Post-Game Talk: Losing sucks but we’re still tied 1-1

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
I think Henrique and Perry are subbed in next game. Ryan is gone and so is one of Mcleod/Foegele.

Yep, McLeod and Foegele were at least solid defensively to start the playoffs, but since the Hoglander goal in game 6, they've become leaker and leaker. That's now 4 straight games with a key goal against after going 9 games of near-perfect defence.

They've developed a nasty habit of just quickly funnelling the puck to the net. Foegele especially, as McLeod at least passes to his teammates, but Foegele is wearing blinders whenever he gets the puck. There is no looking where teammates are on the ice, it's just attacking the d-man head-on, cutting the outside, and then firing a quick wrister on net. Rinse and repeat, it's like they're just on a never ending PK.

Ryan's run into the same problem as Perry, where he's not adding alot to the line. Though that's because the line's main engines don't ever look at their 3rd linemate.

I'd be more than happy to see any of the following change ups...

McLeod-Henrique-Perry
Janmark-Carrick-Brown

Foegele-Henrique-Brown
Janmark-McLeod-Carrick

McLeod-Henrique-Brown
Janmark-Carrick-Perry

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
As a pretty staucnh Ryan McLeod supporter I'll say his game has wilted when the games have gotten more physical, I don't expect a hitting game out of him, but he has to increase his willingness to take some punishment to make a better play. I also think people look too much at point totals, he's one of our better defensive players, a good penalty killer, and helps with bottom 6 zone entries, and brings the kind of backcheck pressure that makes it easier for our D to challenge on our blueline.

I do think McLeod is a big part of the team and we will need him to go all the way. I could see a scratch being beneficial in re-setting him and pushing him to do more, but at no point do we have 12 better forward options than him.

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005
Yah at this point it is more than an anomaly that he is on the ice for way too many GA. Even when leaving the ice, he is painfully unaware. 9.25 mil/year is way too much for an unreliable middle pairing Dman. Just doesn't have the IQ, skill, ability, etc.
Iam to the point where I don't even care about his salary anymore. He got that contact because he had a career year both offensively and defensively and since he plays like he doesn't give a shit anymore.

I agree it's awareness, but I feel he is also a malcontent because he has been passed by at least 2 dmen in the depth chart and that has bruised his ego.

Reactions: frag2

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
I think last night was very typical of today's NHL.

-not a lot of pretty goals and really how many beautiful plays have we seen all playoffs? A handful--, the OT winner in game #1 by MC-D was something you want to see on the replay. So much of the rest of it involves deflections or bad bounces. A lot of cycling the puck until someone makes a mistake and this is where a team like Dallas excels.

-players are huge and are all experts with their sticks. Open ice is rare. The passing lanes are never open for more than a split second. Check, check, check once you go up by a goal--the Kings and Stars are both like that. Lots of shot blockers in today's NHL too. I don't think that Lafleur (as one example from the past) ever blocked a shot in his career but man was he fun to watch. Really liked to party too--well known over all the Montreal disco circuit and really loved his bourbon. He never did a pushup or sit up in his life.

-Anyway, enough nostalgia, I don't think there is all that much to pick amongst the remaining four teams in the playoffs. A few outstanding thoroughbreds and a lot of plow horses who are tough and hard working but not much fun to watch. I think this series comes down to lucky bounces and the odd giveaway but this is where Otter is better than Skinner. He's more likely to bail out his team despite the fact that Stu has played really well in the last 3 games.

Oilers will win on adrenalin come Monday evening. Puck luck is incoming.

Last edited:

BeanBurrito

Nov 8, 2018
Sucks cause we could have won if we capitalized on some chances. But this was never going to be a sweep.

We got outplayed for the second half of the game but we didn't get dominated, we were in it the whole time. Dallas was desperate to not go 0-2 at home but they still couldn't really tilt the ice. Even against the Canucks there were long stretches of play where we had no answer to their speed and strong puck movement.

But the Stars have better goaltending and are much more defensively stingy. McDavid and Drai need to find a way to get going. If they do, we will be fine. Hopefully they can feed off what's going to be an insane atmosphere in the next couple games.

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
- Were there even any officials on the ice? Two high sticks called all game (until garbage time)
- The fact they called a penalty on Benn after the Stars went up 3-1 is almost proving yourself guilty. I'm so glad they got called out in post game.
- WTF was that goalie pull? Maybe the worst I've ever seen. Absolute garbage by the Oilers
- Stars play trappy AF. LAK on steroids. Don't let these guys get a lead.....

We started great and then got tired! I'll take a 1-1 series back to Edmonton all day long! We could have been up 4-1 after 1.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I'm not worried yet. What we've seen is the Stars are giving it everything they have to stifle the Oilers, and the Oilers are up to it. This will be an even series and low scoring.

Reactions: MoontoScott

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
I'm going to take the split and be glad, but the Oilers played some awful hockey in the third. You can't score if you don't shoot. This game was very winnable.

The third line ain't it.
They do occasionally. I think McDavid is struggling after illness or whatever was bothering him. Next game will be important.

Reginald Dunlop

Apr 8, 2014
They actually played LA bamba?

Sick
Yeah I saw that. I hope it is just ignorance and they were trying to be funny but if they are aware of the significance with Ben and Joey and still did that it would be such an awful look for that organization.

Either way I hope the good guys use it to add fuel to the fire and maybe this will help to have the hockey gods on our side for a change.

Reactions: BlackDogg

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Foegele won't come out

Ryan, Carrick, Brown

I Vote Ryan.
I am totally on board with scratching Ryan. The refs aren't calling much anyway. Staples was saying we can't take him off because he's too important to the PK. First off, I don't agree. Second, the refs are barely calling anything. Third, Henrique also is a great PKer.

At any rate, I don't get the suggestions for scratching McLeod/Foegele. It's going to be someone at the bottom of ice time. That's the true measure of a player's value to the coach. So it's between Ryan, Janmark and Carrick.

Reactions: Whoshattenkirkshoes

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Dallas did a great job of getting in shooting lanes, blocking shots and getting sticks on puck.

Because the Oilers did a good job of waiting half an hour to make a shooting decision when they had the opportunity. Looked to pass as first option almost always no matter how good their look was.

larek

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Probably could have should have won this game -- some D miscues
Certain line struggling defensively
Have to speed up puck movement and shot taking

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007

Three of the four conference final teams are all fairly equal in penalty calls against with 59 (Panthers), 56 (Oilers), and 54 (Rangers).

Then…there’s Dallas. With all the slashing and hooking and holding they do, they have had just 37 calls on them. They were also the least penalized team in the whole league over the season with just 554 total minutes in penalties.

The Oilers must know they won’t get many power play chances this series (I’ll say 7 or less total, regardless how long it goes) so the staff and team need to figure it out 5 on 5 and a shorty or two would go a long way as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: frag2

Sra1974

Oct 8, 2019
I think last night was very typical of today's NHL.

-not a lot of pretty goals and really how many beautiful plays have we seen all playoffs? A handful--, the OT winner in game #1 by MC-D was something you want to see on the replay. So much of the rest of it involves deflections or bad bounces. A lot of cycling the puck until someone makes a mistake and this is where a team like Dallas excels.

-players are huge and are all experts with their sticks. Open ice is rare. The passing lanes are never open for more than a split second. Check, check, check once you go up by a goal--the Kings and Stars are both like that. Lots of shot blockers in today's NHL too. I don't think that Lafleur (as one example from the past) ever blocked a shot in his career but man was he fun to watch. Really liked to party too--well known over all the Montreal disco circuit and really loved his bourbon. He never did a pushup or sit up in his life.

-Anyway, enough nostalgia, I don't think there is all that much to pick amongst the remaining four teams in the playoffs. A few outstanding thoroughbreds and a lot of plow horses who are tough and hard working but not much fun to watch. I think this series comes down to lucky bounces and the odd giveaway but this is where Otter is better than Skinner. He's more likely to bail out his team despite the fact that Stu has played really well in the last 3 games.

Oilers will win on adrenalin come Monday evening. Puck luck is incoming.
It’s a good point, I have felt this playoffs to be a bit plodding in nature. Maybe it’s always like this and my nostalgia is kicking in like you said. I just don’t feel like we are seeing the speed, flow and beauty of the game on display on a regular basis.

This methodical game is what the oilers are going to need to win this series if they can. It will come down to the most minuscule of things, last night in the first period just barely missing to take the lead a few times and the after that the game was at best a coin toss. Especially since the powerplay is likely not going to be a factor this series, it’s gone a bit cold and the refs are just “letting them play”. At one or two chances a night it just won’t be a difference maker.

Reactions: MoontoScott

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad