News: Logan Couture signed to an 8 year, $64 million extension; official on Sunday

TheWayToRefJose

Oct 30, 2017
Logan Couture 8/8 lmao that's awful. Run John run!

8 to someone that hasn't seen 70 points in their life bahaha
Yea, you mean the Center who has played a shutdown role often in his career and who is a monster in the playoffs? The guy who is one of the few to put up 30 points in a playoff run?

You're right. He's garbage. Probably couldn't give him away with this contract. Gonna have to buy him out next year.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Is it just me or is that a lot of money for a guy that always seems like the secondary offensive option on his team?

He's been really consistent in terms of PPG with 0.75 through 582 games with the Sharks and he had 30 pts in that cup final run which tells you about his ability in big games and overall skillset.

This is a team that's had Jumbo playing at a high level and prime Pavelski throughout his time in SJ so that plays a part in what you said. But times are changing and unless they get JT he's going to be their 1C for the majority of that contract.

And even if they do, this is what it costs to lock up +60 point centers who are about to hit UFA these days.

Jan 21, 2018
why does his playoff performance keep getting brought up? is that to justify him getting overpaid?

he's a great #2C. just because he happened to produce really well in the playoffs before, is no guarentee he will going forward. it's such a small sample size that you're delusional if you think couture just coasts all season so he can save his skill for the playoffs.

If the Sharks land Tavares this contract is fine. You can afford to overpay a bit in that case.

But if Couture is your #1C getting paid 8M...ouch.

Contenderorpretender

Oct 10, 2017
It's a fair deal. Couture plays a good 200ft game and puts up decent points. In comparison to evander this is a great deal. I find it odd that Wilson makes a terrible deal (imo) with Kane and can make this deal happen.

Yamazaki

Feb 9, 2018
upload_2018-6-30_10-39-13.jpeg

TheWayToRefJose

Oct 30, 2017
why does his playoff performance keep getting brought up? is that to justify him getting overpaid?

he's a great #2C. just because he happened to produce really well in the playoffs before, is no guarentee he will going forward. it's such a small sample size that you're delusional if you think couture just coasts all season so he can save his skill for the playoffs.

If the Sharks land Tavares this contract is fine. You can afford to overpay a bit in that case.

But if Couture is your #1C getting paid 8M...ouch.
I think having 77 points in his last 81 games in the playoffs is no longer a small sample size. He's proven himself to be a playoff performer.

Reactions: Clowe Me

Kegsey

Defense be scared, Hertl coming.
Oct 20, 2011
Canada
He's been our best player overall for years. Couldn't be happier to lock him up.

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
what's pavelski worth honestly? He's put up better numbers than every year couture since 2012-13, but he'll be just about to turn 35 when he hits UFA (so the 35+ rule won't be in effect here). Say 2-3 years at 6 million?
Ye he should atleast the Marleau deal if he has another good season. Highly doubt Sharks can afford to keep him after the upcoming season if they get Tavares. Dont think they would want to trade him during the season either because they wanna win. Speculation obviously but i think he will play out the season in San Jose and leave next summer if they get Tavares. If they dont get Tavares, they can afford to keep him.

third man in

Jul 27, 2007
Maryland
Not saying this isn't a fair deal, but I sure am glad the Caps locked up Kuznetsov at 8 x 7.8 last year. As long as the Cap keeps raising so do salaries.

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
Too much money for a player who's topped out at 67 points. Are 60 points centres really worth 8 million now?
Yes. Stepan got 6,5 in 15/16 and that was 9,10% of the cap. Couture getting 8 million starting in 19/20 is just over 10% of the cap right now. Lets say the cap goes up to 82 million next season when his contract kicks in. 8 million will be 9,76% of the cap. Couture is better than Stepan so its fair he gets a little more than him.

Statsny got 10,14% of the cap in 2014 when he got 7 million a year for example. So Couture getting 8 million is fine.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Yes. Stepan got 6,5 in 15/16 and that was 9,10% of the cap. Couture getting 8 million starting in 19/20 is just over 10% of the cap right now. Lets say the cap goes up to 82 million next season when his contract kicks in. 8 million will be 9,76% of the cap. Couture is better than Stepan so its fair he gets a little more than him.

Statsny got 10,14% of the cap in 2014 when he got 7 million a year for example. So Couture getting 8 million is fine.

Personally I wouldn't give a centre who's never reached 70 points that kind of money.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
8 million per for 5 years? Sure

6 million per for 8 years? Sure

8 million per for 8 years? No chance

The Sharks gave a player heading into his 30's both term and a high yearly salary. When has that ever ended well for the team?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad