Confirmed with Link: Locker Room Exit Interviews Monday May 6 (Players and Keefe) + Pelley/Shanny/Tre on Friday VIDEO LINK PG 57

Will Keefe be fired next week?

• Yes

Votes: 293 85.9%
  • No

Votes: 48 14.1%

• Total voters

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Who did he lose that had provided a significant more amount of skill?

The entire D core got worse at transitioning the puck, which will limit the offensive ability of everyone.

Our bottom 6 got less skilled as well.

The top 6 remained relatively the same.

And once again, the top 6 didn't produce well, and the bottom 6 and all the D looked worse offensively.

Woll made this round closer than it should have been.

myleafs

May 25, 2021
If word that Jon Cooper wants to be a president is real, I wouldn’t mind that. You have a cup champion and lawyer in that role. Experience with a skill based cup winner. I wouldn’t mind that.
yes please

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Very good leak from Fried.

ya he gets paid $5M a year to do nothing. He is not Masai Ujiri who's been a GM and even though Bobby is the GM, Masai is heavily involved in basketball ops and everything runs through him.

The other way to look at this is a Rogers cost cutting move and we might be running into a cheaper, leaner, meaner MLSE in the grand tradition of penny pinching.

Not that I want the Leafs to have an expensive president that doesn’t do anything, nor do I care if they do because it’s not my money, but when you see many franchises running the same model of president-GM partnership, why would we go with less? If anything don’t we want a Jimmy Rutherford level veteran to work with a Treliving, aka do the Shanahan job but better?

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
But make no mistake, this would be a long (and public) journey to redemption. I don't think Toronto - of all environments - is the best place for that. Somewhere like Columbus would be a good fit, kind of like it should have been with Babcock had he not blown it.

if Keefe and his turbulent history with Frost could do it, I'm sure Q would be just fine.

Reactions: rutz

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I want this to be as uncomfortable and painful as possible for the leads management/coaches/players

Dont ask stupid nothing questions. Call out everyone and every decision.

Some media reporter needs to instigate a fire that gets MLSE to make changes needed
I feel the same, ask the tough questions please media shills…….

Reactions: rutz

The Masters

Jun 30, 2018
The other way to look at this is a Rogers cost cutting move and we might be running into a cheaper, leaner, meaner MLSE in the grand tradition of penny pinching.

Not that I want the Leafs to have an expensive president that doesn’t do anything, nor do I care if they do because it’s not my money, but when you see many franchises running the same model of president-GM partnership, why would we go with less? If anything don’t we want a Jimmy Rutherford level veteran to work with a Treliving, aka do the Shanahan job but better?
A reminder that Shanny is president of Leafs of both Business and Hockey
Now that Keith is here, board prob says we dont need shanny for business anymore and he is not a GM so whats the point of keeping him
I dont think they are going to suddenly be a cheap organization but with Pelley on board, they prob dont need Shanny to run business of Leafs anymore. Plus he is not a hockey GM and they probably look at the results of him and said whats the point ? enough already. At least Tre is a hockey GM. As long as Pelley doesnt interfere I dont mind this set up

Last edited:

Just Rude

"I'm listening to the *** song!!!"
Oct 15, 2005
Keefe should be gone this week. I don’t think Pelly firing Shanahan without a viable blue chip superstar executive actually makes sense right now.
They could also eliminate the President position altogether.

The CEO reports to the Board, and the GM reports to the CEO (Pelley), coach reports to the GM.

He's got an impressive background, including CEO of the European Tour. He is from TO. I think he is the "superstar."

ER89

Jul 25, 2018
I'm not as angry this time around for some reason, maybe because I liked the character of the team more. We didn't seem far away this time, I don't have the pitchfork mentality.

We need a new voice, a better goalie tandem and another D man that can chew minutes AND move a puck. Couple trades and tweaks, I'm happy. Blow it up is nonsense at this point to me, this team is actually close, raw emotions aside. I liked a lot of what I saw, we have some warriors to build around too.
Nawwwwwww

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
I would guess he gives Treliving the keys (aka a budget/sack of money) and judges him based on results.

What could go wrong?

Screenshot 2024-05-06 at 8.49.47 AM.png

Berube sounds like the coaching replacement too... will be interesting.

Can't see us getting better, but hope we do.

sunstersun

May 12, 2017
Not really a fan of this idea. Can we just get a decent President?

The Leafs would be better off copying greatness than trying to innovative it.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
A reminder that Shanny is president of Leafs of both Business and Hockey
Now that Keith is here, board prob says we dont need shanny for business anymore and he is not a GM so whats the point of keeping him
I dont think they are going to suddenly be a cheap organization but with Pelley on board, they prob dont need Shanny to run business of Leafs anymore. Plus he is not a hockey GM and they probably look at the results of him and said whats the point of keeping him. At least Tre is a hockey GM. As long as Pelley doesnt interfere I dont mind this set up

I don’t care that much, but I kinda care if that makes sense. If there’s ever a senior GM like a Doug Armstrong or something and you need to steal him away and give him the president of hockey ops positions of the Toronto Maple Leafs, I’d rather have that position as something that could be offered than having a non cap limitation put on the organization. I vaguely like the idea that a prestige franchise can offer a prestige role to attract the best people.

Plus the imbalance between the Raptors and Leafs, with Masai in his role as president. Just feels. Cheap. And Keith Pelley isn’t a hockey guy.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Keefe should be gone this week. I don’t think Pelly firing Shanahan without a viable blue chip superstar executive actually makes sense right now. The most politically prudent move would be to come in quietly like an evaluator and just take stock of the whole organization and project a steady hands kind of vibe. Use one year to start making big change.

Last thing you want is a panic hire with a mandate for change on a short timeline. If Shanahan is lame duck and not renewed, you can bring in the new president next year. The real victim here may be Treliving who could be caught up in the gears through no fault of his own.
Wouldn't be at all surprising to see Shanahan fired and Treliving given the Presidents role.
He could then shop for a GM and Coach.

Reactions: egd27

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Maybe Marner wants out which is why he didnt care these playoffs or talk to media post game 7. Look at the beating he's getting in the media. That isn't fun for a home town kid.
Every little bit of help to encourage 16 to move on is a good thing, I’m not happy with any of the core, but getting rid of him and Mo is a great place to start, perhaps the Utah team name can be the phantoms, perfect place for 16 and 44 to play……..

Reactions: arso40

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Coach firing seems like a summer move. I doubt they do it right away.

I think they wait until brindamor is eliminated in Carolina and go after him

Doing it Thursday makes it seem rushed and emotional. It isn’t. But it will look that way

Same - they wouldn't fire Keefe unless they have a clear succession plan in place or were convinced that no active Head or Assistant Coach among remaining teams were valid candidates.

If they already have someone in mind (Berube, Julien, Sutter), you'd want to make that change ASAP just to get them in sync with Treliving, scouts, etc. to gear up for the draft.

They don't need to have the next coach ready to go in order to fire Keefe. Nothing wrong with letting the entire hockey world know that there is a head coaching opportunity in Toronto.

All sorts of agents would be calling to inquire.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
We were spoiled with the Dubas and Shanny presser last year. Those boys just finished watching Succession and fancied themselves Logan and Kendell.

This year is not going to provide 20 minutes of drama with a play-by-play of GM contract negotiations detailing what they've been discussing over email.

Maybe this year it’ll be like Fallout… radioactive.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
No president might mean more meddling owners (or ceo). Are we sure that's good news?

I think the president of hockey ops is a nice buffer from a potentially chaotic ownership structure above. I rather we have one and it’s just a good person for the job than have it be eliminated in the name of corporate efficiency.

The Masters

Jun 30, 2018
I don’t care that much, but I kinda care if that makes sense. If there’s ever a senior GM like a Doug Armstrong or something and you need to steal him away and give him the president of hockey ops positions of the Toronto Maple Leafs, I’d rather have that position as something that could be offered than having a non cap limitation put on the organization. I vaguely like the idea that a prestige franchise can offer a prestige role to attract the best people.

Plus the imbalance between the Raptors and Leafs, with Masai in his role as president. Just feels. Cheap. And Keith Pelley isn’t a hockey guy.
I agree in a sense that a storied franchise like the Leafs should have a big name president but at the end of the day, they tried that for 8 years with Shanny. It really doesn't matter if the results are subpar which they have been. I mean 1 series win in 8 years is really bad. They've made money with Shanny but how much could they have won after multiple deep runs? The board is likely fed up at this point.

If Tre builds a winning hockey team that wins in the playoffs, I dont think people will care.

They don't need a coach, really, until the draft at the earliest. They won't leave Keefe blowing in the wind as he will be unable to seek new employment if he's still in limbo here.

If they're going to move on from him it will be this week.
bingo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad