London Knights 2023-2024 Offseason Thread (Part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Not trying to be annoying correcting lol but it’s ridiculous to think that a signed former goalie of the year- one that went to a team Canada camp is staying in the OHL for a 20 year old season. 0 point in mentioning Divinctiis that is just fairytale land. I get London needs a goalie but he’s not even going to be on the market.

That’s like me going out and saying oh Kingston should trade for Goyette because they need a 1C when Goyette won’t even be back.

Regardless of who London gets as a goalie- the team will be good like always

Reactions: dino200022

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
Not trying to be annoying correcting lol but it’s ridiculous to think that a signed former goalie of the year- one that went to a team Canada camp is staying in the OHL for a 20 year old season. 0 point in mentioning Divinctiis that is just fairytale land. I get London needs a goalie but he’s not even going to be on the market.

That’s like me going out and saying oh Kingston should trade for Goyette because they need a 1C when Goyette won’t even be back.

It's not out of the realm of possibility that he is sent back. Manitoba could have Millic and Comrie as their tandem. Might come down to whether the Jets think it's better to have him play in the ECHL or if an OA season is better.

dmead

Code Spelunker
Jan 12, 2018
London
ADam Dennis would be in the drivers seat on any DiVicentis deal. Would the Knights pony up a Kings Ransom?

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
It's not out of the realm of possibility that he is sent back. Manitoba could have Millic and Comrie as their tandem. Might come down to whether the Jets think it's better to have him play in the ECHL or if an OA season is better.
Comrie is on Rochester, so buffalos farm team.

The guy he would be going against as a backup would be Colin Delia who is 30 and over the last few years his numbers have been dwindling down as he “ages”

Gotta think Divinctiis that is 20 gets prioritized over a guy like that. Obviously won’t be the starter over Milic but likely plays backup.

Then year after when milic probably becomes the backup to hellebuyck- that may be why they only signed Kahkonen to a 1 year deal. And then when milic moves up, Divinctiis becomes the starter in the ‘A.

GoKnightsGo44

Aug 31, 2006
Lot of ifs and buts on the Divinctiis conversation though if he does come back, it won’t be a kings ransom. For an OA goalie is likely 2nd and a forth for the best available. Just the way the numbers roll out.

Reactions: LDN

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Lot of ifs and buts on the Divinctiis conversation though if he does come back, it won’t be a kings ransom. For an OA goalie is likely 2nd and a forth for the best available. Just the way the numbers roll out.
Yeah whatever Simpson went for is probably what it would be. Maybe a little more but not much extra

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
Yeah whatever Simpson went for is probably what it would be. Maybe a little more but not much extra
It was Zach Bowen and 3rd round draft pick. In a draft picks only trade that would have likely been a 2nd, 3rd and either another 3rd or a 4th.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
Comrie is on Rochester, so buffalos farm team.

The guy he would be going against as a backup would be Colin Delia who is 30 and over the last few years his numbers have been dwindling down as he “ages”

Gotta think Divinctiis that is 20 gets prioritized over a guy like that. Obviously won’t be the starter over Milic but likely plays backup.

Then year after when milic probably becomes the backup to hellebuyck- that may be why they only signed Kahkonen to a 1 year deal. And then when milic moves up, Divinctiis becomes the starter in the ‘A.
Comrie was on Rochester last season. He’s signed by the jets for 24-25. Dellia is on Bakersfield.

Reactions: frontsfan67

dino200022

No need to apologize...a bunch of us live in a fantasy land in London and like to treat the league like it is NHL 25.

I agree with you, highly unlikely that Dom is coming back...at worst he will be ECHL bound just like Cossa was a few years ago. Teams want these goalies getting used to the professional game at any level providing they are good enough, and I think we can probably all agree that he is good enough or why else would we want him so bad?

Reactions: LDN and frontsfan67

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
No need to apologize...a bunch of us live in a fantasy land in London and like to treat the league like it is NHL 25.

I agree with you, highly unlikely that Dom is coming back...at worst he will be ECHL bound just like Cossa was a few years ago. Teams want these goalies getting used to the professional game at any level providing they are good enough, and I think we can probably all agree that he is good enough or why else would we want him so bad?
I think there is a bit of a difference between Cossa and Divencentiis though. Detroit invested a first round pick into him and they had no real number 1 in the NHL or other prospect to be that number 1. They HAD to get him pro games as soon as possible, even if it was ECHL time. Jets have Hellebuyck til 2031. There is no rush with their goalie prospects. Plus Milic is on equal footing with Dom talent wise. I agree I wouldn't be surprised if Divencentiis got ECHL time but teams are also starting to let their mid level goalie prospects play out OA years more often now.

Matt93

Sep 30, 2005
Can our current goalies at least lace them up in training camp before you cast them away?

I've said it a million times....this is not EA Sports......the Knights will not have the best player at every position on the team!

sbpointer

Sep 15, 2014
Budweiser Gardens
I've said it before but it's worth saying again. I'm not sure why people aren't comfortable with the current goalie situation. Willmore has done everything this team has needed him to including being thrust into untenable situations two seasons in a row after playing mostly GOJHL minutes. I get the OA spot thing but IMO he is easily one of the top three most valuable OAs to this team barring something surprising.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Comrie was on Rochester last season. He’s signed by the jets for 24-25. Dellia is on Bakersfield.
My bad. You’re right. Just checked elite prospects. Got confused.
Comrie is around the same age though (29) so same thing could apply to comrie as it would to Delia.

I think there is a bit of a difference between Cossa and Divencentiis though. Detroit invested a first round pick into him and they had no real number 1 in the NHL or other prospect to be that number 1. They HAD to get him pro games as soon as possible, even if it was ECHL time. Jets have Hellebuyck til 2031. There is no rush with their goalie prospects. Plus Milic is on equal footing with Dom talent wise. I agree I wouldn't be surprised if Divencentiis got ECHL time but teams are also starting to let their mid level goalie prospects play out OA years more often now.
I agree. Cossa at the time he was drafted was looking like a much stronger prospect. Potentially starting goalie/elite goalie.

tjziel

Nov 20, 2012
London

Guys it not out of the realm that the Knights could acquire his rights. Y’all need to calm down.

There are plenty of times where teams have at least acquired the rights to an OA that is in the pros.

Just last year Saginaw acquired Luca Del Bel Belluz. Now, did he report, no he did not… but we can still acquire someone’s rights in hopes that they report.

Does anyone remember London acquiring the rights to Dante Salituro (who was on his NHL ELC) in his OA year and came back, acquired the rights to Sonny Milano, Jack Roslovic etc.

Heck Josh Bloom came back last year as an OA. You never know, but is it likely? No, but it’s definitely not Fantasyland.

I can stand my ground in my knowledge in the Knights.

sbpointer

Sep 15, 2014
Budweiser Gardens
Guys it not out of the realm that the Knights could acquire his rights. Y’all need to calm down.

There are plenty of times where teams have at least acquired the rights to an OA that is in the pros.

Just last year Saginaw acquired Luca Del Bel Belluz. Now, did he report, no he did not… but we can still acquire someone’s rights in hopes that they report.

Does anyone remember London acquiring the rights to Dante Salituro (who was on his NHL ELC) in his OA year and came back, acquired the rights to Sonny Milano, Jack Roslovic etc.

Heck Josh Bloom came back last year as an OA. You never know, but is it likely? No, but it’s definitely not Fantasyland.

This is a very valid post.
These deals are practically free to do so why not. It's the peak of low risk high reward.

dmead

Code Spelunker
Jan 12, 2018
London

😆 left out Joey Hishon. Never gets old....

dino200022

This is a very valid post.
These deals are practically free to do so why not. It's the peak of low risk high reward.

While this may be true, this deal makes absolutely zero sense from a North Bay Standpoint. They are still a 4th to 6th kind of team in the East and with Dom in net anything can happen for them come playoff time. They will not be shipping him our for cheap unless they have a pretty good inkling that he won't be back.

If you can get his rights for a mid rounder it might be worth the chance, but will have to pay out heavy if he is coming back for sure. North Bay has a few solid OA's that could be back so I do not see why they would not be trying to make another run with him if they know he is back.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
If you go and trade for a guy with conditionals I believe it locks those conditionals until the end of the year. So yeah they could make a trade for him but are you really willing to lock up a 2nd/3rd+ for a guy who has very very very minimal odds of coming back?? Wouldn’t it make sense to use those picks on a goalie like Sztuska who WILL be back and is still a top goalie in the league?

That’s my point- doesn’t make any sense to do that unless you have extra picks galore like Brantford/Brampton lol. Let’s face it- if Dickinson, Cowan, Bonk all come back again this year- that’s very lucky to get all 3. The odds are even slimmer the following year. Can’t take high risk moves in a year where you may be going for it again. I think you could absolutely be a top team in the west with an actual goalie again and an OA goalie makes the most sense- cheapest and you can use other picks to acquire whatever may be needed

Willmore is decent sure, but if he didn’t have Brochu/Simpson ahead of him and he played against the good teams would the results be the same? Probably not. Again I don’t watch every knights game like some of you but I would have to assume Brochu and Simpson over the last 2 years have played the majority of games, and the hard ones.

dino200022

If we are going to use up an OA spot on a tendy, I think Wilmore has earned the right to show us what he has. He has obviously proved he can win hockey games, especially in the playoffs so would rather keep the cupboard full instead of trading for a giant maybe and tying up a bunch of conditional picks like frontsfan is saying.

I fully expect Bonk and Dickinson to be back. George is as good as gone. Cowan, Julien Halts and Nurmi are the what ifs. If the 3 forwards come back do you stick with Sim as an OA or move him, he is just such a glue/playoff guy I think he stays?? Leonard on the back end has to be in the OA mix and is probably the one i would guarantee is on the roster.

Potential OA's
George - Not a chance he is back
Julien - I think it is AHL or bust for him. We have to remember he only has a year and a half of OHL exerience, one more might not hurt him at all if he is not in a top 9 AHL roll.
Sim - Would love to have him back if there is room as stated above. A lot will depend on if Julien is back. Only be back because he missed a season and a half due to injuries.
Leonard - Pretty much your typical OA guy as stated above
Wilmore - Not opposed to having him start the year to show what he has. Not a huge fan of using an OA slot on a goalie unless he is a difference maker ala Houser/Brochu/Simspson
S. Boulton - No thanks.
Edward - This is where it gets dicey, if he comes back big decisions have to be made. Physically he is next level ready, but mentally he is far from it. Love his tenacity and his defensive ability, I do not love his decision making with the puck, or his stupid after the whistle penalties...although I am sure Barkey and Cowan would say otherwise...

Reactions: sbpointer and LDN

LDN

Sep 29, 2017
Those with inside knowledge please provide some hints at some offseason juice

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
If he does come back, someone will offer more then London would I would think. Teams are hungry for goalies.

tjziel

Nov 20, 2012
London
While this may be true, this deal makes absolutely zero sense from a North Bay Standpoint. They are still a 4th to 6th kind of team in the East and with Dom in net anything can happen for them come playoff time. They will not be shipping him our for cheap unless they have a pretty good inkling that he won't be back.

If you can get his rights for a mid rounder it might be worth the chance, but will have to pay out heavy if he is coming back for sure. North Bay has a few solid OA's that could be back so I do not see why they would not be trying to make another run with him if they know he is back.
Meet Mike McIvor. As soon as he took the net for the playoffs, North Bay was still a threat. He literally stood on his head for NB some games, especially against Sudbury and most of the games against Oshawa.

North Bay had no reason to be in a Game 7 against Oshawa after coming back from 0-3. And lot of that was McIvor. One playoff game had Double OT and NB could have lost but McIvor stood on his head just enough for Ty Nelson to end it.

Also if North Bay are a middle of the pack team, tell me what does that do for them? They have no draft capital…. Even smart teams like London and North Bay will try to recoup draft picks for their extra players and if McIvor is more than capable, then Divencentiis is a good trade asset, especially if he were to somehow come back he would wanna go to a Championship contender and probably out of the East.

Now if North Bay just have DiVincentiis and their backups are unknown, then there is certainly no reason to trade him if he were to come back, but McIvor will be ready to take the net this season.

If there wasn’t a Mike McIvor you’d have a good argument lol!

dino200022

Meet Mike McIvor. As soon as he took the net for the playoffs, North Bay was still a threat. He literally stood on his head for NB some games, especially against Sudbury and most of the games against Oshawa.

North Bay had no reason to be in a Game 7 against Oshawa after coming back from 0-3. And lot of that was McIvor. One playoff game had Double OT and NB could have lost but McIvor stood on his head just enough for Ty Nelson to end it.

Also if North Bay are a middle of the pack team, tell me what does that do for them? They have no draft capital…. Even smart teams like London and North Bay will try to recoup draft picks for their extra players and if McIvor is more than capable, then Divencentiis is a good trade asset, especially if he were to somehow come back he would wanna go to a Championship contender and probably out of the East.

Now if North Bay just have DiVincentiis and their backups are unknown, then there is certainly no reason to trade him if he were to come back, but McIvor will be ready to take the net this season.

If there wasn’t a Mike McIvor you’d have a good argument lol!
You just contradicted yourself in your own arguement...You tell me that North Bay has no draft capital, yet earlier you have said London was going to get him for cheap and very little draft picks? If they have no draft capital, why are they trading one of their top assets for nearly nothing? I will add your quote below from your previous statement.

"but that’s the only goalie that is available that would certainly be an upgrade to Willmore that is worth it and not a crazy amount of draft capital."

North Bay is a solid run organization at this point, they do a lot with very little. We are not dealing with Niagara.

Reactions: LDN
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad