Management Looking Back At Don Sweeney's Draft History

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
With the NHL Entry Draft two weeks away, I thought I would look back at the Bruins draft history under GM Don Sweeney.

We all know these first four have not been great. But things did start turning around in 2020. The new scouting department was almost entirely in place at that point.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
2015 was a long time ago and I don't trust my memory.

But I think Sweeney & Co. took the stage and made all 3 picks without returning to their draft table. If that's what they did, it's an egregious error in judgement and horribly arrogant. After drafting Zboril & DeBrusk, and planning on taking Shysensysnyn, I would think the phones would have been ringing to make a deal. Possibly an offer they couldn't refuse.

MattFromFranklin

Fire Sweeney and Neely
Jun 19, 2012
Franklin, MA
2015 was a long time ago and I don't trust my memory.

But I think Sweeney & Co. took the stage and made all 3 picks without returning to their draft table. If that's what they did, it's an egregious error in judgement and horribly arrogant. After drafting Zboril & DeBrusk, and planning on taking Shysensysnyn, I would think the phones would have been ringing to make a deal. Possibly an offer they couldn't refuse.
After re-watching the Behind The B video and the live draft coverage, it sounded like some team offered the Bruins 3 picks for the 15th overall. They bleeped out the name of the team, though. Their phone probably was ringing off the hook because teams were probably stunned at the stupidity of Sweeney and the scouts. A few years ago, a WPG fan posted a clip of Kevin Cheveldayoff caught on camera laughing at the DeBrusk and Senyshyn picks because he knew that Kyle Connor was going to fall to him. They were originally going to take Brock Boeser.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
After re-watching the Behind The B video and the live draft coverage, it sounded like some team offered the Bruins 3 picks for the 15th overall. They bleeped out the name of the team, though. Their phone probably was ringing off the hook because teams were probably stunned at the stupidity of Sweeney and the scouts. A few years ago, a WPG fan posted a clip of Kevin Cheveldayoff caught on camera laughing at the DeBrusk and Senyshyn picks because he knew that Kyle Connor was going to fall to him. They were originally going to take Brock Boeser.

We could have had Kyle Connor????

Where is my pitchfork & torch, I'm in the mood to storm Causeway Street. :rant:

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
With the NHL Entry Draft two weeks away, I thought I would look back at the Bruins draft history under GM Don Sweeney.

We all know these first four have not been great. But things did start turning around in 2020. The new scouting department was almost entirely in place at that point.

I'd say 2016 was a good draft.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub

Is there an organizational chart of the new scouting department and who does what?
It would also be interesting to see new positions vs positions swapped out with new personnel...

elMatador

Feb 20, 2008
Sweeney's trade downs on the draft day:

2015 5th round for 2016 5th round
2016 7th round for 2017 7th round
2020 7th round for 2021 7th round
2022 7th round for 2023 7th round

You might say "Who cares about some 5th or 7th rounder?"
Go ask the Wild who used that 5th rounder in 2015 to pick none other than Kaprizov, their repeat 40 goalscorer franchise player.

there could have been a core of Barzal, Chabot, Connor, Kaprizov
instead of DeBrusk, bust, bust, wasted pick

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
Sweeney's trade downs on the draft day:

2015 5th round for 2016 5th round
2016 7th round for 2017 7th round
2020 7th round for 2021 7th round
2022 7th round for 2023 7th round

You might say "Who cares about some 5th or 7th rounder?"
Go ask the Wild who used that 5th rounder in 2015 to pick none other than Kaprizov, their repeat 40 goalscorer franchise player.

there could have been a core of Barzal, Chabot, Connor, Kaprizov
instead of DeBrusk, bust, bust, wasted pick

Yea and if I just went and bought a lottery ticket last night I’d be a millionaire.

Flawless logic

Reactions: The don godfather

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
I'll never get over the horror show that was 2015.

I mean Zboril I can live with , I could see myself making that mistake .

Look at the 2 picks that followed . Barzal and Connor. I can't see myself making either of those mistakes. Me an another billion non biased hockey fans wouldn't have got those wrong, but somehow the Bruins did. This will always be the reason why among fans,DS is the Bomb, but for this miss judgement DS will be meh among those that know. Just to obvious , just to ridiculously off the mark.

bruinsfan1968

May 6, 2019
What a great thread, that tears off that giant scab for those who have moved on and those who haven't, well, it just throws gasoline on it!

Reactions: BMC

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Like a dog with a mouldy bone Bruins fans keep coming back to the 2015 draft. And it happens, even though we know it's not healthy to do so, because we all know what a blown opportunity it was. There are no guarantees in hockey, but get at least 2 of those 3 picks right and Boston's as close to a lock as you can be on getting at least 1 Cup in the following few years. As it was they only made 1 astute pick, and even then the 1 is a good player rather than great, and that just wasn't enough.

Which isn't to say that's the sole reason for subsequently falling short or to argue that they were doomed as a result. The 2019 team obviously came within a game and the 2020 and 2023 teams were also good enough to go all the way with a little better luck and execution at the right times. But it's pretty easy to see how an injection of the type of young talent that was on the board in 2015 but was passed by could have made the vital difference. It also hurt in other ways down the line because gaps that could have been filled in-house by emerging prospects instead had to be dealt with by overpaying for FAs or giving away future high picks in trades.

Every draft is a lottery, every GM has hits and misses, every year has stories of players who were overlooked by every other team only to emerge as stars with the franchise that took a punt on them. Some teams have done better than the Bruins in recent draft history, even once you give due consideration to Boston's relative paucity of high picks, but many have probably done worse. 2015 just hurts because the potential was so high and the consequences of screwing up were so severe.

But that's the way it goes. It's probably about now that the majority of any lingering consequences from that draft are fading away and it's firmly history. Can the fanbase also move on? Not counting on it!

Reactions: BMC

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Like a dog with a mouldy bone Bruins fans keep coming back to the 2015 draft. And it happens, even though we know it's not healthy to do so, because we all know what a blown opportunity it was. There are no guarantees in hockey, but get at least 2 of those 3 picks right and Boston's as close to a lock as you can be on getting at least 1 Cup in the following few years. As it was they only made 1 astute pick, and even then the 1 is a good player rather than great, and that just wasn't enough.

Which isn't to say that's the sole reason for subsequently falling short or to argue that they were doomed as a result. The 2019 team obviously came within a game and the 2020 and 2023 teams were also good enough to go all the way with a little better luck and execution at the right times. But it's pretty easy to see how an injection of the type of young talent that was on the board in 2015 but was passed by could have made the vital difference. It also hurt in other ways down the line because gaps that could have been filled in-house by emerging prospects instead had to be dealt with by overpaying for FAs or giving away future high picks in trades.

Every draft is a lottery, every GM has hits and misses, every year has stories of players who were overlooked by every other team only to emerge as stars with the franchise that took a punt on them. Some teams have done better than the Bruins in recent draft history, even once you give due consideration to Boston's relative paucity of high picks, but many have probably done worse. 2015 just hurts because the potential was so high and the consequences of screwing up were so severe.

But that's the way it goes. It's probably about now that the majority of any lingering consequences from that draft are fading away and it's firmly history. Can the fanbase also move on? Not counting on it!

Weren't they the only team since the '67 expansion to have 3 successive picks in the
entry draft that high?

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey

This isn't about 2015.

It is about the Bruins, who were the fourth best drafting team from 2007-2020 and had a scouting department that was basically non existent under Chiarelli (except for a couple of old boys club members like his brother) and brought it back to life. It took time.

Reactions: ON3M4N

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
I'll never get over the horror show that was 2015.

I mean Zboril I can live with , I could see myself making that mistake .

Look at the 2 picks that followed . Barzal and Connor. I can't see myself making either of those mistakes. Me an another billion non biased hockey fans wouldn't have got those wrong, but somehow the Bruins did. This will always be the reason why among fans,DS is the Bomb, but for this miss judgement DS will be meh among those that know. Just to obvious , just to ridiculously off the mark.
This goes back years before even Sweeney, in the Sinden days. Often they would reach for a player well ahead of where he was ranked, because for whatever reason Bruins brass always want to feel they are the smartest in the room.

Reactions: Kalus and BMC

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
This isn't about 2015.

It is about the Bruins, who were the fourth best drafting team from 2007-2020 and had a scouting department that was basically non existent under Chiarelli (except for a couple of old boys club members like his brother) and brought it back to life. It took time.

Oh I know. Your OP covers a broader period of time and your articles are as usual full of interesting info. Good stuff. My comment was more around the course of the thread discussion, which predictably mostly instantly focused in on 2015, as most draft-related conversations do. And no real criticism of that - I get it - just an observation on how large it continues to loom in the broader Bruins fan consciousness.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad