Rumor: Logan Stanley requests trade

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Stanley's case is an interesting one. People hated the pick from day one, being big has kind of become a negative in fans minds lately as a pendulum swing to the small player bias that's existed forever. Additionally, he has been seen as a blocker to a couple of prospect darlings.

In isolation, Stanley is actually a decent everyday bottom pairing guy.

He does have some positive such as pk ability, heavy shot, great reach and some meanness.

I think there could be more there if he continues to mature and can do a couple of things, specifically learn how to use his shot more effectively, improve his positioning and reaction times to plays, and use his mean steak and size a bit more effectively.

He's not a kid any more so the chances of him improving become less and less significant but is not beyond belief that he could, and if so he could be a very effective middle pair guy.

I'm trying to give an assessment removing situational bias - for those reasons I do think he has decent value on the market.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Stanley's case is an interesting one. People hated the pick from day one, being big has kind of become a negative in fans minds lately as a pendulum swing to the small player bias that's existed forever. Additionally, he has been seen as a blocker to a couple of prospect darlings.

He does have some positive such as pk ability, heavy shot, great reach and some meanness.

I think there could be more there if he continues to mature and can do a couple of things, specifically learn how to use his shot more effectively, improve his positioning and reaction times to plays, and use his mean steak and size a bit more effectively.

He's not a kid any more so the chances of him improving become less and less significant but is not beyond belief that he could, and if so he could be a very effective middle pair guy.

I'm trying to give an assessment removing situational bias - for those reasons I do think he has decent value on the market.
For me, I think is lack of mobility will always hold him back. He can sometimes make up for it with his reach, but he has a real problem containing players with speed.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
For me, I think is lack of mobility will always hold him back. He can sometimes make up for it with his reach, but he has a real problem containing players with speed.
I do believe you can mitigate that. You have to be pretty brave at certain pinch points in the ice though.

I've slowed down wth age but I feel like I am a more effective defense because I'm no longer scared to be aggressive in certain areas, while knowing when to own space in others to force those players into less dangerous ice.

That type of confidence takes time because there's always the fear of being exposed, you have to realize for yourself that it's the smartest play and have some success there to truly believe it.

You can't hesitate on those plays at all because talented players will take full advantage that second or two.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg

I actually didn’t mind him from day one, but trading that pick to get him brought out the torches from others.
I went back and forth with many over the years on what he would become, and he’s become exactly what I thought he’d be, a 6-7 guy with attributes as you listed above. Most thought he’d never play in the league. I think he holds some value to other GMs. I also think he’s got some offensive ability as far as his shot from the point. He’s got his warts and I hope we move him to make room for Heinola and Chisholm but I think he’s got value there in a sheltered role as a tough PK dman.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I actually didn’t mind him from day one, but trading that pick to get him brought out the torches from others.
I went back and forth with many over the years on what he would become, and he’s become exactly what I thought he’d be, a 6-7 guy with attributes as you listed above. Most thought he’d never play in the league. I think he holds some value to other GMs. I also think he’s got some offensive ability as far as his shot from the point. He’s got his warts and I hope we move him to make room for Heinola and Chisholm but I think he’s got value there in a sheltered role as a tough PK dman.

I didn't like the pick because I like going for upside in round 1 and like you figured his ceiling was what he is now.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
I didn't like the pick because I like going for upside in round 1 and like you figured his ceiling was what he is now.
It reeked of panic. The fact that Chevy couldn't close a deal to get Chychryn or Fabbro was bad enough... then we scrambled for whatever was left - except talent was so random in that draft there was no need to trade up... our scouts horribly misjudged the rankings

It really marked a turning point in our scouting - we haven't found a diamond in the rough for a long time - many teams did in 2016, we just were not one of them

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Carpentry ?
Electrician ?
Plumber ?
That’s what he’s going to be doing soon enough

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
I do believe you can mitigate that. You have to be pretty brave at certain pinch points in the ice though.

I've slowed down wth age but I feel like I am a more effective defense because I'm no longer scared to be aggressive in certain areas, while knowing when to own space in others to force those players into less dangerous ice.

That type of confidence takes time because there's always the fear of being exposed, you have to realize for yourself that it's the smartest play and have some success there to truly believe it.

You can't hesitate on those plays at all because talented players will take full advantage that second or two.
The problem for Stanley and Myers is that they don’t understand their own weaknesses.

Look at the guys Tampa brings in to play 3rd pairing at $1 M or less. All guys that were once top dogs or on that trajectory but finally realized they are role players and what that role is. Not sure Stanley is even good enough to bump into that role eventually if he simplifies his game…but Myers sure as hell could if he realizes he’s not (and not going to be) a 50 point D man.

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
I hated the pick at the time given we moved a late 1st and a high second to move up 7 or so spots especially given that many of picks from the late first to mid 2nd round have produced just as much or more than Stanley. And I hate it now.

Is Stanley a decent bottom-pairing d-man as in average? If you took the bottom 64 d-man in the league right now where would he rank? If he is below 40th or 45th than he is below average.

On his own maybe Stanley can get a late 2nd or 3rd. Can't see more than that.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
To a pylon?
1677886113640.png

of course you can

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad