London Knights 2023-2024 Season Thread (Part 8)

GoKnightsGo44

Aug 31, 2006
Regarding Easton Cowan for the Leafs:

"I think he's going to make a push [to earn a spot in the NHL]. I think t's always hard to take that jump from junior to the NHL. That's a pretty big step, but he's proven everybody wrong at every level, so I don't put it past him.

He's going to have to come into camp, and really, the defensive aspect of the game will be key for him to be able to check and stay up to the pace of the play, not just the offensive side of the game, but, I mean, he's very close and it will be exciting to watch." - Haley Wickeneiser
That is a fair assessment, i expect him back after juniors. The physically of the last half of the NHL season into playoffs separates men from boys. No slight on Cowan but I don’t know if he can add that much strength in such a short period of time.

Reactions: TheCoach

crowncarrier

My father hung me on a hook once....once.
Apr 10, 2015
Regarding Jesse Nurmi:

He is good, but will get better development coming to the OHL learning playing a NA style and come out as a better polished player playing in his own age group and gaining some confidence. That is key because Jesse Nurmi only put up 2 pts in 18 games in the Finnish Men’s league. Sometimes NHL teams want their players to fill the net more so their prospects can get
more confidence for the next level. Or maybe Nurmi recieved bottom 6 minutes while playing overseas and wasn’t allowed to consistently showcase his offensive skills with his limited icetime.

He played in Finland but didn’t seem to put up a lot of points playing with men, so sometimes that stunts players development

Playing in the AHL or overseas amongst men before you are ready can hinder development. Think Kasper Halttunen. Believe it or not, Halttunen only put up 1 assist in 23 games (although he got injured) in the Finnish Elite League with men. Scouts wanna see you thrive or put up points. So San Jose already seen that Halttunen struggled a bit against men in the Finnish Elite League, so no point in bringing him over to NA to play with men in the AHL, so it only made sense to send Halttunen to London. Same goes with Nurmi……

It’s just logical sense.

I will bet anyone $20 that Jesse Nurmi never even sees an AHL game. I am 100% positive though. Not even Kasper Halttunen played an AHL game last year, and he might be better than Nurmi so….
Kasper was not eligible for AHL last year.

tjziel

Nov 20, 2012
London
Kasper was not eligible for AHL last year.
Yes he was. He was drafted in Finland and then signed an ELC, so then San Jose had the option to keep him the NHL, send him to the AHL, or OHL.

If you an import that came over to NA and THEN drafted while on an CHL team, players are subject to the CHL-NHL agreement, meaning it’s NHL or CHL until the player turns 20.

Last edited:

TheOrangePylon

Jan 4, 2023
London, ON
I could list several as tougher that could not really be argued.
There probably was none more violent than Sawyer. I think the scariest fighter was Roobroek.
Roobroek definitely has the size to be scary and he has fighting skill. Can't argue that one.
Who else would you list?

Just for the record, I am not saying Boulton is or isn't the toughest. I was genuinely curious who people thought was tougher, I think Boulton is definitely in the discussion, he didn't lose a fight all year and took on some tough guys.

I also think McCue could be in the discussion, but he is more of a middleweight. In his weight class, I think McCue is top of the list, but against bigger guys he struggled.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Roobroek definitely has the size to be scary and he has fighting skill. Can't argue that one.
Who else would you list?

Just for the record, I am not saying Boulton is or isn't the toughest. I was genuinely curious who people thought was tougher, I think Boulton is definitely in the discussion, he didn't lose a fight all year and took on some tough guys.

I also think McCue could be in the discussion, but he is more of a middleweight. In his weight class, I think McCue is top of the list, but against bigger guys he struggled.
McCue gave out too many cheap shots, and went down hurt or embellished or dive to be considered one of the tougher imo.
Anania, Arnsby, Christopolous, Federkow, … Pitre, VanSteensel, … are all tougher middle weights in my view

Reactions: TheOrangePylon

TheOrangePylon

Jan 4, 2023
London, ON
i think most of the time the opposition coach would ask pp1 to get ready.
He didn't actually take that many penalties that would put the team down a man, in 40 games he had 63 PIMS with 6 fights, so 30 of the PIMS are offsetting right away. So 33 PIMS in 40 games and without doing a big deep dive of research, I am sure some of those were off setting scrums etc.

Yes, he took some bad penalties, but he didn't take a stupid penalty every time he was on the ice.

Just playing devils advocate.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
He didn't actually take that many penalties that would put the team down a man, in 40 games he had 63 PIMS with 6 fights, so 30 of the PIMS are offsetting right away. So 33 PIMS in 40 games and without doing a big deep dive of research, I am sure some of those were off setting scrums etc.

Yes, he took some bad penalties, but he didn't take a stupid penalty every time he was on the ice.

Just playing devils advocate.
I know, im just making a joke.

zman77

Oct 1, 2015

London Knights land Finnish winger, Russian centre in import draft​

Kasper Halttunen’s big scoring season with the London Knights is still paying off
The Knights selected 19-year-old Finnish left winger Jesse Nurmi with the 58th selection in the Canadian Hockey League import draft Wednesday.
The New York Islanders fourth-round pick (113th overall) in 2023 is a good pal of Halttunen and has heard only great things about the reigning OHL champs.
“Whenever you have a player who comes in, enjoys the environment and has a friendship with another player, that (friend) will immediately trust what they are saying more,” London associate GM Rob Simpson said. “It gives you a leg up with the player you’re trying to recruit.”
The Knights feel Nurmi, a six-foot, 172-pounder from Valkeala, Finland, has world junior potential this season. He played in the Finnish men’s league with the wonderfully named KooKoo Kouvola squad and also racked up four goals and eight points in six games with the U20 club team.

Reactions: tjziel and Fastpace

LDN

Sep 29, 2017
Jackson Edward is a bit of a TikTok star.
Check out the bruin most recent TikTok

GoKnightsGo44

Aug 31, 2006
From Simpsons remarks in the freeps, looks like the door is not closed for either Gaz or Halttunen.

Should be in good shape if both Import spots are filled.

Hopefully we start to see some signings stream in.

Reactions: LDN

ktownfan

Apr 28, 2022
Just curious, who was tougher then him in the O last year?
I would say that Xhekaj was right there, and Stewart also. Boulton got run over by Stewart in a game later in the s3eason and did nothing about it. This was his opportunity to have another fight with him. But nothing. Their fight was I think the best one in the league this year. I would put Roobroek up there too. Anyway, good luck to the kid

Reactions: LDN

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad