London Knights 2023-2024 Offseason Thread (Part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

crowncarrier

My father hung me on a hook once....once.
Apr 10, 2015
Section 111
How many of those were cooked deals tho lol. Quite a few. Some of those big ones were decade + ago too.

It isn't an insult Mark has clearly just gone the system over star player route lately. Doesn't go for the "big dog" but goes for the 2nd & 3rd tier guy & it tends to work out & they keep those extra assets others spend which leads to always being good.
Mark does his bigger deals before everyone else. He's not a big spender usually at trade deadline as he's already put those pieces into place. Like I said Dickinson and Brzustewicz were recent and were big pickups that were not cheap.

tjziel

Nov 20, 2012
London
Mete, Dickinson, Brzustewicz and Domi were all defective players who wanted to play for London so they forced their way on. Not quite the same as the Rehkopf situation because we at least get 3 years out of them as opposed to just one…. So the value for the amount of picks was worth it. Also, every time we traded for a defective player, we got a chip with them.

McMichael was traded for Robert Thomas so that was a wash.

I’d hardly say Diaco or Winterton were big game hunting….

Mitchell Stephens was a Rob Simpson move. Not Mark unfortunately.

Kadri was a weird trade.

And those other trades were circumstancial to us hosting the Mem Cup that year. Similar to Saginaw loading up when they were hosting. If they weren’t hosting, I doubt he goes big game hunting.

Tavares and Del Zotto are your only argument and we all know how that turned out. I don’t regret it cuz I love Tavares but still…

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Huh.....these are just off the top of my head. And I know I'm missing a bunch. Mark pulls the trigger when needed and we paid alot for Dickinson and Brzustewicz and those are recent.

Tavares
Mete
Schremp
Girardi
Stevens
Dennis
Domi
Del Zotto
Kadri
McMichael
Winterton
Diaco
Dickinson
Brzustewicz
He doesn’t do 5 picks and a player for a rental. That’s why they won’t do a player and 5 picks for ando.

didn’t they trade for mcmichael when he was 16? A lot of these kids were 16? That’s not the context of the comment

Mete, Dickinson, Brzustewicz and Domi were all defective players who wanted to play for London so they forced their way on. Not quite the same as the Rehkopf situation because we at least get 3 years out of them as opposed to just one…. So the value for the amount of picks was worth it. Also, every time we traded for a defective player, we got a chip with them.

McMichael was traded for Robert Thomas so that was a wash.

I’d hardly say Diaco or Winterton were big game hunting….

Mitchell Stephens was a Rob Simpson move. Not Mark unfortunately.

Kadri was a weird trade.

And those other trades were circumstancial to us hosting the Mem Cup that year. Similar to Saginaw loading up when they were hosting. If they weren’t hosting, I doubt he goes big game hunting.

Tavares and Del Zotto are your only argument and we all know how that turned out. I don’t regret it cuz I love Tavares but still…
that what I thought, the Tavares trade was the only big game hunting type of trade

rve24

Oct 26, 2022
maybe. i think rob Simpson did that one thou
I'm sure he got permission lol.

I agree though. Mark buys big early and gets much more value than prices paid for rentals.in last 10 years give or take.
I like it. They've pivoted since they bought the team how they've acquired n used assets, built teams.
They've won an OHL with only adding a bug n Nellis fav 6th D lol. They've done it adding larger pieces.
They've added defective players, they've traded up in the import draft when you could, they've fostered relationships for Euro picks and convinced the odd flyer pick to show up, they've added good players in Sept. to have players all year instead of rentals.
But they've also called bluffs that didn't work out, flyers that didn't sign, made poor selections in hindsight.
All part of the game. No one is near perfect in this game but I appreciate istr being an aggressive management which can show up in many ways.

Ferguson Jenkins

Jul 17, 2021

I agree though. Mark buys big early and gets much more value than prices paid for rentals.in last 10 years give or take.
I like it. They've pivoted since they bought the team how they've acquired n used assets, built teams.
They've won an OHL with only adding a bug n Nellis fav 6th D lol. They've done it adding larger pieces.
They've added defective players, they've traded up in the import draft when you could, they've fostered relationships for Euro picks and convinced the odd flyer pick to show up, they've added good players in Sept. to have players all year instead of rentals.
But they've also called bluffs that didn't work out, flyers that didn't sign, made poor selections in hindsight.
All part of the game. No one is near perfect in this game but I appreciate istr being an aggressive management which can show up in many ways.
Yeah. Really not an ideal business model bottoming out for 3-4 years for 1 shot at a good team in a market like London’s. Goal is to be competitive every year. Don’t understand why more teams don’t try to implement a version of this model. Understand it’s hard to copy entirely, but there are a shocking number of short sighted decisions every trading window.

Reactions: tjziel

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
Yeah. Really not an ideal business model bottoming out for 3-4 years for 1 shot at a good team in a market like London’s. Goal is to be competitive every year. Don’t understand why more teams don’t try to implement a version of this model. Understand it’s hard to copy entirely, but there are a shocking number of short sighted decisions every trading window.
Because you literally can't implement any version of it unless you recruit obscenely well every year. It's not a model. Its a one off and London is VERY good at it. 19/20 teams can be competitive for a 1-2 year window but then they have to reset. Unless you're London, if you try to be competitive every year, you're never competitive.

Reactions: frontsfan67

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017

100 percent, he’s smart as hell. Pay the same for 4 years as he does for 3 months. Now to be fair Dickinson called his short, so did others, but that’s not marks fault, he’s just taking advantage

Reactions: sbpointer and LDN

LDN

Sep 29, 2017
100 percent, he’s smart as hell. Pay the same for 4 years as he does for 3 months. Now to be fair Dickinson called his short, so did others, but that’s not marks fault, he’s just taking advantage
Who’s this years Dickinson / Brzustewicz?

LDN

Sep 29, 2017
Any word on what our draft cupboard looks like for the next 5 years?

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
I don’t think you guys should get your hopes up on this incoming defenceman. He may be big stature but he isn’t a big name player

Reactions: LDN

ArielNederland

Jun 21, 2021
There's the trade...
Yall beat me too it 😄
1000009609.jpg

jamemcca

Oct 6, 2014
Huh.....these are just off the top of my head. And I know I'm missing a bunch. Mark pulls the trigger when needed and we paid alot for Dickinson and Brzustewicz and those are recent.

Tavares
Mete
Schremp
Girardi
Stevens
Dennis
Domi
Del Zotto
Kadri
McMichael
Winterton
Diaco