4 games, Hyman is on pace for 17 goals
If final goes 7 games, Hyman is on pace for 19 goals

Highest goal-total this century in a playoff run is shared by Crosby and Ovechkin at 15 (2009 & 2018). Hyman is definitely in good position to surpass that. 19 is also possible, but seems like a tall task.

5. Most points in a single playoff run by a defenseman. Paul Coffey 37 points, Brian Leecth is #2 at 34 points (Makar 2 yrs ago had 29, 4th place). Bouchard is already 5th all-time at 27 points.

If final goes 4 games, Bouchard is on pace for 33 points, 3rd all-time
If final goes 7 games, Bouchard is on pace for 38 points, which would be #1 all-time

38 points is possible if the series goes 6 or 7 games, but coming in just short seems more likely.

6. Most assists in a single playoff run by a defenseman. Paul Coffey 25 assists. Bouchard is already in 4th place with 21 assists.

If final goes 4 games, Bouchard is on pace for 26 assists
If final goes 7 games, Bouchard is on pace for 29 assists

So - he's definitely on pace to surpass Coffey, even in just 4 more games. Good chance he does it.

Obviously - pace doesn't guarantee anything. Games/rounds get harder as you go. Players could overachieve/underachieve big-time come finals too. etc. Still - it's pretty fun to see so many individual records within reach.

Any predictions in regards to which records get broken, if any?

Last edited:

Montreal Shadow

Feb 18, 2008
Montreal
None gets broken. Oilers shit their pants and forfeit the finals upon seeing the mighty Panthers.

McDavid and Draisaitl get stripped of all their awards and go down as the most cowardly players of all time and get forgotten by history.

For real though, both assists records probably get broken.

Last edited:

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
None gets broken. Oilers shit their pants and forfeit the finals upon seeing the mighty Panthers.

McDavid and Draisaitk get stripped of all their awards and go down as the most cowardly players of all time and get forgotten by history.

For real though, both assists records probably get broken.

By both, did you mean assists by a defenseman too? If so I just realized I hadn't thought of it, and added it as #6 on the list. Bouchard is deifnitely on pace, even in just 4 games, to surpass Coffey's all-time record of 25 assists in a single playoff run.

If you meant assists per game for McDavid though...that's the most unlikely record to be broken here imo, and I doubt that happens.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
19 goals seems so easy and yet so impossible to beat

I agree. It's weird - 19 is a great number, but also seems like one of the weaker all-time records out there, yet no one ever beats it.

Just last year - Draisaitl had 13 goals in his first 8 games and seemed like he would blow past it....but then went scoreless in next 4 games and Oilers were out in round 2.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
The overall assists and defenceman assists records could fall, but I expect that Florida will mostly keep Edmonton's offence in check. Honestly though McDavid could get five or more assists in a series even if Edmonton is kept in check by Florida so who knows.

Reactions: Chaos2k7

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Yeah the 80's Oilers were too good for their own good in terms of the individual numbers.
Turns out they only lost 2 games that year. And then there was the bizarre extra game that got suspended due to fog that didn't actually count for the series but they still counted Gretzky's 2 assists.

Reactions: Fishy McScales

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
McDavid will get the assist record.

Nothing else falls.

Florida, and Bob, are too good to allow an offensive explosion. Especially their D.

Florida had the best defense in the league this year (least goals allowed anyways).

But for what it's worth, Edmonton has already faced some pretty good defensive teams in these playoffs:

LA - 3rd least goals against
Vancouver - 6th least goals against
Dallas - 8th least goals against

SaltNPeca

Jan 9, 2017
Köln
If Edmonton wins, probably 2 or 3 of these.

It's a bit less surprising if/when McDavid breaks a record. Words like generational have been thrown around since he hit puberty.

What I find pretty surprising is how Bouchard is pushing the D records. It comes a bit out of nowhere that this player could put up the best or even Top 3 all time playoff points by a D-man (your #5).

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
Both McDavid and Bouchard will break the assist records because they often combine on the same goals.

Reactions: Calderon

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Most assists overall(McDavid) and most assists by a defenseman(Bouchard) are the records I expect to be broken.

DrDangles

Mar 1, 2013
Was gonna say the assist number seems surprisingly low but then I saw Gretzky did that in 19 games.

This sent me down a little rabbit hole and today I learned there used to be ties in the playoffs.

Edit - Nvm I take this back. That infamous fog game was counted as a tie apparently.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: zar

Cant Kick On 1 Foot

Nov 22, 2006
My prediction is that if the Oilers don’t win the Cup it should be a colossal failure on epic proportions considering “Lots of all-time offensive records within reach by Oiler players in the finals, McDavid, Draisaitl, Bouchard and Hyman”, as the title suggests.

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
My prediction is that if the Oilers don’t win the Cup it should be a colossal failure on epic proportions considering “Lots of all-time offensive records within reach by Oiler players in the finals, McDavid, Draisaitl, Bouchard and Hyman”, as the title suggests.

That’s not a prediction. That’s a desired outcome likely based off McDavid leading this team to a Cup will bolster his all-time status and knock others down a peg or two.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
That was the lights going out at Boston Garden in 88. The fog game was Flyers-Sabres in the 70s.
Glenn Anderson set a new record for quickest goal from the start of a Finals game when he scored ten seconds into the contest. That record was tied two years later in the third game of the 1990 Finals by John Byce who, in a twist, was playing for the Bruins against the Oilers.[1] Fog interfered with the game, requiring stoppages during the second period so that all 40+ players could skate around the ice to clear it away. The Oilers scored with 3:23 left in the second period, tying the game at 3–3, then the arena suffered a power failure before the ensuing face-off. The teams were sent to their dressing room until – after a very long delay and no change in the situation – NHL President John Ziegler Jr. announced that the game was suspended.[2] Despite the game being suspended and replayed, Anderson's record is official.
Apparently this game had both.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad