Confirmed with Link: Locker Room Exit Interviews Monday May 6 (Players and Keefe) + Pelley/Shanny/Tre on Friday VIDEO LINK PG 57

Will Keefe be fired next week?

• Yes

Votes: 293 85.9%
  • No

Votes: 48 14.1%

• Total voters

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
The next time anyone says Toronto is a hard market to play in, show them yesterday's media availabilities.

Not a single person with a microphone capable of asking anything resembling a difficult or challenging question. Baffled that not one single reporter asked JT or MM about their No Movement Clauses, or Morgan Rielly about his own play in the series.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
The next time anyone says Toronto is a hard market to play in, show them yesterday's media availabilities.

Not a single person with a microphone capable of asking anything resembling a difficult or challenging question. Baffled that not one single reporter asked JT or MM about their No Movement Clauses, or Morgan Rielly about his own play in the series.
Reading this thread yesterday, I saw it said numerous times, so I guess I’ll ask today:

What about NMCs do you want asked? Do you think you get an answer? Why do you think, for even a second, that a question about an NMC is productive?

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Reading this thread yesterday, I saw it said numerous times, so I guess I’ll ask today:

What about NMCs do you want asked? Do you think you get an answer? Why do you think, for even a second, that a question about an NMC is productive?
  1. Would you ever consider waiving your NMC if asked?
  2. Do you expect to get asked at all about your NMC?
  3. With a NMC, do you ever consider what your response would be if you were asked about the possibility of waiving your NMC?
  4. How much thought have you given about what comes next for this group after another disappointing playoff, and has the possibility of a fresh start elsewhere ever crossed your mind?
Plenty of ways to ask about it that aren't intrusive or rude.

Do I think we'd get an answer? Journalism 101 - you never know until you ask the question; someone asked about the f***ing Coyotes yesterday at a Leafs locker room clearance, and got an answer, so you might end up with something telling. It wouldn't be the first time a throwaway question was posed to this group that led to an unexpected answer that no one was expecting.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
  3. With a NMC, do you ever consider what your response would be if you were asked about the possibility of waiving your NMC?
  4. How much thought have you given about what comes next for this group after another disappointing playoff, and has the possibility of a fresh start elsewhere ever crossed your mind?

Do I think we'd get an answer? Journalism 101 - you never know until you ask the question; someone asked about the f***ing Coyotes yesterday at a Leafs locker room clearance, and got an answer, so you might end up with something telling. It wouldn't be the first time a throwaway question was posed to this group that led to an unexpected answer that no one was expecting.
They'll just say that they haven't thought about it, they were focused on the playoffs.

Agree, the Arizona question was stupid.

The Masters

Jun 30, 2018
If Keefe wasn't fired I imagine they would have announced he was going to be at the PC on Friday.

Maybe they pushed it back to allow an extra time to get the new coach in place (Berube?)
Keefe admitting Tre gave him an option to speak or not is pretty bad lol
clear as day he knows hes gone

Think Boucher goes with him?
yes

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
They'll just say that they haven't thought about it, they were focused on the playoffs.

Agree, the Arizona question was stupid.
It's a very easy question to dodge, but you still ask it, right? It's no different than the dozens of softballs they were easily able to dodge yesterday.

Let's also not forget - Marner was asked a lay up question last month about his injury, and he randomly ranted about media narratives and speculation. These guys aren't nearly as media savvy and media trained as they should be, so you never quite know what you're going to get out of them.

Ask the question.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
It's a very easy question to dodge, but you still ask it, right? It's no different than the dozens of softballs they were easily able to dodge yesterday.

Let's also not forget - Marner was asked a lay up question last month about his injury, and he randomly ranted about media narratives and speculation. These guys aren't nearly as media savvy and media trained as they should be, so you never quite know what you're going to get out of them.

Ask the question.
Marner is absolutely brutal when interviewed, really his own worst enemy.
I don't know why so many hang on every word of his when he has trouble getting the right words out.
(I do know why, that's another topic)

Reactions: Just Rude

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
I don't know why so many hang on every word of his when he has trouble getting the right words out.
Absolutely.

Which is why I'm absolutely asking him a question about it- you just never quite know what's going to come jumbling out of his mouth. He looks increasingly more uncomfortable dealing with the media as time goes on here, which is really disappointing and disheartening to see.

Reactions: ACC1224

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
1715088093371.png

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Absolutely.

Which is why I'm absolutely asking him a question about it- you just never quite know what's going to come jumbling out of his mouth. He looks increasingly more uncomfortable dealing with the media as time goes on here, which is really disappointing and disheartening to see.
This market isn’t for everyone. No shame in that. Why don’t think Gaudreau picked Columbus? The nice quiet life. Perhaps it’s best for Marner’s mental health to look for the same. His interviews are brutal, he’s snippy and combative with the press and the heat is only going to increase. Especially if you want 12.5-13 million next time.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
If Keefe wasn't fired I imagine they would have announced he was going to be at the PC on Friday.

Maybe they pushed it back to allow an extra time to get the new coach in place (Berube?)

The optics of firing and hiring a coach within a few days seems off to me. Like last year we all knew Treliving would be the guy but they still took a good month or so to do it after doing some interviews, etc.

There's no huge rush to put Berube in unless you're worried he's going to San Jose or something. I doubt any other coach joins free agency from this point on, so it's a good bet Berube is the better option, but I would scout around assistant coaches from other teams, or perhaps AHL coaching options.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017

Didn't they ask about their next contracts?

It's another way to ask about their future here.

I don't care what people say at these pressers, it is meaningless, but the media sucks here because multiple personalities have already declared that we are shipping out Marner.

The media is saying we should ask JT to waive his NMC.

I'd hate the media here, I understand why NHL players don't like playing in Toronto.

I am sure Montreal is the same, but at least there you can come back after learning a sentence in French over the summer and all is forgiven.

Reactions: ErnieLeafs

NVious

Dec 20, 2022

Their hush tones are hilarious too, like somebody's grandmother died, no the overpaid bozos just laid an egg yet again.

Toronto is the easiest market to play in due to how pathetic the team has been historically, if you're capable of making the playoffs every year you are seen as "Gods" as per Mitchy.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
It is however a good topic to discuss and likely to include comments about his immaturity.

However in terms of being interviewed presently ...

You would expect that one of the top 10 highest paid players in the game would be interviewed constantly if he supposed to be among the games stars.
&
Anyone including Mitch should be smart enough to know certain questions are coming and as such have thought about that well in advance, to have a prepared response at the get go.

He certainly is not helping his own case by what he is coming up with off the top of his head and unprepared to handle. He is essentially tossing gasoline on his own fire for the media to run with and skewer him further over.

Telling the media "We're like Gods in Toronto" after being bounced out of the playoffs in the first round 7 of the last 8 seasons is only going to more likely get him bounced out of Toronto. IMO

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019

I suspect they pushed it back so that the story would mostly die on Friday rather than giving the media Thursday and Friday to blather on about it. But, yeah, Keefe is for sure getting fired, whether they announce it on Friday prior to that.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Didn't they ask about their next contracts?

It's another way to ask about their future here.

There's no reason to be cute or cautious when asking questions - be direct. Ask them directly?

"It's another way to ask about.... etc", just put it to them straight and see what they say. As already discussed with others, they dodged basically every other question yesterday anyway so you might as well see if you get something poignant out of them.

It's a failure of duty on the part of the media in attendance yesterday imo, especially those that cover this team full time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad