London Knights 2024-25 Season Thread, Part I

Random2152

Sep 26, 2023
It’s not trading a six year old…it’s trading a tangible asset
Feel free to live a little my friend!
Like come on, you can't really tell me that trading for a pick in 10 years - which will be used on a kid who is currently 6 isn't hilarious

Ferguson Jenkins

Jul 17, 2021
regardless of outcome. Oshawa wins that trade. They got a premium player for almost the entire season for a low cost. It’s a huge win for them.
How exactly is this a “low cost?”

8 players for 1 player with 1 year left. 2 of those bodies can grow into larger pieces for the Attack as soon as this year, depending how they develop. I thought Bedkowski held his own just fine last year as a 17 year old.

Then you’re left with 4 high draft picks and a couple of lottery tickets in rounds 5 and 7.

As others have stated, the limit on draft pick trades inherently places a higher value on draft picks that can be traded. I don’t mind this for the Attack, considering they had limited leverage with a public trade request.

After this move, Oshawa still has their work cut out for them to even get out of the East. Brampton looks to be the team to beat. And you know Marty will do a reverse mortgage on his house, rob Peter to pay Paul, finance a couch, and whatever else it takes to try to win in Barrie this year.

Last edited:

Ferguson Jenkins

Jul 17, 2021
John Tortorella’s thoughts on Oliver Bonk….

View attachment 911969

Sounds like we will be getting him back for sure and hopefully soon!
Regardless, it’s great that Oliver is staying this long in Philly. Same with Easton in Toronto and Kasper in the AHL.

I actively root for players to make the NHL or AHL because moving them up early has to mean that the development went exceptionally well in London or whichever OHL team they played for. It’s what keeps organizations chugging along and is more important for the brand than loading up on rentals for a championship run, I think.

On the other hand, if London is lucky enough to get Bonk, Cowan, and/or Halttunen back, the fans win by seeing more high end talent for another season.

Last edited:

LDN

Sep 29, 2017
Regardless, it’s great that Oliver is staying this long in Philly. Same with Easton in Toronto and Kasper in the AHL.

I actively root for players to make the NHL or AHL because moving them up early has to mean that the development went exceptionally well in London or whichever OHL team they played for. It’s what keeps organizations chugging along and is more important for the brand than loading up on rentals for a championship run, I think.

On the other hand, if London is lucky enough to get Bonk, Cowan, and/or Halttunen back, the fans win by seeing more high end talent for another season.
There is no doubt in my mind that Bonk and Cowan will be back!

Reactions: dino200022

TheOrangePylon

Jan 4, 2023
London, ON
On the banner topic, it’s nice to see Dave’s is so pristine and in order, but the team banners look like they’ve been produced and hung by a nervous, drunk wreck.
And where is the 2005 OHL championship banner? Fanbase waits 40 years for a championship, and it’s been gone from the rafters for years. Last I heard it was damaged when being moved (not surprising) but you’d think they’d have replaced it by now.
I agree with you 100%, the way the banners are hanging is borderline embarrassing. They are all crooked and going every which direction. They really need to clean them up and condense them, when you win, it produces lots of banners. I think they need to stop hanging division win banners and just keep the big ones up there and get them all hung straight and grouped nicely.

Also, I personally would like an overhaul of the retired banners, the design to me, just doesn't look good. I like a clean and classic look. Look at NHL teams, like the wings a clean classic look with the number and years played. Or if you want pictures of the guys, the leafs have a nice clean look.

That's my rant on banners, thanks Branch for stirring this up! haha

dino200022

Agreed, but the value is there for OSH. They are East favourites now

They may have moved the needle a bit, but in my eyes Brampton is still the East favourite.

I like Oshawa's back end better, Brampton has the better forward group from top to bottom. Oshawa might have a few of the higher end guys but lack the forward depth Brampton has. Brampton has the best goalie in the league.

Just my thoughts.

Ken Yates

Jan 15, 2019
I agree with you 100%, the way the banners are hanging is borderline embarrassing. They are all crooked and going every which direction. They really need to clean them up and condense them, when you win, it produces lots of banners. I think they need to stop hanging division win banners and just keep the big ones up there and get them all hung straight and grouped nicely.

Also, I personally would like an overhaul of the retired banners, the design to me, just doesn't look good. I like a clean and classic look. Look at NHL teams, like the wings a clean classic look with the number and years played. Or if you want pictures of the guys, the leafs have a nice clean look.

That's my rant on banners, thanks Branch for stirring this up! haha
I am still looking for Maruk banner!! Enough is enough i know he wasnt well liked but his stats are off the chart.

SteveCrow1

Aug 31, 2021
Ok On another topic, not too much has been posted on the prospect of Knights grad Isiah George making the Islanders roster this season. Upon checking today, he is listed on their roster, but what are the odds of him sticking, as opposed to being demoted to their Long Island AHL affiliate ?

I was of the opinion that he was the most underrated player on the Knights, last season. I realize that rookie d-men are few and far between who can make the jump from Junior directly to an NH roster. Maybe his selection by the Islanders was fortunate in that their defensive depth wasn't so great, and the result was an opening was there, when perhaps not so in other organizations. Defense is a position that normally requires more seasoning than forwards, so if Isiah does cement his position as a bona-fide NHL defenseman, my assessment as being an underrated player will be affirmed.

SteveCrow1

Aug 31, 2021
Islanders have a veteran defense so George is destined for a season or two in the AHL in Bridgeport, Connecticut. Lou Lamariello the Isles always has his favorites and newcomers must pay their dues before getting a shot at the NHL.

GoKnightsGo44

Aug 31, 2006
Looks very likely after last night that Robertson and Pacoiretti are ahead of Cowan and he should be returning with days.

Looks like Bonk is certainly coming back after a strong camp. Barkey once cleared to play.

For those Halttunen watchers, there are 18 forwards at Barracuda camp, Halttunen is the youngest and only 05. There was only one 04 on the team but time was split between the ECHL and AHL. I think the odds of Halttunen sticking are 15%.

We should have the full roster by next weekend.

As for tonight, we should be much better than last weekend with everyone getting a practice in and having time to settle into billets.

Thinking lineup something like:

Nichol O’Rielly Hawery
Van Gorp Julien Bidgood
Nurmi Read Arrowsmith
Van Bommel Gerber Boulton

Dickinson Brzustewicz
Woolley Leonard
Fagan Spencer
Jenken

Medvedev
Willmore

dino200022

I honestly think that San Jose is going to give Halttunnen every chance to succeed in the AHL and do not see him being sent back at this point.

I think the writing was on the wall when he was attached to the hip of Celebrini during rookie and main camp lines and games.

If he does come back it will be because he failed in the AHL, not because the San Jose organization is looking to send him back. If you go up and down that Barracuda lineup you do not see any real goal scorers so I see him having a 20-25 goal campaign as an AHL rookie.

Reactions: Wifi

GoKnightsGo44

Aug 31, 2006
Looks very likely after last night that Robertson and Pacoiretti are ahead of Cowan and he should be returning with days.

Looks like Bonk is certainly coming back after a strong camp. Barkey once cleared to play.

For those Halttunen watchers, there are 18 forwards at Barracuda camp, Halttunen is the youngest and only 05. There was only one 04 on the team but time was split between the ECHL and AHL. I think the odds of Halttunen sticking are 15%.

As for tonight, we should be much better than last weekend with everyone getting a practice in and having time to settle into billets.

Nichol O’Rielly Hawery
Van Gorp Julien Bidgood
Nurmi Read Arrowsmith

Dickinson Brzustewicz
Woolley Leonard
Fagan Spencer
Jenken

Medvedev
Willmore

Reactions: Fastpace

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
Northern Quebec ( Abitibi Québec)

Nichol O’Rielly Hawery
Van Gorp Julien Bidgood
Nurmi Read Arrowsmith

Dickinson Brzustewicz
Woolley Leonard
Fagan Spencer
Jenken

Medvedev
Willmore
100% in agreement here :thumbu:

ArielNederland

Jun 21, 2021

Nichol O’Rielly Hawery
Van Gorp Julien Bidgood
Nurmi Read Arrowsmith

Dickinson Brzustewicz
Woolley Leonard
Fagan Spencer
Jenken

Medvedev
Willmore
You don't think cowan will get a couple reg season games first?

Starry Knight

Tele-Wyatt
Jun 9, 2013
KW
I honestly think that San Jose is going to give Halttunnen every chance to succeed in the AHL and do not see him being sent back at this point.

I think the writing was on the wall when he was attached to the hip of Celebrini during rookie and main camp lines and games.

If he does come back it will be because he failed in the AHL, not because the San Jose organization is looking to send him back. If you go up and down that Barracuda lineup you do not see any real goal scorers so I see him having a 20-25 goal campaign as an AHL rookie.

The problem with Halttunnen is that he still struggles to create offence on his own and would probably be best served to continue to learn and develop that skill in juniors. Being a simple trigger man is not sufficient to stick in the NHL these days and you need to know how to carry the puck and use teammates.

The AHL can be a difficult league to develop in--especially as a teenager. Younger players often play more reserved and are stuck with lower-skill players than you'd want them to be.

dino200022

The problem with Halttunnen is that he still struggles to create offence on his own and would probably be best served to continue to learn and develop that skill in juniors. Being a simple trigger man is not sufficient to stick in the NHL these days and you need to know how to carry the puck and use teammates.

The AHL can be a difficult league to develop in--especially as a teenager. Younger players often play more reserved and are stuck with lower-skill players than you'd want them to be.

Well I agree with all of that, the San Jose brass has shown that they are willing to put up with any growing pains and he will be in the Barracuda's top 6 opening night based on his linemates during preseason games and practice line rushes.

If he craps the bed in a few of the Barracuda pre season games then he will be sent back.

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
For you Carter George fans…

Looks highly improbable. If he’s traded, it will be next year.
Or, could he also mean, he's sending a message to other GMs, sweet the pot way more if you want his services. If Carter George is not in his plan beyond this season, you'd think he'd listen a little more to some serious offers. IMHO

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
Well I agree with all of that, the San Jose brass has shown that they are willing to put up with any growing pains and he will be in the Barracuda's top 6 opening night based on his linemates during preseason games and practice line rushes.

If he craps the bed in a few of the Barracuda pre season games then he will be sent back.
If San Jose are happy with Halttunnen's progress over a year ago, they could have a lot of confidence in Dale and Mark to trust him for one more season. My gut feeling says he'll stay in AHL thought

dino200022

If San Jose are happy with Halttunnen's progress over a year ago, they could have a lot of confidence in Dale and Mark to trust him for one more season. My gut feeling says he'll stay in AHL thought

I agree, he is going to get every opportunity to be a Barracuda this year. He will only be back because things are not working out in San Jose, they will not be sending him back out of the goodness of their hearts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad