Confirmed with Link: Logan Stanley 2 years 1.25 million

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I agree with your interpretation of that draft... but I would say that Stan got more chances early than samberg until the team was basically forced by sambergs play to promote him

I'm not seeing Stan win the one on one battles personally... but we will find out I suspect
for the chances early- samberg didn't sign until april 2020. stanley was coming off a solid cdn division year in 2021 and played majority of 21-22. do agree that samberg should've played more that year certainly b/c stanley was not good from what i remember but can see why stanley got to start the season. however, samberg has lapped him in gp since then (& deservedly so).

Last edited:

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
for the chances early- samberg didn't sign until april 2020. stanley was coming off a solid cdn division year in 2021 and played majority of 21-22. do agree that samberg should've played more that year certainly b/c stanley was not good from what i remember but can see why stanley got to start the season. however, samberg has lapped him in gp since then (& deservedly so).
I'll concede that Beaulieu blocked players more than Stan.. he did have potential at that point

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011

I don't see how any guy with an HF account can really say a player sucks, because to me that's shallow criticism...most of us have never even had a sniff at pro hockey. Defensemen are tricky to judge you look at the ark of careers like Desharnais or Alexander Carrier, taking over 5 years to become pros...some guys get jobs just because they've established a rep with a coach, that another player never had the opportunity to...you have guys like Capo who are NHL d-men one year, AHL d-men the next...Capo's demotion was a promotion for Declan Chisholm, who was a #8, looks like he could be a f/t player next season. Sometimes it's just the right opportunity and seizing it, like Ben Chiarot stepping up during injury to play a big minute role with Buff...I'd say there are 300+ d-men who could play in the NHL in any given season, just depends on circumstances when you get into that 6-9 range.
I agree 6-9 defensive players don’t suck. They are the depth tat is required.

I was just commenting on the incorrect math in a semi stats sarcastic way.

I wanted to keep Kovy around and dump Capo…. But Chevy protected the new free agent signing we had under contract instead of our draft and develop guy that we signed at league minimum Kovy for 3 years…

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
OK, we found the problem

I'm not responsible for what you think I'm implying. If I didn't say it explicitly, I didn't say it. Period. That, right there, is why I'm accusing you of putting words in my mouth

It also explains why you're so confused. You're arguing against what you *think* I'm saying, even though I've never said it. Like me being "anti-analytics". I've never ONCE said that I'm anti-analytics. Yet you read a post where I point out some limitations and flaws of stats and models and you think that I'm implicitly saying I'm against them, when I'm not at all

My position on those dmen is already explicitly stated. They're all interchangeable, bottom pairing/7-8 tweeners. Maybe Kovy and Chisholm are better than Stanley, but not by much... or at least not enough to be making the fuss that people do about it

I don't want to participate in this ongoing argument. I think it has become too personal. I appreciate your posts (most of the time) whether I agree or not. Same goes for the other guy.

But I want to jump in here about implications. Many times statements have implications beyond what is stated. They are inherent in the statement. The speaker can't disavow himself of the implications of what he said.

Reactions: Buffdog

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
I don't want to participate in this ongoing argument. I think it has become too personal. I appreciate your posts (most of the time) whether I agree or not. Same goes for the other guy.

But I want to jump in here about implications. Many times statements have implications beyond what is stated. They are inherent in the statement. The speaker can't disavow himself of the implications of what he said.
If you think someone is implying something, it's "Communication 101" to clarify by saying something like "are you implying ______" before just assuming that's what s going on. It would clear the air most of the time and that entire discussion we had would have been avoided

Reactions: Jets 31

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I agree 6-9 defensive players don’t suck. They are the depth tat is required.

I was just commenting on the incorrect math in a semi stats sarcastic way.

I wanted to keep Kovy around and dump Capo…. But Chevy protected the new free agent signing we had under contract instead of our draft and develop guy that we signed at league minimum Kovy for 3 years…
The league is full of 6-9 defensemen that bounce around from team to team all getting close to league minimum. Does it really matter if you drafted them or not? Seems much more efficient to pursue who you think are your best options when there is no are next to no acquisition costs, rather than be overly loyal to a player just because you called their name at age 18.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
If you think someone is implying something, it's "Communication 101" to clarify by saying something like "are you implying ______" before just assuming that's what s going on. It would clear the air most of the time and that entire discussion we had would have been avoided
Revisionist posting in full force here these days... groan.

• Haha

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
The league is full of 6-9 defensemen that bounce around from team to team all getting close to league minimum. Does it really matter if you drafted them or not? Seems much more efficient to pursue who you think are your best options when there is no are next to no acquisition costs, rather than be overly loyal to a player just because you called their name at age 18.
Seems to me that if you fall in that 6/9 grouping your stuck trying to break into the league while your on your ELC. Often unfairly relegated to the minors…after that … .If you have some up side you may be press boxed or kept around for fear of losing the asset to waivers Doug the 6/9 shuffle.

Heinola has to break into the 4-5 D man grouping this year!!!!

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
I'm not sure a man his size can do anything to "get quicker".

I remember the needlepoint hanging on my mother's wall before I left England that said: Once a pylon, always a pylon.
There is definitely training he can do to get quicker/more powerful. At his size it is harder for sure.But can be done if there is the will.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Seems to me that if you fall in that 6/9 grouping your stuck trying to break into the league while your on your ELC. Often unfairly relegated to the minors…after that … .If you have some up side you may be press boxed or kept around for fear of losing the asset to waivers Doug the 6/9 shuffle.

Hockey can be a cruel sport. The best get rewarded well. Most fight and claw for careers. Hell we just picked up a UFA d-man that was a top 10 pick still in his prime years on a league minimum 2-way contract. There are no guarantees in sports despite what Rutger thinks.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

You are missing my point. The implication may be entirely unintentional but it is inherent in what was said. The speaker cannot choose to avoid the implication. It happens all the time, literally. Almost anything you say or do will have implications.

In a more down to earth illustration, the mayor saying he is going to repair street X will carry the implication of lane closures. That will carry the implication of traffic congestion. The implications are inescapable.

The implications are not always that clear cut. The Jets signing Stanley to that contract would seem to imply that they plan on him being either #6, or #7/8. But the acquisitions of Fleury and Coghlan might imply there is going to be a competition for those spots. What that implies for Heinola is not certain. My guess would be that he is going to be a part of that competition.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Heinola has to break in this year. #6 would be fine at this point, just so he is playing regularly. But this has to be the year for him.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
You are missing my point. The implication may be entirely unintentional but it is inherent in what was said. The speaker cannot choose to avoid the implication. It happens all the time, literally. Almost anything you say or do will have implications.

In a more down to earth illustration, the mayor saying he is going to repair street X will carry the implication of lane closures. That will carry the implication of traffic congestion. The implications are inescapable.

The implications are not always that clear cut. The Jets signing Stanley to that contract would seem to imply that they plan on him being either #6, or #7/8. But the acquisitions of Fleury and Coghlan might imply there is going to be a competition for those spots. What that implies for Heinola is not certain. My guess would be that he is going to be a part of that competition.
Yeah, but that's not what happened

What happened was more akin to the mayor saying that they're gonna dig up the roads to fix them and someone accusing him of being a "road hater", since only someone who hates roads would destroy then

Then the mayor explicitly states that he likes roads, and the only wants to dig them up to make them BETTER, only to be accused of garbling words and then, again, being called a road-hater

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

What happened was more akin to the mayor saying that they're gonna dig up the roads to fix them and someone accusing him of being a "road hater", since only someone who hates roads would destroy then

Then the mayor explicitly states that he likes roads, and the only wants to dig them up to make them BETTER, only to be accused of garbling words and then, again, being called a road-hater

Sure, sometimes people fail to understand the implications correctly, or just chose to put words in the other guy's mouth. :laugh:

Like I said earlier, I don't want to get into that discussion at all, in any way.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011

What do you think the holdup is in Heinola getting a contract...he should get a one way contract...Niku did. Any chance he asks to be traded?

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
What do you think the holdup is in Heinola getting a contract...he should get a one way contract...Niku did. Any chance he asks to be traded?

It’s a pretty fine line cap wise if the Jets end up going long term with Perfetti. I’m sure they’re handling him first.

Reactions: Jets 31 and Buffdog

Stumbledore

Jan 1, 2018
Canada

Couldn't we just declare a tie in this pissing contest and everyone go have a beer and reload?

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Couldn't we just declare a tie in this pissing contest and everyone go have a beer and reload?
It's not a contest. We have differing opinions, so by definition nobody "wins". For me it's not about being "right", it's about being accused of saying things I've never said and holding positions that I don't hold

Imagine someone telling you that you think something that you don't, in fact, think. Then arguing against that position instead of what you actually said

But I will have that beer later tonight after I mow the lawn lol

Reactions: Jets 31

Stumbledore

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
Imagine someone telling you that you think something that you don't, in fact, think. Then arguing against that position instead of what you actually said
You mean like someone telling me that what I said was creepy when actually it wasn't?

No, I can't imagine that ever happening in here.

• Haha

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad