London Knights 2022 Off-season Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

BobHockey

Jul 9, 2015
With the way they have been drafting and past 3 years of mediocre on ice product I don't see the same fire in the hunters. Its almost like been there done that if it happens again great but not full press anymore for mem cups.
I am not quite sure how you can say the on ice product has been mediocre.

2021-22 - yes I agree the on ice product was mediocre
2020-21 - no season
2019-20 - when season was suspended the Knights had the second best record in the OHL. They were a good team that had a change to go deep

I think the Hunters still have the fire to win but so do all the other teams in the OHL and USJHL and NCAA. The Hunters have set the bar for the league and other teams have successfully followed their blueprint. I would prefer they mix up their secondary coaching staff every few years though and PLEASE get some better ideas for entertainment in the second intermission. Surely there are better ideas than the putting on the jersey race

He probably requested a trade with Windsor. Given what we know about his absence from the team last year, he probably wanted to play closer to home. The Hunters accommodated and had no leverage in the trade to get a better piece. Yes they could have probably got a better return from another team, but when you're managing a team in a developmental league for teenagers, you have to do what's best for them sometimes.
Yes, and unlike some other teams in the league the Hunters have been consistent in trying to help their young players find a spot to play when it's not working out for them in London.

BobHockey

Jul 9, 2015

2020-21 - no season
2019-20 - when season was suspended the Knights had the second best record in the OHL. They were a good team that had a change to go deep

I think the Hunters still have the fire to win but so do all the other teams in the OHL and USJHL and NCAA. The Hunters have set the bar for the league and other teams have successfully followed their blueprint. I would prefer they mix up their secondary coaching staff every few years though and PLEASE get some better ideas for entertainment in the second intermission. Surely there are better ideas than the putting on the jersey race

Yes, and unlike some other teams in the league the Hunters have been consistent in trying to help their young players find a spot to play when it's not working out for them in London.
Oh ... and time to find a new goal song and ditch Ric Flair lol

Ferguson Jenkins

Jul 17, 2021

2020-21 - no season

It’s an overreaction to say the last three years have been mediocre - agreed.

But when do these favours stop being applauded and called out for being poor management? You just turned a 25th overall pick in 2020 into a 4th round pick three years from now. Other GMs don’t have the luxury of “doing right by the player” once or all the other times London have because those types of trades leave you looking for a new job quickly.

Drafting and development need to be better.

Reactions: Knightsfan90

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
It’s an overreaction to say the last three years have been mediocre - agreed.

But when do these favours stop being applauded and called out for being poor management? You just turned a 25th overall pick in 2020 into a 4th round pick three years from now. Other GMs don’t have the luxury of “doing right by the player” once or all the other times London have because those types of trades leave you looking for a new job quickly.

Drafting and development need to be better.

london hasnt drafted well in a while. look at the successful picks, its guys like george who they convinced to play after they tell everyone hes going ncaa. i dont blame london for that, but thats not scouting, thats recruiting,m very different.

2019 they got malloux at 33, great value, outside of that? who was great value? even mccue may have been drafted a bit too high

2022 george was a get, but he was 1st round rated, outside of that? edwards will probably be good at where they drafted him, but look at who else they passed on ?

i dont know, i know that the knights have this great repuation, not sure its been earned lately.

Ferguson Jenkins

Jul 17, 2021
london hasnt drafted well in a while. look at the successful picks, its guys like george who they convinced to play after they tell everyone hes going ncaa. i dont blame london for that, but thats not scouting, thats recruiting,m very different.

2019 they got malloux at 33, great value, outside of that? who was great value? even mccue may have been drafted a bit too high

2022 george was a get, but he was 1st round rated, outside of that? edwards will probably be good at where they drafted him, but look at who else they passed on ?

i dont know, i know that the knights have this great repuation, not sure its been earned lately.
I agree with you. And the luxury of manipulating the draft will likely go away as all the good players have many options (better options) than major junior in Canada anyway.

Things change I guess.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017

Like you said, London is fantastic at recruiting. But at developing there are serious questions

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Like you said, London is fantastic at recruiting. But at developing there are serious questions
There is a question about whether a player and Dale Hunter can co-exist, but what are the serious questions about Dale Hunter’s ability to develop players?
With Birch in tow, Kitchener might have the best management team in the league. Burnett has had no issues recruiting in Guelph. The mid-west seems to have become the players’ choice rather than just London.

Reactions: three dog night

Travis Bickle 77

Feb 11, 2020
When do we hear about more signings for next year?

So far who is signed?

14 forwards: Testa(Rookie), Barkey, Paris, Cowan, McGurn (OA), O'Reilly(Rookie), Gilmartin, McCue, Gazizov (IMP), Smith?, Bujold, Crane, Sim, Kazbekov

8 Defense: Keane (OA), Mailloux, George, Edward, Federkow, Bonk, Lloyd, MacKinnon

3 Goalies: Brochu (OA), Flores, Willmore

Already a competitive team. Need some more stars to go all the way, but our assets are in tact. WOuld like to run with the young core...gonna be interesting though with our strong OA group...expect some big things from Mailloux, McCue, Gilmartin, George, Barkey, Cowan
Spitfires fan posting with no intent to start anything 😂 Do you think Brochu comes back for his overage year? Would be a huge asset if he does!! Looking at the Knights returning players not including draft picks or previous draft pics....I gotta say...Knights seem in good shape for the 2022-2023 season!! As for the Spitfires getting Smith yesterday....gotta say was not shocking. Local kid with obvious local ties to Windsor..... almost identical to the Spitfires getting Maggio from Ottawa s couple of years ago

Last edited:
Reactions: Section 103

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Knightsin ensimmäinen tuontivalinta, Kasper Halttunen, 6'3" Hyökkääjä, oikea laukaus, paras mahdollisuus vuoden 2023 draftiin. Meillä on ollut paljon parempi onni suomalaisten kanssa. Odotan innolla tämän lapsen pelaamista.
Halttunen was one of the best Finnish forwards in U18 WJC's this past April in Germany.
But his coming to London Knights is questinoable.

Halttunen has already signed pro hockey contract with HIFK Helsinki SM liiga team.
And those young Finnish players who are signed their first SM liiga contract rarely comes to OHL or even CHL.

Last edited:

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario
Thx for the update.
Interesting given that London’s 1st rd Import selections usually report. If you look at the notable exceptions, Peterka and Bratt, they both turned pro. Even Bratt showed up at the Knights mini camp in the summer. How long is his contract with Helsinki? If it's 1 year, could he be London bound in 2023?

Knightsfan90

Sep 17, 2014
Thx for the update.
Interesting given that London’s 1st rd Import selections usually report. If you look at the notable exceptions, Peterka and Bratt, they both turned pro. Even Bratt showed up at the Knights mini camp in the summer. How long is his contract with Helsinki? If it's 1 year, could he be London bound in 2023?
I believe his contract is 2 years but I could be wrong

Reactions: nelli27

ArielNederland

Jun 21, 2021
So either 1) he's most likely not coming at all or 2) london has an agreement with him and he will cancel or pull out of his current contract. I think its most likely #1 at this point

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
I believe his contract is 2 years but I could be wrong

Halttunen's contract with HIFK Helsinki SM liiga team is 2+1=3 years.
Contract's last year is player's / team's option.

Reactions: nelli27

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
So either 1) he's most likely not coming at all or 2) london has an agreement with him and he will cancel or pull out of his current contract. I think its most likely #1 at this point
Yeah scenario 1 looks now more likely.
But things and situation can change fast.

A lot is up on Halttunen's own commitment and is he ready to compete of his spot in HIFK's liiga team.
HIFK will not give free roster spots or key roles on junior players and if young player wants
to play in HIFK's liiga team he needs to prove himself first in preseason games and team practices.

tjziel

Nov 20, 2012
London
If there’s a small chance that Brett Brochu is back and I don’t think he will be but if he is we got to go for jt. It all depends on Brochu.

Is Adam Fantilli firmly committed to Michigan?? If he’s not, trading for his draft rights couldn’t hurt. Then if we can get Nazar to report which is probably more possible than us getting Fantilli, then we could form that “super line” again when we had Dvo, Tkachuk and Marner.

How bout a line of
Fantilli - Nazar - Halttunen

That would be interesting but it’s a pipe dream for sure.

Reactions: Drop the Puck

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario
If there’s a small chance that Brett Brochu is back and I don’t think he will be but if he is we got to go for jt. It all depends on Brochu.

Is Adam Fantilli firmly committed to Michigan?? If he’s not, trading for his draft rights couldn’t hurt. Then if we can get Nazar to report which is probably more possible than us getting Fantilli, then we could form that “super line” again when we had Dvo, Tkachuk and Marner.

How bout a line of

Yes, it is a pipe dream. I'm a realist, hope I'm not a dying breed.

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario
So I did a little digging... Given that the Import draft was watered down (no Russians or Belarusians), the top European talent was gobbled up in the early selections, so instead of taking a mediocre "Tim Bender" type of player, the Knights decided to swing for the fences and take Hulttanen, a projected 1st rd, top 10 pick in the 2023 NHL draft. If he arrives in London this season, great, if not then perhaps the following season. It's a gamble they hope pays off.
EDIT: Gazizov returning, Steklov signs with KHL, but Knights have not released him (he could possibly return as an OA) as per Ryan Pyette, LFP.

Last edited:

superdee

Oct 17, 2015
Still a little upset with return for Colton Smith but they need to get the Finnish kit to come over. He will get scouted here more and help his draft status playing in OHL. I hope whoever drafts Nazar wants him in the OHL

Reactions: Knightsfan90

Devin

Jul 25, 2018

How bout a line of

If this was 2014 I’d say all 3 will be there… but now I’m saying I agree pipe dream

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Yes, it is a pipe dream. I'm a realist, hope I'm not a dying breed.
Pipe dream or not but don't give up.
Yes for now it's possible Halttunen is not coming to London Knights next season.
But as i said earlier THINGS CAN CHANGE FAST so there is little hope
at least so long when fat lady sings last time.

Based on that what i'm read of Kasper Halttunen sounds that all SM liiga teams were chasing him.
But he self chose HIFK because he's Helsinki native and his father is junior hockey coach in Jokerit juniors.
Halttunen is also a minor he's only 17 years old so coming to OHL is not Kasper's own decision.

HIFK starts their pre-season early August but Halttunen probably miss first week of HIFK's preseason
because Halttunen has already selected U18 Team Finland Ivan Hlinka tournament roster.

Coming to London Knights is not only option what Halttunen has for next season.
He's under liiga contract with HIFK but there is also a chance for that HIFK loans Halttunen to mestis
where he can play men's games if he doesn't make HIFK's liiga team immeaditely.

HIFK has been most injury prone team in SM liiga last years.
So Halttunen can get his chance to play in SM liiga at some point next season if / when
HIFK once again faces huge amount of injuries as they have faced last 6-8 years.

Yes this all is for now pure speculation.
But lets wait and see what happens in August.
Have a nice summer.

ArielNederland

Jun 21, 2021
Just read an article from last week from Ryan pyette concerning gazizov. Apparently he has decided to stay and train in london through the summer. Good idea considering what has happened through the past week in russia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad