London Knights 2023-2024 Season Thread (Part 8)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
Usa
The fact Brantford Bulldogs is not mentioned is a total shock, they will be right up there with Guelph fighting it out with top teams. Kitchener should be doing well with the team coming back, however they have little room to tweak their team with an empty cupboard. Oshawa, London, and Brampton will also be present near the top, and it appears to be highly intriguing for the upcoming season.

Reactions: zman77

SteveCrow1

Aug 31, 2021
Screenshot_20240726-171945_Facebook.jpg

LDN

Sep 29, 2017
Nurmi-Cowan-Halttunnen
Nicholl-O’Reilly-Barkey
Van Gorp - Sim- Boulton
Johnston-Arrowsmith-Van Bommel

Upfront need 1 high end winger and 1 good sized physical bottom 6 winger

Dickinson-Bonk
Woolley-Leonard
Jenken-Brzustewicz
Fagen

D is pretty set in my opinion

Willmore
Medvedev
Wilson

Might need to add here

Reactions: Fastpace

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
Usa
Nurmi-Cowan-Halttunnen
Nicholl-O’Reilly-Barkey
Van Gorp - Sim- Boulton

Dickinson-Bonk
Woolley-Leonard
Jenken-Brzustewicz
Fagen

Willmore
Medvedev
Wilson

Might need to add here
Must have a minimum one rookie in your lineup, it's possible the rule could have been changed to two now (?) Teams can have up to four for the season

I also think Brzustewicz after the holiday break will take the number 3 spot and Woolley will move back to number 5, with lots of ice time on both special teams

Woolley is on a progressive development schedule, I see him as a top two D for the 25-26 season with Brzustewicz, in his last year of junior

I like your lineup for this upcoming season, looks promising

Last edited:
Reactions: LDN

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
Usa
I worry about losing Dickinson this year, he's that close, defensively and offensively combined with his poise makes him almost prime for NHL level hockey. The fact it's San Jose that drafted him, a young team in rebuilding mode, wanting their young players growing together as a team with first overall pick Celebrini at the top of the lineup. It might be wise for London management to start planing as if Dickinson is not coming back, if he comes back, bonus. IMHO

GoKnightsGo44

Aug 31, 2006
I worry about losing Dickinson this year, he's that close, defensively and offensively combined with his poise makes him almost prime for NHL level hockey. The fact it's San Jose that drafted him, a young team in rebuilding mode, wanting their young players growing together as a team with first overall pick Celebrini at the top of the lineup. It might be wise for London management to start planing as if Dickinson is not coming back, if he comes back, bonus. IMHO
you are on crack, San Jose is very deep with prospects and 6 D under contract for the next two years. Dickinson comes back and Haltunnen looks like a good possibility of returning. Any other team maybe a chance but not with the Sharks. Look at their depth:

Wifi

Sep 21, 2023
Nurmi-Cowan-Halttunnen
Nicholl-O’Reilly-Barkey
Van Gorp - Sim- Boulton

Dickinson-Bonk
Woolley-Leonard
Jenken-Brzustewicz
Fagen

Willmore
Medvedev
Wilson

Might need to add here
Even though most years hunter rotates his top players through the top couple of lines. If Cowan is back this year we could see a true #1 line of Cowan, Barkey, Halttunnen. Nurmi is a good addition with a strong chance at going pro in the future but Barkey will be a better junior player this season.

As for the bottom 6, expect some changes. With Gerber & Bidgood pushing for a spot, Van Bommel & Johnson are at risk of loosing their spots. Hard to give development time to 18 & 19 y.o. players on the 4th line when a 17 y.o. player can fill the same roll. Add in the possibility of some kid showing up to camp that none of us have heard about, and the potential of a higher drafted 16 y.o. having a strong camp.

Should be another good year!

Reactions: rve24

tjziel

Nov 20, 2012
London
Barkey - Julien - Sim
Nurmi - O’Rielly - Halttunen
Van Gorp - Nichol - Arrowsmith
Boulton - Hawery - Gerber
Extra: Bidgood

Dickinson - Bonk
Woolley - Brzustewicz
Jenken - Fagan

Willmore
Medvedev

I think the Knights are in a weird spot because they need to develop the next wave for after the Oliver Bonk, Denver Barkey, and Easton Cowan era is gone.

That means they will look for Jared Woolley and Henry Brzustewicz to enter into the top 4 and be reliable. I expect big jumps from them. Now no one can replace Isaiah George, but I’m hoping they take big jumps in their sophomore season. I wouldn’t be surprised if Jenken and Fagan take a big step after lighting up Jr. B. Fagan reminds me of Jackson Edward, so it will take a bit to round out his game properly, and there will be some learning curves and some soft spots in his game. Jenken with more years of development could be be I George without the skating prowness.

Next keep an eye out for Blake Arrowsmith. I expect he can enter into our top 9 and could be a second round NHL draft. Look for him to challenge to get more playing time.

If we get back Easton Cowan that will be our big deadline acquisition. I don’t see us trading for anyone big this year unless it’s a goalie….

Reactions: sbpointer

dino200022

I can't see Cowan being back, solely because of his cheap CAP hit that he will bring to the Leafs which they need desperately. Helps that he is capable of playing in any role the Leafs see fit as well.

I have seen the potential in Nicholl and could see him being or close to being a PPG guy this season. Selfishly want to see Halts and Nurmi both on the team but I have a feeling one of the two are sticking with an AHL club.

Defence should once again be the strongsuit, with Dickinson and Bonk playing 25-30 a night. Maybe even Edward being sent back for one more year as an OA?

Goaltending currently is a big question mark. Do we use an OA spot on Wilmore if so who draws the short stick ( Sim, Leonard ?). Or maybe we see Finn or Alexei take the reins ala Brochu?

Reactions: frontsfan67 and LDN

LDN

Sep 29, 2017
you are on crack, San Jose is very deep with prospects and 6 D under contract for the next two years. Dickinson comes back and Haltunnen looks like a good possibility of returning. Any other team maybe a chance but not with the Sharks. Look at their depth:

I just think Dickinson is not quite there yet ready for the NhL and that is okay

I can't see Cowan being back, solely because of his cheap CAP hit that he will bring to the Leafs which they need desperately. Helps that he is capable of playing in any role the Leafs see fit as well.

I have seen the potential in Nicholl and could see him being or close to being a PPG guy this season. Selfishly want to see Halts and Nurmi both on the team but I have a feeling one of the two are sticking with an AHL club.

Defence should once again be the strongsuit, with Dickinson and Bonk playing 25-30 a night. Maybe even Edward being sent back for one more year as an OA?

Goaltending currently is a big question mark. Do we use an OA spot on Wilmore if so who draws the short stick ( Sim, Leonard ?). Or maybe we see Finn or Alexei take the reins ala Brochu?
I see them sending him back. They don’t want to mess I’m up. He won’t be back till Nov dev or Jan

Reactions: dino200022

LDN

Sep 29, 2017
Any news on Hawery?

Any other Draft picks that want to sign?

tjziel

Nov 20, 2012
London

I don’t see Cowan back either…

If Nichol gets stronger and develops a bit more skill to his game, then I can see him challenging to be ppg guy. Last season he was just a grinder and energy guy, so he would have to shift his game into something different.

Out of the two imports, I see Halttunen in the AHL. He can physically handle playing against men with his frame and he has served his purpose in London working on his board play and learning the smaller NA ice. Nurmi will most certainly be here, because he needs learn what Halttunen learned.

I don’t see Jackson Edward being back and if by the odd chance he is, I could see the Knights trading him, not because they couldn’t use him, but to stock the draft cupboards a little more and we already have a logjam of players vying for defensive playing time.

I secretly want the Knights to trade for Dominic DiVincentiis rights. They won’t do it out of respect to Willmore unless he really fumbles the starter role cuz trading for his rights could distract Willmore, but that’s the only goalie that is available that would certainly be an upgrade to Willmore that is worth it and not a crazy amount of draft capital.

Who knows maybe they trade for his rights and then DiVincentiis finds out that he’s traded to London and wants another crack at an OHL title and then wants to come back for a final year. Wishful thinking though lol!

Last edited:

TheOrangePylon

Jan 4, 2023
London, ON
I'd love for him to prove me wrong, but I just don't see Willmore being a number 1 in this league on a championship team. He has had great games for sure and can be a steady goaltender. To me though, his play in game is inconsistent and sloppy. It also seems very risky to burn an OA spot on a guy who has less then 30 games played in the league.

Personally, I would rather see them move Willmore to a team where he can try to be that number 1 and keep one of the other pending OA's, I think Medvedev or Willson or Gatto could do what Willmore will provide, while not buring on OA spot. Then, if those guys aren't doing the job, acquire a goalie via trade.

I love Willmore's story and would love to see him succeed in his hometown, I just think on a team that could win another championship, those OA spots are better used elsewhere.

Reactions: dino200022

dino200022

I'd love for him to prove me wrong, but I just don't see Willmore being a number 1 in this league on a championship team. He has had great games for sure and can be a steady goaltender. To me though, his play in game is inconsistent and sloppy. It also seems very risky to burn an OA spot on a guy who has less then 30 games played in the league.

Personally, I would rather see them move Willmore to a team where he can try to be that number 1 and keep one of the other pending OA's, I think Medvedev or Willson or Gatto could do what Willmore will provide, while not buring on OA spot. Then, if those guys aren't doing the job, acquire a goalie via trade.

I love Willmore's story and would love to see him succeed in his hometown, I just think on a team that could win another championship, those OA spots are better used elsewhere.

I agree 100%, worst case I have no issues with him hanging around in case one of the young fella's can't get the job done but I feel that the OA slots are best served elsewhere.

tjziel

Nov 20, 2012
London
Willmore shouldn’t be our starting goalie if it becomes a championship year, but this years goalie crop is really weak. That’s why we better hope Finn Wilson or Medvedev are ready to take a huge jump.

The top goalies are all on contending teams like Leenders, Oster (OA). Even Leenders wouldn’t go anywhere without a huge return. I expect Hillebrandt to be top goalie this year as well, but Barrie will be contending so he’s not on the market. Same with Flint and Nathan Day. Didn’t Flint load up this offseason?

Carter George would cost us an arm and a leg and OS has no incentive to trade with us. There would be bigger packages from other teams if he was indeed somehow on the block.

Schenkel, Oke or Mackenzie are all OA’s and don’t necessarily move the needle to say there are light years better than Willmore. Can’t say those are exclusive Championship goalie. I know Oke has one..

The one goalie I would consider is Dominic DiVincentiis or if we had to Jackson Parsons but I don’t think the Rangers would trade with us at all so that’s why I keep hoping for the Dominator.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheOrangePylon

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
The one goalie I would consider is Dominic DiVincentiis or if we had to Jackson Parsons but I don’t think the Rangers would trade with us at all so that’s why I keep hoping for the Dominator.
Divinctiis won’t be back lol. He is signed and he is going to be 20. He will be in the AHL 100000%

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Believe this is correct but didn’t check every single player

The last OHL “Player Of The Year” to play in the ohl after winning league MVP was 15 years ago- Cody Hodgson. Statistically speaking the odds are not in favour of Cowan returning so I’m not sure why so many people think it’s for certain ESPECIALLY with Toronto and their situation. They need players to win NOW. Cowan is cheap and may be able to play in the top 6.

2023-24: Easton Cowan (London)
2022-23: Matthew Maggio (Windsor)
2021-22: Wyatt Johnston (Windsor)
2019-20: Marco Rossi (Ottawa)
2018-19: Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen (Sudbury)
2017-18: Jordan Kyrou (Sarnia)
2016-17: Alex DeBrincat (Erie)
2015-16: Mitchell Marner (London)
2014-15: Connor McDavid (Erie)
2013-14: Connor Brown (Erie)
2012-13: Vincent Trocheck (Plymouth)
2011-12: Michael Houser (London)
2010-11: Ryan Ellis (Windsor)
2009-10: Tyler Seguin (Plymouth)
2008-09: Cody Hodgson (Brampton)

Reactions: Fastpace

tjziel

Nov 20, 2012
London
Divinctiis won’t be back lol. He is signed and he is going to be 20. He will be in the AHL 100000%
I’ve already explained in a previous post that he likely won’t be back.

Man, it’s annoying when people just come to another teams board just to try and correct people. Not to mention that all they took from the post. SMH.

I guess it’s time to hit the ignore button again.

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
Usa

Describe crack, for me, sounds like someone here seems to know what that stuff is ;)

Of course, San Jose have lots of prospects, what would it mean if Dickinson would happen to get ahead in his development than they are? It's not about who is on the list first, it's about at what level of development they are at that time

• Haha
Reactions: Knights77

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
Usa
Believe this is correct but didn’t check every single player

The last OHL “Player Of The Year” to play in the ohl after winning league MVP was 15 years ago- Cody Hodgson. Statistically speaking the odds are not in favour of Cowan returning so I’m not sure why so many people think it’s for certain ESPECIALLY with Toronto and their situation. They need players to win NOW. Cowan is cheap and may be able to play in the top 6.

2023-24: Easton Cowan (London)
2022-23: Matthew Maggio (Windsor)
2021-22: Wyatt Johnston (Windsor)
2019-20: Marco Rossi (Ottawa)
2018-19: Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen (Sudbury)
2017-18: Jordan Kyrou (Sarnia)
2016-17: Alex DeBrincat (Erie)
2015-16: Mitchell Marner (London)
2014-15: Connor McDavid (Erie)
2013-14: Connor Brown (Erie)
2012-13: Vincent Trocheck (Plymouth)
2011-12: Michael Houser (London)
2010-11: Ryan Ellis (Windsor)
2009-10: Tyler Seguin (Plymouth)
2008-09: Cody Hodgson (Brampton)
Interesting stats, Thank You

I'd say, it all depends on who of the top 4 stay with the team at the start of the season, they may not have room for Cowan on the top 6 forwards. He needs to play a lot at this age, for him to progress some more, or it'll be a wasted year of development In my humble opinion. Cheers!

It's a good plan, I like it

We should also consider goalies are late boomers in their development, it is possible we could see Willmore entering this season in his prime time as well. Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad