Confirmed with Link: Locker Room Exit Interviews Monday May 6 (Players and Keefe) + Pelley/Shanny/Tre on Friday VIDEO LINK PG 57

Will Keefe be fired next week?

• Yes

Votes: 293 85.9%
  • No

Votes: 48 14.1%

• Total voters

LeafsFan89

Jan 2, 2011
A new coach may help, sure. I am tired of Keefe too. But the changes also need to happen to the roster - Marner, JT, Rielly, need to move out somehow etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: rutz and arso40

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
To me, last years TB win was lucky. TB outplayed Leafs, and Bolts even missed Hedman and they other Dman for most of the series. Leafs got 3 lucky OT goals on screen shots or JT's lucky bouncer off someone.

As for this series, if Leafs were healthy would they beat Boston? Maybe. But given history, Leafs in playoffs they usually are healthy and it's made no difference in round 1 series losses.

I disagree that the Lightning outplayed the Leafs to any significant margin. At best it was a coin flip.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
I remember after last season's exit there was some doubt cast by Joe Bowen - on air, even, during the handshake lines :laugh: - on whether or not he'd be back.

Has there been any mention on his status since Saturday?

AllHeartNoSkill

Nov 23, 2008
Leafs fans waiting for news this week:

1714996177681.gif

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Dreger simping for Keefe and Shanahan this morning and making it sound like both come back
Shanahan coming back wouldn’t shock me, but Keefe being here in Septemeber would shock me. Especially after his press conference and how coaching played a major part in the series loss.

Reactions: arso40

Hugh Mongusbig

Mar 7, 2012
Unless the core 4 come out and say they are all willing to renegotiate their deals, all to take smaller %'s of the Cap to improve the team, then who gives a $%^&@ what these guys are going to say today.

and we all know there is ZERO chance of that happening.

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
To me, last years TB win was lucky. TB outplayed Leafs, and Bolts even missed Hedman and they other Dman for most of the series. Leafs got 3 lucky OT goals on screen shots or JT's lucky bouncer off someone.

As for this series, if Leafs were healthy would they beat Boston? Maybe. But given history, Leafs in playoffs they usually are healthy and it's made no difference in round 1 series losses.
Your luck argument is full on nonsense. Luck has never determined the winner of a 7 game series and never will.

Reactions: Tak7

The Masters

Jun 30, 2018
Maybe Marner wants out which is why he didnt care these playoffs or talk to media post game 7. Look at the beating he's getting in the media. That isn't fun for a home town kid.

Reactions: CincoHolio

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
It should be a fairly serious house cleaning. Shanahan, Keefe and his coaching staff. Tre should be safe, I'd like to see what he can do without being handcuffed.

Bring in a new president who holds no loyalty to this spoiled bunch of brats. Babcock warned us. I wouldn't mind Berube....but for the love of f*ck, bring in someone with experience. No more rookie GMs and coaches.

Also, there has to be change to the roster. It doesn't work. Matthews/Nylander aren't going anywhere for obvious reasons, Tavares has a year left and he's gone unless he comes back at a HEAVILY discounted contract. Marner is already overpaid and has been an issue since being drafted.

You saw the start of Tre's vision this year.

Less skill, better fighters.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Maybe Marner wants out which is why he didnt care these playoffs or talk to media post game 7. Look at the beating he's getting in the media. That isn't fun for a home town kid.
This is the only reason why Marner moving his NMC isn't at 0% in my mind.

I just wonder whether he personally feels like a change of scenery is what he needs - Jonas also alluded to the fact that the people whispering in his ears need to be tuned out, which I don't think will happen; even if he does want out the door, I have a hard time thinking his entourage will let him.

WilliamInLondon

Mar 24, 2016
I thought about this and this was one of two conclusions that I came to. The other is that he buries his head in the sand when times get tough, which is why didn't speak to the media post game 7. Both options are likely, but I'm more inclined to believe the latter when triangulating how he carries/carried himself versus someone like Nylander or even Rielly (who also didn't show up for the media scrum).

I think the only way Marner asks to leave is via a post July 1st sign and trade. In spite of the lambasting from the media, he's not going to volunteer to accept a trade to another city when he's better off spending PP1 and regular ice time with Matthews/Nylander/Tavares/etc. in a contract year vs. Frank Vatrano or Jared McCann. If I'm his agent, I enforce the NMC unless there's "safe passage" via a sign-and-trade to a place of Marner's choosing.

Deep down, I think Marner plays out the last season with the Leafs in the secret hope at one last chance for redemption. If they go far next spring and he busts out, he'll probably hope that all is forgiven and he would re-sign at a contract favourable to him ($13M+).

Reactions: The Masters

tuckerintensity

armed with will and determination
Jul 16, 2022
Unless the core 4 come out and say they are all willing to renegotiate their deals, all to take smaller %'s of the Cap to improve the team, then who gives a $%^&@ what these guys are going to say today.

and we all know there is ZERO chance of that happening.
We do know there is zero chance of that happening because it is illegal per the CBA.

Just Rude

"I'm listening to the *** song!!!"
Oct 15, 2005
I would be completed shocked if Keefe is still here Thursday. Pelley's not an idiot. He wants to put his stamp on this team, and the fans are pissed.

The same applies to Shanahan. I think he's gone as well.

IMO, 99.9% sure Keefe will be gassed and Berube will be named head coach this week, and about probably 75% sure Shanahan is gone too.

Big changes are needed on and off the ice.

Reactions: CapspaceKiller

BTP

Apr 28, 2013
Coach firing seems like a summer move. I doubt they do it right away.

I think they wait until brindamor is eliminated in Carolina and go after him

Doing it Thursday makes it seem rushed and emotional. It isn’t. But it will look that way

WilliamInLondon

Mar 24, 2016
Coach firing seems like a summer move. I doubt they do it right away.

I think they wait until brindamor is eliminated in Carolina and go after him

Doing it Thursday makes it seem rushed and emotional. It isn’t. But it will look that way

Same - they wouldn't fire Keefe unless they have a clear succession plan in place or were convinced that no active Head or Assistant Coach among remaining teams were valid candidates.

If they already have someone in mind (Berube, Julien, Sutter), you'd want to make that change ASAP just to get them in sync with Treliving, scouts, etc. to gear up for the draft.

Reactions: Duffman955

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad