Prospect Info: Logan Mailloux Part 3 The Only Hockey Talk Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Walksss

Mar 26, 2013
At the same age Mailloux isn’t better then Beaulieu was, but my point wasn’t that Mailloux is the next Beaulieu. It’s that they have the same massive weakness even if they have very nice tools

At the same age Beaulieu had 31 points in 67 games in the AHL, a .46 pts/G average. Mailloux had 47 points in 71 games, a .66 pts/G average while being an AHL all star.

Not to mention that Mailloux had basically 2 years of almost no development or experience due to covid and his suspension. Not sure how you could say Mailloux isn't the better prospect at the same age, he obviously is.

MTL Dirty Birdy

Aug 29, 2021
Good. He was eating minutes at ever other level and they don’t have to win now. If he can play acceptable D he’ll be amazing.

I didn’t like what I saw in his two games. He’ll need to get a lot faster and stronger. I suspect he’ll always be a liability on D in the playoffs, but that depends on him and how the league evolves.
He’ll get paired with Reinbacher down the line quite possibly. And if he does, he will be fine. DR covers A LOT of ice fast and is going to be able to give him the freedom to relate offence.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
At the same age Beaulieu had 31 points in 67 games in the AHL, a .46 pts/G average. Mailloux had 47 points in 71 games, a .66 pts/G average while being an AHL all star.

Not to mention that Mailloux had basically 2 years of almost no development or experience due to covid and his suspension. Not sure how you could say Mailloux isn't the better prospect at the same age, he obviously is.
Beaulieu was the Bulldogs best point producer, top 25 for Dmen in the AHL, played with Team Canada at the U20 and almost made the team at when he was a JNR so yes they where the same tier of prospect even if the goal of my comments wasn’t to compare those 2

• Haha
Reactions: Toene and nicehiss

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
Beaulieu was the Bulldogs best point producer, top 25 for Dmen in the AHL, played with Team Canada at the U20 and almost made the team at when he was a JNR so yes they where the same tier of prospect even if the goal of my comments wasn’t to compare those 2

Mailloux was top 3 in point producing blueliners in the AHL this year.

You may have not meant to compare them, but you’re off base. Both of their weaknesses may very well be hockey IQ, but Mailloux has shown constant progression since being drafted and that includes abbreviated playing time.

Beaulieu more or less stopped progressing in junior.

Mailloux’s biggest advantage is his shot, he’s going to have a shot good enough to score 10+ goals a year in the NHL on a regular basis.

McGuires Corndog

Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
I am convinced that Logan Mailloux will have the most eye opening training camp of any prospect. Just wait...

Would be great news for the team.

How do you have the D-corps going into the season?

I personally think Hutson makes the team over Mailloux, but I wouldn’t t be surprised or upset if it was the other way around either.

Reactions: Tyson

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Would be great news for the team.

How do you have the D-corps going into the season?

I personally think Hutson makes the team over Mailloux, but I wouldn’t t be surprised or upset if it was the other way around either.
So many good young players.
While I think Mailloux will have a great camp I still want more AHL time for him, possibly a half season more. He hasn't played alot of hockey in the past 3 years and doesn't need to clear waivers.
I really like Struble but he also is waiver exempt.
Hutson I just think is elite and probably makes the team but he has to play.
Barron probably makes the team because he is not waiver eligible.
Reinbacher is another top end prospect that I see starting in Laval.
Matheson- Guhle
Savard- Hutson
Xhekaj- Barron / Struble

Hughes will have to find room for Mailloux and Reinbacher but he has time.

Of course there will be injuries!

Beer and Chips

Feb 5, 2018
While I think Mailloux will have a great camp I still want more AHL time for him, possibly a half season more. He hasn't played alot of hockey in the past 3 years and doesn't need to clear waivers.
Matheson- Guhle
Savard- Hutson
Xhekaj- Barron / Struble

Barron needs to play to increase his trade value so Mailloux and Reinbacher have to the TDL to get ready, imho.

Reactions: DAChampion

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
Matheson- Guhle
Savard- Hutson
Xhekaj- Barron / Struble

Do you think Hutson plays on his weak side and Savard on his weak side? I agree with your pairings, just wasn't sure if that was by design.

I agree with everything here.

Ideally, both Mailloux and Reinbacher play their way into the lineup by the TDL so we can move Matheson and Savard, with Guhle going back to his strong side. I do think that Mailloux will be ahead of Rein this year in development, and is most likely to get the call or make it out of camp.

In a fantasy dreamlike land, we are playoff bound and keep Savard and Matheson, for our run (don't care if we lose Savard for nothing in summer). While the run is happening, Mailloux and Reinbacher are dominating and making it increasingly difficult to keep them down. Struble can be the odd man out, and traded at the TDL for a UFA on a crappy team, who can plug whatever hole we have for our playoff push.

Start with....

Matheson - Guhle
Hutson - Savard
Xhekaj - Barron
Struble

Finish with....

Matheson - Guhle
Hutson - Reinbacher/Mailloux
Xhekaj - Barron
Savard

If Barron flames out....we relegate him in our push to the pressbox and plug in Rein or Mailloux.

Everything is contingent on how they develop this year....but I think they will be ready for us. Like you, I think Mailloux comes out ready at camp.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013

Well you have to keep in mind Beaulieu's 31 points had him tied as the team's top point getter. It's doubtful Mailloux would've had 47 points if the best forward on the team had 31 points like it was for Beaulieu. And I'm not sure how missing a bunch of time somehow a positive for Mailloux. It's a negative, it's something that he will have to overcome and hopefully does.

People are letting what Beaulieu eventually did (A whole lot of nothing) colour their view of how he was seen back then. For example here's ESPN having him at 44 among all NHL prospects (Set in January 2014 so not a perfect comparison date wise), and I remember him getting as high as the 20s at some point in some of these type of lists. Whereas today Mailloux is listed as #73 on HockeyWriters. Obviously these are just examples of what is essentially a few peoples opinions on prospects, but the point remains Beaulieu was seen as a guy with similar potential to Mailloux today.

And in any case like Beaulieu, what will decide Mailloux's NHL future is whether gets better defensively. I like Mailloux's chances of doing that because unlike Beaulieu he'll actually have support and an environment that promotes player development instead of Lefebvre and Therrien being in charge and spewing nonsense.

Reactions: Vachon23

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Do you think Hutson plays on his weak side and Savard on his weak side? I agree with your pairings, just wasn't sure if that was by design.

I agree with everything here.

Ideally, both Mailloux and Reinbacher play their way into the lineup by the TDL so we can move Matheson and Savard, with Guhle going back to his strong side. I do think that Mailloux will be ahead of Rein this year in development, and is most likely to get the call or make it out of camp.

In a fantasy dreamlike land, we are playoff bound and keep Savard and Matheson, for our run (don't care if we lose Savard for nothing in summer). While the run is happening, Mailloux and Reinbacher are dominating and making it increasingly difficult to keep them down. Struble can be the odd man out, and traded at the TDL for a UFA on a crappy team, who can plug whatever hole we have for our playoff push.

Start with....

Matheson - Guhle
Hutson - Savard
Xhekaj - Barron
Struble

Finish with....

Matheson - Guhle
Hutson - Reinbacher/Mailloux
Xhekaj - Barron
Savard

If Barron flames out....we relegate him in our push to the pressbox and plug in Rein or Mailloux.

Everything is contingent on how they develop this year....but I think they will be ready for us. Like you, I think Mailloux comes out ready at camp.
Savard on RD of course, Lane on the left side.
I am not sure what happens to Barron if he doesn't take the next step at Camp. I am still holding out hope that management doesn't give up on him too quickly. Let's remember that he has not played 100 NHL games yet. Hughes has shown some very smart thinking and I believe he won't give up on him this quickly.

Reactions: waitin425

McGuires Corndog

Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
Well you have to keep in mind Beaulieu's 31 points had him tied as the team's top point getter. It's doubtful Mailloux would've had 47 points if the best forward on the team had 31 points like it was for Beaulieu. And I'm not sure how missing a bunch of time somehow a positive for Mailloux. It's a negative, it's something that he will have to overcome and hopefully does.

People are letting what Beaulieu eventually did (A whole lot of nothing) colour their view of how he was seen back then. For example here's ESPN having him at 44 among all NHL prospects (Set in January 2014 so not a perfect comparison date wise), and I remember him getting as high as the 20s at some point in some of these type of lists. Whereas today Mailloux is listed as #73 on HockeyWriters. Obviously these are just examples of what is essentially a few peoples opinions on prospects, but the point remains Beaulieu was seen as a guy with similar potential to Mailloux today.

And in any case like Beaulieu, what will decide Mailloux's NHL future is whether gets better defensively. I like Mailloux's chances of doing that because unlike Beaulieu he'll actually have support and an environment that promotes player development instead of Lefebvre and Therrien being in charge and spewing nonsense.

Part of the reason for Beaulieu being ranked higher at the same juncture in their careers was due to exposure. He didn’t miss much if any time, and his junior career was rather prolific with the Memorial cup runs and the WJC stints. The issue is he pretty much stagnated after being drafted, most of us were too excited by his junior pedigree to really see it. He’s was our best prospect by a country mile due to our pool being so shallow.

Mailloux on the other hand, while I agree with what you’re saying that not playing as much is a negative.. We see clear signs of progression in him from year to year. Also of note is that Mailloux is buried behind Hutson and Reinbacher on the immediate prospect depth chart, he’s an after thought to a lot of people outside of our market because of it. He will have far less pressure and need to immediately make an impact.

Reactions: Sorinth

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Part of the reason for Beaulieu being ranked higher at the same juncture in their careers was due to exposure. He didn’t miss much if any time, and his junior career was rather prolific with the Memorial cup runs and the WJC stints. The issue is he pretty much stagnated after being drafted, most of us were too excited by his junior pedigree to really see it. He’s was our best prospect by a country mile due to our pool being so shallow.

Mailloux on the other hand, while I agree with what you’re saying that not playing as much is a negative.. We see clear signs of progression in him from year to year. Also of note is that Mailloux is buried behind Hutson and Reinbacher on the immediate prospect depth chart, he’s an after thought to a lot of people outside of our market because of it. He will have far less pressure and need to immediately make an impact.
For sure no one will dispute that Beaulieu stagnated and just never developed. But as prospects they do have some parallels in their game/profile and at the same age they both had similar potential. Beaulieu didn't realize any of his potential, with Mailloux time will tell. We have such a better supporting staff/culture that the odds favour Mailloux much more then they ever did Beaulieu.

In terms of clear signs of progression from Mailloux, I just don't know. All the missed games just make it too hard to judge. It's like Dach, did we really see signs of progression last year compared to the year before, with it only being 4 periods there's just no way to really know for sure. Mailloux being healthy and showing progression this year will go a long way to alleviating any concerns.

rickthegoon

Feb 25, 2012
Matheson- Guhle
Savard- Hutson
Xhekaj- Barron / Struble

Good assessment; I am starting to think that unless he makes a big jump in his skill set, Barron will quickly become the righty version of Harris…. When Mailloux and Reinbacher hit their stride, Barron will become expendable like Harris had become on the left side.

Reactions: Tyson

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
Don’t be shocked if the big 3 rookies all spend significant time in Laval this year and Hughes grabs the next Kovacevic off waivers for the 7th spot. We need to keep in mind that they’re going to want all young D getting significant playing time and they probably don’t want Barron or Struble sitting. I can see them determining that it’ll be better for those 3 to play big minutes in Laval while Barron and Struble get more time in the nhl. Unless someone comes in and really blows their socks off of course. Just my prediction.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
''My goal when I arrive to the camp is to show that I'm able to play agaisnt the best forwards of the opponent team. I hope to prove that I'm able to play a all-around game every games. Last year, I learned that consistency is what keep you in the lineup day and night. That's one the most important things. I'm ready! I hope I'll be a part of the Montreal Canadiens future!''

Reactions: Redux91

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad